All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sport Drinks
      #359297 - 06/15/10 07:58 PM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

Before, during and after my workouts I need a simple sugar for quick energy absorption. Currently I take Gatorade and was wondering if the ingredients would be a trigger for IBS? And if so, any sports drink you can recommend?

Ingredients: sugar, dextrose, citric acid, natural flavours, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, calcium silicate (a flow agent), coconut oil, brominated vegetable oil(contains soybean oil), colour, also contains soy ingredients.

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sport Drinks new
      #359303 - 06/16/10 04:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Coconut Water is becoming more popular so more stores are carrying it. It can be called Zico, O.N.E. Conconut Water, and others. It is a great drink for electrolytes and the sugars in it are all natural not added.

#359309 - 06/16/10 08:58 AM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

I know coconut can be a trigger for IBS but would that mean coconut water may be as well?

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

Coconut water is fine if ... new
      #359310 - 06/16/10 09:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

it does not contain high fructose corn syrup or other IBS unfriendly ingredients. I drink pure coconut water from time to time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359319 - 06/16/10 04:24 PM
Sheeda

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Barbados

i don't know about the commercial stuff, but i had a bad experience with pure coconut water, i assumed it was because coconut is so fatty

--------------------
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”- Mary Anne Radmacher

#359320 - 06/16/10 06:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While cocomut itself is high in fat coconut water contains a very small amount of fat. ZICO is an example coconut water product. Coconut milk can contain a lot of fat.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359321 - 06/16/10 06:37 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Coconut water does have natural sugars, glucose and slightly more fructose than glucose. I find I can not drink that much at once probably because of the fructose. But if you don't have problems with fructose I would think it would be totally safe.

#359339 - 06/17/10 02:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Since when has Gatorade not had HFCS? Has it changed?
I drink Sobe Life Water and Crystal Light Pure Fitness for electrolytes which I require in summer.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

update! new
      #359385 - 06/21/10 07:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It looks like Gatorade and its rip offs have removed HFCS and just have benign ingredients. I don't suggest going crazy with them but if anyone wants to try them now you can. I wouldn't consider all the artificial stuff in them healthy, but I will have it now and again during sweating.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359445 - 06/24/10 11:05 AM
RobertNY

Reged: 12/29/09

I've seen the Sobe Life waters at my local Duane Reade. They have 2 versions, 0 calorie and regular. Are any particular flavors better for sensitive stomachs. Should I stay away from the 0 calorie versions? -thanks

Quote:

Since when has Gatorade not had HFCS? Has it changed?
I drink Sobe Life Water and Crystal Light Pure Fitness for electrolytes which I require in summer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review