All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best Probiotic to take?
      #358991 - 06/01/10 06:58 AM
JLynnScov

Reged: 05/20/10

I'm looking for help in choosing a Probiotic.

Does anyone take Culturelle Probiotic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best Probiotic to take? new
      #358993 - 06/01/10 07:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Few probiotics have been clinically tested for effectiveness on IBS. The two most widely test are Align and VSL#3. There have been some small clinical trials done on Digestive Advantage and Lactobacillus plantarum.

The American Gastroenterology Society's Task Force on managing IBS (reference below) reported that probiotics containing Lactobacillus bacteria have no impact on symptoms and while those that contain Bifidobacteria bacteria such as Align tend to improve IBS symptoms. There is a recent announcement that Lactobacillus plantarum may have some beneficial effects although the results of this study have yet to be published. Culturelle only contains Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Reference
Brandt, L. J. et al. An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome - American College of Gastroenterology Task Force on IBS . The American Journal of Gastroenterology 104 (2009)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359011 - 06/01/10 08:05 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

years ago before i had been to a dr i tried digestive advantage ibs - it made a hugh difference right away...i stopped taking it when i went to a gi dr and was put on bentyl - i didn't realize the digestive advantage was a probiotic at that time so i thought i didn't need both - in the past year or so i've tried align, phillips colon health and now i'm taking digestive advantage again - along with meds from my gi dr - align did nothing, phillips colon health seemed to help alittle, i'm going to stay with digestive advantage for now b/c i remember how it really made a difference long before i knew what ibs really was and before i had tried any type of meds at all...it's worth a try i think...

#359013 - 06/01/10 08:17 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Anyone hear of 3lac? I heard its very good for Candida yeast overgrowth.

#359052 - 06/03/10 07:59 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

align and phillips did nothing for me either.

#359067 - 06/03/10 04:39 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You know, it's strange that you posted this. This is about what happened to me with probiotics.

I started with Digestive Advantage, too. It did help, but I switched because several were raving about Align. What a TOTAL waste of money that was. So then I decided to go back to Digestive Advantage. It did not seem to help as much as the first time around. Then I went to Phillips Colon Health and that worked great for awhile, and then it was ineffective.

So, it seems at least for me, they work for awhile and then stop working as well. I was going to try the one that Capricorn posted about, but I have decided I won't do anything for awhile, and see how that goes.

#359069 - 06/03/10 06:12 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

what do you all notice when they "stop working"? now that i am on librax and lomotil as needed, i sorta don't know what the digestive advantage might be doing for me exactly?? when i first tried it i wasn't on any other meds so i felt like it gave me less "D" episodes.

#359156 - 06/09/10 05:57 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I think I'm gonna do the same thing....I don't notice that much, if any, improvement with any probiotic.

#359158 - 06/09/10 07:07 AM
debbylev

Reged: 04/08/10
Loc: SC

I am currently trying the Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support which has L.plantarum 299v. You are supposed to feel results within a month of taking them. I have been using them for two weeks and I do feel a difference. Here is a link so you can read about them Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support Hope this might work for you too

--------------------
Debbie
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review