All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
It's been two months...
      #358957 - 05/30/10 02:11 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

Since I found this board and started eating following the EFI guidelines. Last night was the first night I "cheated" and boy did I pay for it!

We were out to dinner with some of my husband's co-workers and I (stupidly, I know) didn't want to make a fuss that there really wasn't much I could safely eat on the menu. So, I ordered what I would have ordered pre-EFI, a club sandwich (minus cheese and bacon) and it came with fries. When the food arrived the sandwich was dripping with butter. I should have known better, but I ate half the sandwich and a few fries. I felt fine during the dinner, but at midnight I woke up with the WORST stomach ache and had to make a couple of trips to the bathroom. So not worth it!! Next time I'll be more prepared and check the menu beforehand so I don't get stuck like I did last night.

The GOOD news in all of this, is that I am really confident now that this diet is working for me. The last 2 months have been much better for me (not 100%, but I know that I never will be) and last night was a real eye opener. Anyway, just wanted to share!

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: It's been two months... new
      #359128 - 06/08/10 06:42 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Belinda,

I had a similar experience years ago when I first started the EFI diet. I couldn't believe how a change in my diet effected my IBS D symptoms in a positive way so drastically. Stress is also a trigger for me but getting a handle on my diet makes dealing with the stress so much easier.

I am glad that you have found success following the EFI diet and that you are feeling better. Sometimes it takes cheating a little to make us realize that we don't want to live life feeling terrible just to be able to eat certain foods.

Most restuarants have menus on line now and it is very helpful to take your time at home and figure out what you can safely eat.

--------------------
Janey

#359137 - 06/08/10 03:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Isn't it cool when it is that definitive? It makes it totally obvious what foods are triggers. Congrats.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#359145 - 06/08/10 08:06 PM
Bel920

Thanks guys - I only wish I'd known all this years ago!

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

#359146 - 06/08/10 09:17 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

so was it the butter and fries? everything else would have been okay to eat on the sandwich right?

is juicing a bad idea for ibs? i am assuming so but just want to be sure that i couldn't add veggies and fruit that way...any idea?..thanks..

#359148 - 06/08/10 10:36 PM
healthyguy67

Reged: 06/08/10

Great to hear that you've been able to narrow down the cause of your IBS to diet...consider yourself lucky!

--------------------
bowel diet
irritable syndrome symptoms
colon cleanse
fecal incontinence
Parasite Cleanse

#359161 - 06/09/10 07:58 AM
Bel920

I'm pretty sure it was the butter and fries. I hadn't had fried ANYTHING in 2 months and no dairy either.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
something about it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review