All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Acupuncture
      #358750 - 05/19/10 05:16 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I just want to say that acupunture does amazing things for me. If you ever heard it doesn't work or its a waste of money and doesn't work for IBS they were wrong. If you find the right acupuncturist and they find the right treatment for you, it is so amazing. Helped me so so much yesterday I am still in shock by it. Not just with my stomach pain but I was so depressed and it completely took me out of my depression. If you can, give it a try! It will not cure but weekly treatments make a huge difference. I dont know why people have said that research says it does not help for IBS because I just read a whole lot of research that shows it does. JUst wanted to share somethign that actually has been working for me. Obvioulsly you still have to follow the diet, its not likeyou can eat whatever you want but its just still so great. It actually gives you the will to eat better anyway.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acupuncture new
      #358751 - 05/19/10 05:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I tried acupuncture twice times for extended periods of time. Once with my GP who is a trained acupuncturist and the other with a physician from China who trains medical students in acupuncture. It didn't help with my IBS symptoms but it felt good. A number of research studies which you may want to have a look at suggest acupuncture does not help with IBS symptoms but it may improve quality of life for some people. So if it makes you feel good even if it doesn't help much with IBS symptoms it might be worth the time and money.

References
Lembo, A. J. et al. A Treatment Trial of Acupuncture in IBS Patients . American Journal of Gastroenterology 104, 1489-1497 (2009)

Schneider, A., Streitberger, K. & Joos, S. Acupuncture treatment in gastrointestinal disease: A systematic review . World Journal of Gastroenterology 13, 3417-3424 (2007).

Alastair Forbes, et. al. Acupuncture for irritable bowel syndrome: A blinded placebo-controlled trial . World J Gastroenterol 2005 July 14;11(26):4040-4044

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358752 - 05/19/10 07:39 AM
Allisonmary

I wouldn't listen to those studies, it can def help with IBS symptoms. First of all they say the longer it took to get the disease, the longer you will have to get treated.IBS is something that is very complex and chronic. That first study only went for 3 weeks! Thats not nearly enough.
It helps me and I just hope it helps others.

#358754 - 05/19/10 07:42 AM
Syl

Both of my experiments with acupuncture ran over many months. I believe if you look at the reviews you will find that some of the studies that were reviewed ran for longer periods of time (e.g. 20 sessions). I hope it continues to work for you.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#358771 - 05/19/10 07:18 PM
Allisonmary

Your profile says youve had IBS for 40 yrs! That's a long time. It will most likely take longer. I haven't IBS all that long so I am happy to be treating it with acupuncture early. IN china, if you are sick like that, they go for the acupuncture right away as soon as possible and maybe even every day for something like IBS. Its only here in America that we let things get out of control. Maybe try it again?, at least you know it makes you feel good right.

#358831 - 05/21/10 04:16 AM
Allisonmary

I was looking at the other studies you gave me and they are completely useless if you ask me because it completely takes away what makes chinese medicine what it is by not individualizing the treatments. Ive been studying acupuncture and trust me, its a really bad study with a lot of problems. I can write them all out for you if you like. It almost makes me mad they would make such a ridiculous study like that!
"Therefore, individual treatment
according to 'patterns of disease´[13] could serve as a gold
standard'. However, this is often not practical due to
methodological reasons, e.g. an individualised acupuncture
could reduce the statistical comparability between groups
and could enhance placebo effects by amplifying patientdoctor
interactions."

#358832 - 05/21/10 06:02 AM
Syl

Just because you don't like a conclusion or observation does not make it wrong. The conclusions in these studies are drawn using well established and accepted statistical methods for medical research studies. The quote you stated makes perfect sense if you have training in these techniques. If you have a problem with the methods that leads you to think the conclusions are in error you might email the authors express your concerns.

--------------------

#358833 - 05/21/10 07:19 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

So glad that acupuncture worked for you. I am all for everyone sharing their personal experiences, and I think Chinese medicine has much to offer.

I don't follow research all that much, but follow personal experience. Thanks for sharing how acupuncture helped you! I haven't tried it yet, but it may be in my future. Hopefully, your post will encourage others to give it a try.

#358834 - 05/21/10 07:21 AM
Allisonmary

Its not the conclusion I don't like it is the methods. The author makes it clear as to the potential problems in the study but doesn't really make it clear that they basically took away everything that really matters in an acupuncture treatment for IBS. Everyones treatment is different and point combinations are very important which the study didn't show.

#358835 - 05/21/10 07:31 AM
Syl

The statement simply says that if a hodge podge of acupuncture approaches are used then reliable statistical analysis without due consideration given in the data analysis section are difficult to do when preforming a meta-analysis of many studies. It is simply a statement of fact. All good research articles should have statements about their limitations The authors of the individual studies are well trained acupuncturists and physicians quite familiar with individualized (TCM AC) and uniform approaches to acupuncture for IBS who have no doubt given consideration to their experimental designs.

Are you training to be an acupuncturist or are just generally learning about it in your naturopathy course?

--------------------

#359197 - 06/10/10 07:33 AM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

Ive been trying acupuncture now for over 2 months and I really like it and I noticed it relaxing me but I have not noticed much with my IBS symptoms. With that being said, everyone is different and it may work eventually but could take 3 or 4 months of treatment which I just cant afford anymore.

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

#366285 - 10/18/11 09:32 AM
kandrews

Reged: 10/17/11

Hello - I would love to hear more about your experience with acupuncture for IBS. Would I be able to email you some questions or set up a quick phone interview? I am trying to do some research about the current science. Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review