Reged: 05/11/10

Is the coffee causing problems?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: coffee new
      #358738 - 05/18/10 06:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IMO you have to wean yourself off of coffee and any caffeine (which is actually a drug) carefully and slowly. Either drink some coffee and some caffeinated tea or some half caff coffee to start with. Then switch to caffeinated tea like English breakfast (which is hard on the stomach like coffee but we are talking about weaning here). Then gradually switch the caff tea to rooibos tea which is caffeine free but energy-causing. Then gradually switch to all decaf drinks. Don't drink decaf coffee because it is hard on the stomach too. Once the caffeine addiction is gone make sure you are drinking a lot of herbal tea or water -being dehydrated can make you drowsy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#358744 - 05/18/10 08:05 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

You could look at the coffee drinking habits you have and try and break them. So if you always get a coffee on the way to work - try a different route to break the habit. Or if you have a coffe on your break go for a walk instead.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#358766 - 05/19/10 02:00 PM
LindaDB

Reged: 02/10/10
Loc: Maryland

HI,I've had IBS-D 9 months. I am also a coffee holic(big time)I have a sign next to my coffee pot that says " I haven't had my coffee yet,don't make me kill you " I'm only telling you what I did, I'm not saying you should do the same.When my IBS-D started. I got Heather's book and fiber.
I got herbal coffee( 3 different kinds,and tea)I missed my coffee,I tried to wean myself by slowly adding my coffee to the herbal.That was 6 months ago.I follow the IBS diet to the letter,as far as food goes and smoothies and Tummy fiber 3 times a day.I was so depressed because I just missed my coffee!!! Some things trigger some people and others not. I got some 1/2 decafe and made a pot of coffee,
using less coffee and more water.I found out it dosn't bother me. And I'm less stressed having my coffee.When I first get up I take my Tummy fiber and munch on dry cereal while my coffee is brewing.And stick to the IBS diet.I find I can have my 1/2 decafe in the morning and afternoon.Everyone of us is different in some ways.I can have a safe meal and have an attack,or a pot of coffee and be fine.( WHO KNOWS )I know my husband is happy I can drink coffee again I know how you feel and I wish you good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7979 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review