Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet questions
      #358594 - 05/13/10 09:53 AM
ibsKiller

Reged: 05/13/10

Hello

Please kindly answer these short questions somebody:

1.Heather has listed rice as a soluble fibre food. Does she mean we should eat white rice or brown rice? The former has 0.5 soluble fibre and 0 insoluble fibre whereas the latter has a much higher and equal amount of soluble and insoluble fiber. Is white or brown safest?

2.For people dealing with ibs-c, how do you remove constipated waste? Fruits used to work for me but they now worsen the problem.

Many thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet questions new
      #358610 - 05/13/10 07:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The fiber amounts on rice are kind of misleading. The SF in rice is "modified starch" or something like that. Syl would explain it better. It means that it isn't listed as fiber on labels but it acts like SF in the system. Brown rice is enough SF for many folks but should be taken carefully at first. I am ok with brown rice depending on the rest of the meal, but horrible with black rice! The SF in white rice is a very gentle buffer.

2. Do you take a SF supplement? That helps move the colon along. If you ever get D from time to time you cannot have anything old built up in the colon (take it from GI docs that do colonoscopies). Just don't use cleansers or laxatives.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#358638 - 05/14/10 04:02 PM
ibsKiller

Reged: 05/13/10

thanks minnie, apologise not exactky sure what you're saying. did you mean:

white rice is best. you can also take brown with caution.

didn't understand your answer to 2. i dont take sf supplements just starting out. did you say taking sf supplements might lead to diareha and that is better then taking cleansers/laxatives?

cheers

#358681 - 05/16/10 06:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes white rice is great. Don't try brown until you are stable.
No SFS do not give you D. But if you ever have D you don't have old matter in your colon. Taking a SFS is much better to moving the colon than any cleanses which can be dangerous.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4928 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1842

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review