All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is wrong with this meal?
      #358216 - 04/30/10 04:39 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

YEsterday I ate some mashed sweet potatoes (plain), plain rice sticks made from rice flour and water, and some extra lean ground turkey breast taco meat. Afterwards I also ate some freeze dried bananas (not that many- but more than i usually have). I drank water. I felt completely fine after eating this. The next morning I felt horrible and not to be gross (sorry) but I had pieces of the sweet potaotoe in my stool. COuld my meal of had too much insoluble? I thought sweet potatoes were all soluble, maybe I didnt cook them enough. (I did realize they were a more darker orange than the usual color) The sweet potatoes do this to me sometimes, other times they are great. I didnt have all that much either. What did I do wrong????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is wrong with this meal? new
      #358218 - 04/30/10 05:33 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I would be cautious of the freeze dried bananas. I looked for them at Trader Joes and they had a pretty high fat count. I would check yours out. The rest of the meal looks very safe to me.I don't see that you had any insoluble fiber at all.

hey cyndy new
      #358223 - 04/30/10 05:40 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

No they actually have 0grams fat, thats why I said make sure to get the freeze dried bananas and not the banana chips which are high in fat and def no good cuase i tried those once. You should try them.

Re: hey cyndy new
      #358225 - 04/30/10 05:45 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I can't find the freeze dried bananas. I can only find the banana chips. They are by the nuts and trail mixes and other dried fruit?

I don't see anything unsafe about your diet last night at all then! Sorry. Maybe it was just unpredictable IBS and you could eat the same dinner again and be just fine? I find this happens often.

#358227 - 04/30/10 06:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

No veggie or fruit is all soluble fiber. Every fruit and veggie contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. The insoluble fiber give the cells in fruit and veggies their structural integrity. The only time you find pure soluble fiber is in soluble fiber supplement when the soluble fiber has been separated from the insoluble fiber. However, some foods contain more or equal amounts of soluble fiber compared to insoluble fiber.

A peeled sweet potatoes has about 2.5 grams insoluble fiber, 0.5 grams soluble fiber and 1.3 grams resistant starch per 100 grams. Since resistant starch acts like soluble fiber generally speaking and depending on the variety sweet potatoes have nearly equal amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber. This reference has good table giving the amount of soluble & insoluble fiber in a variety of foods but it does not give the amount of functional fiber (eg. resistant starch).

I find I have to be very careful with sweet potatoes. I find I have remove a considerable amount of the flesh below the skin to make sure all of the insoluble fiber from the skin is removed. They have to been cooked very well - until really soft. Even then I can only eat small portions at a time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#358243 - 04/30/10 03:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Nothing is wrong with that meal. Maybe it is your cycle or something like that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review