All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Job Offer - Travel Involved
      #357830 - 04/16/10 12:29 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I may be offered a job that includes travel (including occasional international travel), but I have limited my plane trips to one short trip in the past 4 years because traveling seems to exasperate my IBS. I don't eat in restaurants because I've just found it easier and safer not to. The job would be a promotion. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Are you IBS-C, D, or A? -nt- new
      #357831 - 04/16/10 12:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Mostly D, but sometimes C -nt- new
      #357833 - 04/16/10 02:31 PM
DianeM

Re: Job Offer - Travel Involved new
      #357838 - 04/16/10 07:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you were just D, I'd suggest you talk to your GI doctor about Lotronex. If you're sure you're sometimes C - and not just empty after an episode of diarrhea - then Lotronex is probably a bad idea.

If you're doing well with Heather's approach and are using a SFS, the only other thing I can suggest is anti-anxiety meds to take while you're actually traveling. You'd have to see if they help your tummy while not making you too out of it to function. Beyond that, there is Imodium for symptomatic relief of your D symptoms.

It seems like a shame for you to turn down a promotion because of your IBS. Do you have a good GI doctor you can talk to about this?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#357839 - 04/16/10 08:11 PM
DianeM

Thanks Sand. I'm doing pretty well, although I've had the same 20-item diet for the past couple of years. Gets kind of boring. I have a huge issue with stress and anxiety, but I am taking a very low dosage of an anti-anxiety med. Every time I try to increase it, it affects my symptoms in a not-so-great way. Yes, you're right - I should talk to my doctor. It took a while, but I found a pretty good one.

A difficult choice but can you new
      #357842 - 04/16/10 09:50 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

.. think of ways to work around the issues. I find I feel less anxious about stressful situations if I can think of a way to resolve the problems before they happen.

To start with could you arrange with your employer that you are put up in hotels/hostels/apartments with cooking facilities.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#357995 - 04/23/10 08:46 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i wouldn't be able to do it...urgency issues would be my problem..no matter what i eat i never know when the urgency will kick in..shame...i barely can make it to the bathroom from my desk at times...meds don't help with urgency.,..

#358004 - 04/24/10 10:09 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am in the same boat as you. I don't eat in restaurants, but sometimes I have to travel for my job.

En route, I bring packed sandwiches in a lunch cooler packed with frozen peas (because ice packs aren't allowed on flights).

I bring my own food to the hotels where I stay ... canned tuna, canned salmon, Kettle's baked salted potatoe chips, some IBS-safe veggies etc. I arrange for a fridge and microwave in my hotel room and I pack a small Corningware dish, knife, fork, can opener, a little dish soap and a cloth so I can cook a little in my room.

I either bring IBS-safe bread with me from home and/or Yehuda matzoh (as a substitute for crackers, but made from just white flour and water so very IBS-safe). For jam, I use Beech Nut babyfood apple sauce, apple/blueberry sauce, etc., which contains no additives.

The microwave can be used to make an IBS-safe egg sandwich. What you need is a plate with a cover and some organic eggs (purchase at a local store). Separate the egg whites and pour them onto the plate. (If you have some oil, you can grease the plate beforehand.) I use three egg whites. Cover the plate with the lid and microwave high for about 1 minute, 40 seconds. You will have a perfect omelete!

If I can't arrange for a microwave in the room, I ask the hotel kitchen to microwave my food for me.

It's definitely challenging for me to travel, but I haven't got sick yet ... as long as I stick to the routine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Belinda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3579 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3013

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review