All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: what to replace fruit with? new
      #357710 - 04/12/10 07:42 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I didn't think "dried fruit" was that safe for us, even over fresh fruit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#357711 - 04/12/10 07:44 AM
Cyndy

Thank you Gerikat. I know you are right, but it's hard to erase things I have read and listen to my own body.

Re: With regards to the gluten tests.... new
      #357712 - 04/12/10 07:46 AM
Cyndy

Yes, I have been eating gluten free for about three years. I don't know if it has helped or hurt. I still have pain and cramps and bloating. The only thing it changed was it turned my D into C. But I'm scared to go back on gluten

#357716 - 04/12/10 08:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cyndy were the blood tests and the biopsy done by the same clinic?

Here is a brief write-up from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center that you may find interesting. Basically it says "A positive antibody test indicates only that a person needs a biopsy; it is not a diagnosis in and of itself." And "Biopsy of the small intestine is the only way to diagnose celiac disease."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357719 - 04/12/10 09:05 AM
Cyndy

Yes, they were done at the same hospial. One time at one hospital, another time at a different hospital.

Do the antibodies mean I have an intolerance to gluten, and therefore eat gluten free even though I don't have celiac? Thank you so much Syl. I know you are very intelligent and hopefully you can help me come to some conclusions on what to do or not do.

#357723 - 04/12/10 09:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If the blood test and biopsy were done at the same hospital and the blood test was positive and the biopsy was negative then it suggests you don't have celiac disease. The biopsy is the gold standard test for celiac disease.

The blood test could be positive for a variety of reason. As I recall there is a reasonably high occurrence of false positive blood test results sometimes caused by other disorders. So a positive blood test does not necessarily mean you have to avoid gluten and unfortunately there is no way to tell except by experimenting.

Something you might try doing is introduce a small amount of gluten containing food once each day for a few days and see how it goes. You might do this at the same meal each time so you can keep track of your progress. This might be the only way you can figure it out. If you decide to give it a try please tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357725 - 04/12/10 10:09 AM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

As I understand it (since I just went through all this testing myself), testing negative for Celiac does not necessarily rule out being gluten sensitive. Celiac, in essence, is the damage that occurs from a gluten intolerance. Some people have shown to be intolerant of gluten (i.e., are symptomatic when they consume gluten), but do not sustain the damage that is Celiac disease.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#357729 - 04/12/10 10:44 AM
Cyndy

so, you are giving the opposite advice of Syl? I'm so very confused. Do you eat gluten?

#357731 - 04/12/10 10:51 AM
Cyndy

thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate your input. I guess it's time to introduce a little gluten? When I went gluten free and was tested, they came back alright. So, it probably isn't do to any other disorder. I don't know syl. I feel so confused! But you are saying if it were you would eat gluten? Can I do a whole diet of gluten....give up the GF cereal, bread, and everything?

#357732 - 04/12/10 11:00 AM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

I think the best thing you can do is ask your doctor for clarification on your test results. If your blood work showed some degree of sensitivity, then I think it's safe to assume that you won't feel as well if you eat gluten than if you don't. Because you had a negative biopsy, though, you do not have Celiac disease - this means that whatever degree of intolerance to gluten you have has not damaged your system. It may just be that you feel sick on gluten, not that it's actually harming your insides.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review