All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Re: Me too Dragonfly!!-nt
      #357336 - 04/04/10 11:14 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

thank you helped lots
am still bad today but never mind hay i have started to take them syl do you think i should give doves farm corn flakes and rice milk ago cos i feel the rice creal no good for me

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Syl, about acidophilis..
      #357339 - 04/04/10 12:06 PM

Unregistered

syl is digestive enzymes good idea with ibs?

aperson i think they do help
      #357346 - 04/04/10 12:30 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

the guy in health store said they did when i bought my probiotics

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Re: aperson i think they do help
      #357355 - 04/04/10 02:02 PM

Unregistered

Guess I will have to find out..I need someone to recommend gentle or most safe digestive enzymes..

Re: aperson i think they do help
      #357356 - 04/04/10 02:14 PM

Unregistered

SYL is this goodhttp://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML/plantadophilus.html
?

http://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML/digestzyme.html

Re: Syl, about acidophilis..
      #357382 - 04/05/10 07:39 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Ok thanks Syl, I read the study, its interesting.
I just find it hard to trust studies like that when IBS is such a broad term and so complicated and the causes and symptoms are so different in so many people. I would think anything that helps bowel and colon health would be good for IBS though, especially since IBS involves the whole body not just one specific part. Its like a headache kind of. HOw can you take a bunch of people with headaches and label them as having the same thing when headaches can be caused by so many different things; hormones, lack of sleep, dehydration, overwork, light sensitivities..on and on. Of course, these people would have to be treated differently to help with their headaches and I think doing research to find out what helps would become a little messy don't ya think? I think before they do studies like that they should break them in to groups based on probable causes and symptoms. But thats way complicated Im sure. Thanks for the article tho I enjoyed reading it:)

To Allisonmary
      #357391 - 04/05/10 11:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Allisonmary

You said "I would think anything that helps bowel and colon health would be good for IBS though, especially since IBS involves the whole body not just one specific part."

Actually IBS involves a specific part of the body - the bowel - that is why it is called Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Its cause is believed to reside in the miscommunication between the brain in your head the brain in you gut - sometimes called a brain-gut dysfunction that may have a variety of origins. IBS may have secondary symptoms that effect other parts of the body or they may overlap with other disorders such as fibromyalgia but it definitely originates in the bowel. You might want to review the information on IBS on the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders website.

There is some evidence to suggest that not all probiotics good for IBS and some might in fact exacerbate GI disorders. They use to think the colon contained 500 different types of bacteria, however, gene analysis has shown it contains more than 1500 different bacteria. Which of these 1500 bacteria is involved in IBS is difficult to say at the moment. To say anything that helps with colon health will help IBS is a problematic and a bit of naive assumption. It will take a considerable amount of research to determine which of this vast number of different bacteria play a role in IBS. It is difficult if not impossible to make generalizations of that kind without good evidence. There is good research evidence suggesting that acidophilus is not one of bacteria that plays a significant role in managing IBS. However, it could be that when it is combined with other probiotics like it is in VSL#3 that collectively it may have synergistic action with the other bacteria in the mixture but this hypothesis is unproven.

You say "I think doing research to find out what helps would become a little messy don't ya think?" Actually I think that the research protocols for IBS research have been pretty well established over the past few decades especially since the Rome criteria for diagnosis have been established.

You said "I think before they do studies like that they should break them in to groups based on probable causes and symptoms." Oh they do - what I directed you to was a meta-analysis of dozens of individual probiotic clinical trials for IBS. If you looked at the details of the individual studies you would find they are broken down by symptoms and a variety of other factors. Unfortunately, since no one knows the cause of IBS it is impossible to say what it is. In fact, part of the reason for doing IBS research is to identify causes and develop better management and diagnostic methods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

SYL products
      #357394 - 04/05/10 12:53 PM

Unregistered

If I post links to some products would u give me your opinion if they are worth trying plz?

Re: To Allisonmary
      #357403 - 04/05/10 05:32 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

What I meant when I said that anything good for bowel health would be beneficial for IBS, I didn't mean those things that IBS people are sensitive to, I just meant things like acidophilis. I guess if acidophilis makes IBS worse for someone thats not a good thing, but I always hear such great things about it being good for digestion and if it doesnt hurt to take then it can only help IBS really in the long run by keeping the bowels healthier. Thats what I meant. I know that high fiber for ex may be good for bowel health but not good for IBS.
Also, when I said that IBS affects the whole body, I really believe that it affects more than the colon. May be the technical term IBS is just seen as a colon problem, but I dont think so. What about the stomach and pancreas, you don't think they can possibly play a role in some cases of ibs? I know it ultimately affects the intestines, but I know for me, alot of my IBS symtptoms involve my stomach. I assumed it was like this for everyone, no?

Re: To Allisonmary
      #357409 - 04/05/10 07:00 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I have no stomach symptoms with my IBS.

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1693 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67545

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review