All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Re: vitamin with probiotics does it look safe new
      #357276 - 04/03/10 10:22 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

i have wasted my money then syl do you think really look at them all for ages the guy in store said they would
i just mad sure they were free from all stuff omg i can do nil right are they going to make me worse

am bad to day i never took no laxatives last night at all i want of them i want be normal i cant even but right vitamins

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: vitamin with probiotics does it look safe
      #357277 - 04/03/10 10:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They likely won't make things worse but they likely won't help much with IBS. I have never meet anyone in a health food store that knew much about IBS. They are probably not the right people to ask for advice about IBS.

It is unlikely than many of us with IBS will ever be normal again. The best we can do at the moment is learn to manage the symptoms using diet, exercise and other things like hypno. So don't feel alone. There are millions of IBSers in the world with the same problem Some day medicine might have better solutions for us.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357280 - 04/03/10 10:49 AM
julieb123

shall i give them ago maybe am just not meant to get well i waited a year to get hypno and now am getting worse i hate feeling bloated i have gained weight too day i felt so bad i bought bran flakes to hurt my self i haven't eat them spear of the moment

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Re: vitamin with probiotics does it look safe SYL
      #357281 - 04/03/10 11:01 AM

Unregistered

y do u want to hurt yourself with bran? syl do u think the probiotic julie chose is a good one,julie who about philip's colon health,would u try that?

#357282 - 04/03/10 11:02 AM
Syl

Talk of hurting yourself is serious stuff. Do you have a psychiatrist, social worker or psychologist you can contact?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#357283 - 04/03/10 11:13 AM
julieb123

i wont hurt my self syl i have done in the past i wont no more i ment i would eat bran to hurt my self make tummy worse
i feel al i do it all at stuff to help my tummy i have bought them now i guess i have to give it ago

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Syl, about acidophilis..
      #357307 - 04/04/10 04:19 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hi Syl, Now that I am pretty much stable and it is easier to see what helps and hurts my IBS, I have found acidophilis to help me. In school also, they always recommend to try acidophilis to anyone with any sort of digestive problem. I know you always said that there was no research about it but I looked it up and it does say it helps with digestion.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus Why do you say it does not help with IBS, just wondering where you heard? It is good to get the intestinal bacteria back to normal isn't it. Maybe it doesn't have a direct effect on IBS but I think most of us have IBS for different reasons don't you think. MAybe sometimes its not due to the lack of bacteria but sometimes it is. Especially if you had an eating disorder, wouldn't it be good to try to get the bacteria back in to balance?

I too found help with acidophilous.nt
      #357308 - 04/04/10 05:33 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Syl, about acidophilis..
      #357312 - 04/04/10 06:18 AM
Syl

Oh - Lactobacillus acidophilis is an excellent probiotic for generally bowel health. And it along with some other probiotics have some efficacy treating and preventing things like traveler's D.

However, if you check the American Gastroenterology's An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome they say "In single organism studies, lactobacilli do not appear effective for patients with IBS; bifidobacteria and certain combinations of probiotics demonstrate some efficacy".

If you want to read a good review of the probiotic research and IBS have a look at Meta-analysis of probiotics for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome or the World Gastroenterology Organisation Practice Guideline: Probiotics and Prebiotics . You might also checkout the video A Role for Probiotics in Treating IBS?. While L. acidophilis has been included in some multi-probiotic products such as VSL#3 by itself it has not yet been shown to be an effective tool for managing IBS symptoms.

It definitely cannot hurt to take acidophilis and it might help with general colon health. However, the clinical evidence to date suggests it is not a particularly effective probiotic like Align and some others for managing IBS symptoms.

I hope that helps.

--------------------

Me too Dragonfly!!-nt
      #357314 - 04/04/10 06:49 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67865

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review