All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need Some Advice
      #356837 - 03/19/10 12:52 PM
vjcblueyes

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

I know that many people who have IBS also have high cholesterol, but I have 6 months to get mine down before I am placed on medication which I certainly do NOT want to do.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can accomplish this goal?

I did see a prebiotic supplement called Prebiotin Heart Health...anyone know about this supplement?

Thank you all for being there.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Some Advice new
      #356838 - 03/19/10 01:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check out this article on Cholesterol Control without Drugs and Dr. Weil web site Controlling High Cholesterol.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

SYL preserves new
      #356839 - 03/19/10 01:32 PM

Unregistered

so blueberry and rasberry preserves I bought have no dietary fiber it says I put a large amount of each on a bagel is this a problem?

Re: SYL preserves new
      #356840 - 03/19/10 01:56 PM
Syl

It it contains the seeds it could be a problem. Seed are IF. If it is a jelly with the seeds removed it should be fine.

Remember it contains pectin which is a functional fiber that acts like a soluble fiber so that is a good thing. However, it also contains a lot of sugar

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#356852 - 03/20/10 08:34 AM

Unregistered

don't say seedless but I thought with the large bagel and pectin it would be ok..

#356854 - 03/20/10 09:06 AM
Syl

I believe most preserves are not seedless. Many IBS-D suffers cannot tolerate the seeds in preserves or jams even with the SF from a bagel or the pectin in the preserve. It would definitely send my colon in to spasms.

I would be really interested to know how much your IBS symptoms decreased if you significantly reduced the amount of IF you are eating. Why not remove as much IF from your diet as possible for a week or two and see what happens? Those with IBS-D seem to be much more sensitive to IF in their diets than those with IBS-C.

--------------------

#356856 - 03/20/10 09:54 AM

Unregistered

it just sounds like an unhealthy diet to hardly get an IF foods,feel like I hardly get any fruits and vegtables...

#356857 - 03/20/10 10:08 AM
Syl

There are plenty of fruits and vegetables that you can eat that are low in IF and high in SF. For example, peeled potatoes, carrots, zucchini, squash, kiwi, banana, beets, parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes and the list goes on Once you are stable with these then you can slowly start increasing the amount of IF until you have problems and then back off the amount of IF until the symptoms subside. One of best ways to start increasing IF would be not to peel the carrots, zucchini, etc. The skin has loads of IF. Cream corn, celery and the likes are definitely foods you should treat with caution if not avoiding completely if you want to see good improvement.

Perhaps you should re-read Heather's information again. She recommends eating as much IF as possible but not so much that it cause IBS problems.

--------------------

Re: Need Some Advice new
      #356859 - 03/20/10 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you have high bad cholesterol or total cholesterol? The EFI diet is naturally almost cholesterol free. When I have been tested before my total was borderline high, but when they did a true test it turned out my good cholesterol was off the charts high and the bad was low. Being we eat no dairy, red meat and only lean protein and fish it makes for a great diet. Plus SF lowers cholesterol. So you shouldn't have to alter the diet at all.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3855 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4377

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review