All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
staying regular when traveling
      #356630 - 03/12/10 01:22 PM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

When I have attacks, I am normally IBS-D. My girlfriend lives 4 hours away and I must drive to get there. Even though I'm normally IBS-D, I usually get constipated after I travel (pellets) but I feel anxious, 'cause it seems like a "D" episode is waiting behind that "C" and don't know when it may come. And sometimes the "D" does come after like 24-48 hrs. So I "hesitate" in doing things and when I wake in the morning, I try to "gauge" how my stomach is doing for like 2-4 hours before wanting to go out.

Normally, I eat only a little (Cheerios in the morning and/or some oatmeal the night before) before I travel or I don't eat at all before or while I travel that distance.

I think I "hate" driving and tense up, so that may be exacerbating the situation.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stay regular when traveling?

The worst thing about IBS is the "not knowing" or the sudden urgency. It makes me feel like I live life from the sidelines sometimes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: staying regular when traveling new
      #356636 - 03/12/10 02:27 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Traveling is definitely a challenge for us. I am also IBS D and find that if I make sure I eat very safe a few days before I am going on a trip it helps both mentally and physically. I also like to map out where the bathrooms are along the way. This makes me feel in control of the situation. Somehow knowing where the bathrooms are help me to relax. I bring safe snacks in the car, usually pretzels, water, room temp peppermint tea, and bananas and I also make sure I have immodium with me. I usually listen to an audio book which is easy to get invovled in and helps take my mind off of traveling, bathrooms, etc.

--------------------
Janey

Re: staying regular when traveling new
      #356686 - 03/13/10 03:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is so hard to drink enough on certain trips. And when I am camping I don't want to pee all night so it is easy to be dehydrated. I find drinking hot tea on a trip helps rather than too much water. The water may taste different than what you are used to and tea masks it.
Eating really safe snacks all the time is great. And don't skip any SFS doses.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review