All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stress Diarrhea????
      #356150 - 02/25/10 07:36 PM
frodobaggins

Reged: 02/03/08

I unfortunately have a new topic to bring to the board. Has anyone ever experienced diarrhea from major stress? At my workplace, we got a new president and he has fired four supervisors and is closely evaluating everyone. Ever since my direct supervisor was fired over a week ago, I've had diarrhea issues and my skin has broke out horribly. I am so stressed out by other people at work and then the concern for my own position... And when things get better at work, I seem to get better, but when things get bad again, well, you know! What can I do to help myself?! Any stress relief ideas? On top of that, my husband has been on a high security job and has to go back next week!!! I have never been this "poopy". No other issues, just upset belly. Can anyone relate? Anyone have advice? And now I'm stressed from being stressed!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stress Diarrhea???? new
      #356152 - 02/25/10 08:01 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Yes, I can most DEFINITELY relate to this.

What a psychotherapist would most likely tell you is that you cannot control these external things, but you CAN control how you react to them emotionally. Rather than focus on what is wrong or what MIGHT happen, focus on the things in your life that are rewarding and working for you in other ways in the present. Take one day at a time and deal with whatever comes before you when it appears, and don't waste any time stressing about what MIGHT happen that most often never does. Find something to look forward to and enjoy each and every day in some way.

Many of us IBSers tend to internalize stress, and thus we get hit in the 'gut'... ... simply because we are not aware that we are 'stuffing' all of this internally.

Exercise is good to relieve stress, such as taking a walk after dinner. A warm bath can be very relaxing as is some soft instrumental music that you enjoy listing to.

Take care of yourself and eat well according to the IBS diet. There is really nothing you can do about external pressures, though there are ways that you can de-stress yourself rather than internalize.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Stress Diarrhea???? new
      #356206 - 02/27/10 07:07 PM
frodobaggins

Reged: 02/03/08

Thank you, Windchimes. I was doing really well a few days ago, and since my husband announced today that his trip for his security job is extended, I've had diarrhea twice. It's not the super watery stuff, but I've just about had it. Do you think I should talk to a psychologist? Honestly, it has to be stress because like I mentioned, this all started happening two weeks ago during the "firing squad" times at work. I haven't lost any weight, no blood, no vomiting, no severe pain. My stomach feels "nervous" all the time...like I used to feel before I went out on stage to do plays in college. Do you suggest anything else? Are there any good stress-busting/diarrhea exercises? It's so embarrassing, but I'm simply HARASSED by upset stomach!!!!
Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review