All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Shawneric,SYL MY VIDEO
      #355825 - 02/15/10 11:40 AM

Unregistered

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr245/mnice_21/?action=view&current=MOV06102.flv

was wondering if anyone relates to that severity and loudness? I have it all the time

just want some pice of mind that is so uncomfortable and loud,it grosses out my mom and my boyfriend,perhaps u can tell me what part of the body it is coming from? seems to be my left and I try to show where.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shawneric,SYL MY VIDEO new
      #355826 - 02/15/10 12:05 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Your talking about the stomach noises?

Its called borborygmi.

FYI

Mayo Clinic

Stomach noise: What makes my stomach growl?

Answer
Stomach noise — such as rumbling, gurgling and growling — typically is due to normal digestion. Stomach growling can occur when you're hungry. But it can also occur after eating or between meals when food is passing through your intestines.

Hunger and appetite are controlled by a complex system of hormone-like substances primarily made by your digestive system. When you haven't eaten for a while, these substances are released and cause a part of your brain called the hypothalamus to "switch on" your desire to eat. A message is then sent to your stomach and intestines. This triggers muscle contractions and the release of acids and other digestive fluids — which causes the rumbling, grumbling sounds you hear — as your body prepares for you to eat. The thought, sight or smell of food also can trigger this response from your intestines.

Sometimes excessive stomach noise can be a symptom of an underlying gastrointestinal disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome. But in such cases, stomach noise usually is accompanied by other signs and symptoms such as bloating, cramping, diarrhea or excess gas.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stomach-noise/NU00189

"The growls, technically called borborygmi (pronounced BOR-boh-RIG-mee), are caused primarily by contractions of the muscles of the stomach and small intestine and, to a lesser extent, by contractions of the muscles of the large intestine (colon)."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=77935

"Case Study
Sarah, a 21 year old student, who was diagnosed with IBS, tell the story of her struggle with the condition.

The wrong lesson I taught myself in the lecture room

It was almost 11 o'clock on a Monday morning of March 1994. I was on my way to a Research Methods lecture, totally unaware that my first encounter with IBS lay shortly ahead.

Probably the only clue was this odd feeling in my stomach; it was this hollow kind of nausea & a really strange, uncomfortable sensation that I had never experienced before. It made me feel uneasy. Thinking that it would pass, I decided that I would go ahead and sit through the lecture. But within a few minutes, I was left wishing I had never entered the room.

Shortly after the lecture began, my stomach started making strange, loud noises. Wind was pioneering up and down my stomach like a rollercoaster, but far more critically for me, people could actually hear it doing so. "

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/advice/living-with/living-with-irritable-bowel-syndrome/case-study/?locale=en

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355827 - 02/15/10 12:12 PM

Unregistered

so its something that won't go away? it is quite uncomfortable not only loud.

#355831 - 02/15/10 12:26 PM
shawneric

Even normal people get this and even more so perhaps in IBS. Sometimes though its part of not eating enough and stress. The nerves in the bowel in IBS are not functioning right which is why the reason for the uncomfortable feeling.

Also in IBS and stool in the colon, the gut contracts abnormally and softer material may pass by harder material and makes noises.

Its also important you get checked because this can also be a symptoms of a bowel obstrution sometimes. These are a few reasons that it is critical to work with a doctor.

--------------------

#355833 - 02/15/10 12:29 PM

Unregistered

ty,i've had this for years,can it still be an obstruction? how does it get checked out,an x ray? can ibs be some of the cause if it was an obstruction? if I get better with diet and feel alot better then it was just the ibs?

#355835 - 02/15/10 12:37 PM
shawneric

The fact you have had it so long without any other issues is probably IBS and is pretty coomon in IBS, but also normal even for normal people.

another part of IBS is that some people generally listen to all the noises and are almost hyperaware of their bodies, noises and reactions.

You still want to get checked out once in a while for things.

--------------------

#355842 - 02/15/10 01:07 PM

Unregistered

do you think with getting stable or getting alot better the really loud noises and uncomfortable feeling can be greatly reduced? it really uncomfortable and feel it affects incomplete evacuation or feeling like I need to go and can't

well all this ibs makes me tird by 3 and 4pm I feel I am a zombie or robot just going through my day waiting for bedtime uhh wish I wasn't so tired.

Edited by aperson (02/15/10 01:48 PM)

#355847 - 02/15/10 02:58 PM
shawneric

" nutrient deficiencies can be the cause of most GI problems"

probably, but again everyone's digestive system makes noises.

It might be your not eating enough, it might be under stressors or both even.

However in IBS the system is not working right and causing you these symptoms.

Just thinking constantly about IBS can make your tired on top of the symptoms.

Being tired increases the symptoms, its a physical and mental stressor.

--------------------

#355866 - 02/15/10 09:49 PM

Unregistered

I know I'm eating enough,has to be stress and the fact that I keep falling off the diet so bad,plus not getting enough sleep.

#355867 - 02/16/10 04:12 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hey, I get the same thing and I hate it. It was happening like basically every day and was extremely annoying when I went running. It has gotten better lately becuase I think I figured out what was causing it for me. IT would happen if I ate too much acidic foods, even high carbohydrate which turns into acid. Also, if I was not drinking enough water. Even though it seems like there is too much liquid, I found that drinking water actually helps.I actually think some herbal teas make this worse (Im not sure but I think fennel tea and the peppermint caps were making it worse) You may want to look up a list of acid/alkaline foods and make sure you are not eating too much acidic food. Also if your diet is too high in carbs and sugar that could be the cause too. I have received acupunture in the past for this because I get it done for free at my school and that has been the absolute best thing to help with this. They would do moxa on my stomach to warm it and it completely takes away that annoying sound. Basically the chinese would say that it is a combination of damp in the stomach, which can be caused by too many sugary foods, or just an overall weakness in digestion and the failure of the body to transform and transport the fluids and nutrients.

#355868 - 02/16/10 08:17 AM

Unregistered

omg thank you for your reply. Yes I take pepermint capsules as directed,but I seem to burp them up and it makes me almost puke sometimes. Shawneric,SYL,how can fennel make this worse as allisonmary says? Do you think all natural blueberry and Peach tea would make it worse? What all natural caffeine free (not decaf) tea from celestial seasonings should I buy t hen? I need alot of SF so I really don't know how to cut back on the carbs. I drink 12 cups of fennel tea a day,plus some rice or soy milk and water at work.. have you tried a ny supplements like caltrate in the puple and white bottle? Did you have alot of trouble with incomplete evacuation? I do...I don't have any money for acupuncture.

#355890 - 02/16/10 07:47 PM
Allisonmary

Hey, ur welcome..yea I get incomplete evacuation also, from your posts it seems we have similar issues.
Take a look at this, it helps explain some things based on an eastern perspective. I know some of the things sound like another language so let me know if you have any questions.
http://beyondwellbeing.com/ibs/damp.shtml
Do you add anything to your teas? You drink alot of fennel tea! I think that may be too much. You may feel better if you drink plain water instead. Herbs have certain properties and generally fennel is a "hot" herb and too much of it can't be doing you much good. Peppermint on the other hand is a "cool" herb and maybe the combo is causing a reaction in your stomach. I was drinking alot of tea with all differnt herbs thinking it would help, but it was just making it worse. Now I stick to teas with one herb. Blueberry and peach are ok but maybe try only having 2 cups of tea a day and the rest water. Also with the soluble fiber and carbs, I think the trick is to not necessarily cut back on the amount of carbs but the percentage of carbs you are eating in a day. Like make sure you are eating enough protein and insolubles to balance it.
Also, take a look at acidic versus alkaline foods because I am finding that to be really important also.
I would get the noises with too much acidic foods and drinks. Rice milk tends to incresae the noises for whatever reason (maybe because it turns acidic in the body) so now I just use almond drink.
I think maybe you are doing what I did.. I tried so many diffeent things that were supposed to help and they just all interacted and made a big mess. I dont do any supplements anymore. I gave up on all that stuff and now I'm just trying to eat healthy. So far I feel way better. Also, I hope no one gets mad at me but decreasing the high fructose foods has helped me so much. Do you eat applesauce? That was another thing that really made my stomach sloshy. I didn't know it until I stopped eating it.
Does your stomach make those sounds on its own, or do you consciously do it?

#355892 - 02/16/10 08:00 PM

Unregistered

you know whats funny I read that article years aso..I just found almond milk in this town,it is the un refrigerated kind u open then have to regrigerate once opened. I started eating cream of rice,do u like that? I don't know how helpful plain water is,the water here tastes like chlorine. how about 6 cups of tea a day and the rest of liquids from smothies or when I have smothies or eat recipes,and a bottle of water at work? I'm thinking of trying marshmellow root and making tea,and slippery elm. I bought philips colon health today. I get alot of bad burps hard to describe the taste and sometimes food comes up a little I get a burning sensation in places..sometimes before a bm.

i will have more questions later,im so busy tonight

Edited by aperson (02/16/10 08:13 PM)

#355893 - 02/17/10 04:11 AM
Allisonmary

Yea Ive posted that website before, it explains the basics, but you could alwasy google it and find some more info on it. Its the same stuff we talk about just a different way of saying it really. I do like cream of rice alot, i really like cream of farina with almond milk. You may not find that by you I dont know, I have trouble finding it here, only at certain stop and shops. I love tea also and I was probably having like 5 or 6 cups a day and it was like almost addicting or something. Maybe have just the blueberry and peach though and stop the fennel? See if it aggravating the noises. I like to have organic cocoa powder instead of tea now with some almond milk. I took a class about herbs and I dont think its that good for you to be having so many herbs at once, even if its just in teas. Could you maybe stop the herbal teas completely for a couple of days and see how you feel? What else do you like to eat?
have a good day!:)

#355894 - 02/17/10 04:22 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I actually went for treatments here a few years ago.

The proprietor's name is Al Stone. He is a graduate of The Emperor's College - A school of Chinese medicine right across from Al's place of business. I live about 10 miles from there. I saw him for about 6 months bi-weekly.

He is very knowledgeable about Chinese medicine and specializes in treating IBS.

His web site has expanded dramatically over the years and there is quite a lot of material which attempts to allow you to diagnose what type of IBS you have (according to Chinese medicine). It is well worth reading.

On the other hand, I was not helped by either the accupuncture or the herbs. Of course we are all different and so it still may help others.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355898 - 02/17/10 07:41 AM

Unregistered

I use blue diamond almond milk,it was in the health food isle and wasn't the refrigerated kind,or is all blue diamond like that? well its a small container u open then must refrigerate after opening,is that just fine? I will google farina,don't know what that is. I really don't think I can give up herbal tea and live off water the water here tastes gross on its own and I end up drinking plain water at work..I will cut way down on the fennel. I must admit I have been having trouble sticking to the diet and ate alot of bad things this week at mcdonalds,where I work. I thought it was perfectly fine to have lots of herbal tea a day,as long as u aren't making it super strong,like I do the fennel and if u don't drink a ton. Well I cook alot of recipes,I make strawberry bread "adapted" that I found off this site,made heather's best baked potato soup last night. I made rasberry bread last week. I always make a main dish and some dessert,like strawberry bread or sometimes brownies or heather's old fashioned pie,can't remember everything I make right now,lol but will try later. Actually would you like to look at my myspace,I have an album of things I've cooked,not everything though. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=662404 that is me. I do have pics of heather's clam chowder,I have made it twice and something in it just REALLY upsets me,the only thing it could be would be clams and clam juice. I'm not allergice just food intolerance. Don't eat peaches,apricots because they make me not feel good and I have thrown up soon after eating them,other times just did ok or felt uneasy,really think its the sorbitol as I bought imitation crab meat and ate it and feel uneasy,and a little sick and saw there was sorbitol in it.

Edited by aperson (02/17/10 07:43 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10147

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review