All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight
      #355679 - 02/12/10 01:00 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I have been sick and have put off going to the doctor cause I didn't want to be put on antibiotics but I just wasn't getting any better so I went today. Now I have to start antibiotics tonight. She gave me Z-PAK( I have the generic form)I take 2 today and one every day for the next 5 days. She knows I have ibs-d and my pharmacist said to try to take it after I ate. I was just wondering if anyone has taken this brand of antibiotics and if it bothered your ibs-d at all. Should I start taking some type of probiotics while on the antibiotics? When I had my hysterectomy I had 2 rounds of antibiotics while in the hospital and it didn't effect my ibs at all so I am hoping this won't either. I also take lomotil so maybe that will keep it me from noticing any bad side effects with the big D. Any comments or suggestions?????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please responed asap....I have to start them tonight new
      #355683 - 02/12/10 01:13 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

why do they have you on them?

You don't want to take probiotics with them, because it will just kill the bacteria anyway. You might want to take them after your done with the treatment.

For me personally sometimes certain ones mess me up while other don't, but this is kindof an individual thing.

Some are easier on the gut then others, I think and am not positive that that one is easier on the gut.

Its one of those take them and see what happens kind of thing.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355691 - 02/12/10 02:37 PM
mrae

I am on them because I have a bad chest cold and fluid behind the ears and they don't want it turning into bronchitis which is going around right now. I am hoping i can tolerate them. I will start some probiotics as soon as I get done with the treatment.

#355693 - 02/12/10 02:48 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

mrae, I am very seldom am on antibiotics but when forced to take them, I take a probiotic right along with the antibiotic. As a matter of fact, through the whole course of antibiotic treatment and afterwards. I space the probiotic a few hours apart from when I take the antibiotic.

Not only does this help the gut, but it totally eliminates yeast infections for the ladies out there. This works wonders for me. Get well soon!

HTH

#355701 - 02/12/10 05:01 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yes, you can take the probiotics 2 hours after your last antibiotic dose of the day. I would not wait until the antibiotics are finished.

#355714 - 02/12/10 09:18 PM
mrae

Thankyou for your replies

#355732 - 02/13/10 10:34 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The antibiotics should be fine for your D. When your course is over, start on probiotics again in good doses.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355735 - 02/13/10 11:55 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I agree Kim. Take the probiotics right along with the antibiotics, but space them apart. Don't wait until you are finished with the course of antibiotics. By then you will most likely have yeast or D or both. I take acidophilus, and it helps tremendously.

#355737 - 02/13/10 12:58 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Best thing to do is ask your doctor.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355760 - 02/13/10 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree with Shawneric that as soon as the next antibiotic dose roles around it will kill any probiotic you took 12 hours before. It would be like putting on lotion and then washing your hands with a harsh soap and putting on more lotion then more stripping with the soap. Until you stop the stripping, either soap or antibiotics, the other product is just a waste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review