All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Case Example - Feedback?
      #355596 - 02/11/10 03:00 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

So today I had an unusual lunch. I went to a local Chipotle, which if you have one if your area focuses on local, naturally raised and grown, organic if possible, hormone free ect healthy mexican style food.

I got a chicken burrito with flour tortilla, chicken adobo (4oz) white rice (3oz), black beans but 1/2 the amount as they normally put (2 oz), and some mild tomato salsa (3.5oz, really mild). No cheese or sour cream.

So right off the bat no obvious triggers. There may have been a bit more fat than I would have liked but really not too bad. Total about 690 calories, 5.5 grams saturated fat.

So about 15 min after eating, aside from an initial over-full feeling that gradually faded, from a digestive system perspective there have been no problems. What has happened however is for like the past hour my face has been very warm, primarily my forehead and nose, but also to a lesser degree my cheeks and neck. There is no redness, swelling, sweating, or anything like that, just warmth.

I'm very puzzled. Anyone have an idea what's going on and if this is related to IBS in any way? I have had similar levels of fat and calories before, though in different form, without this happening.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Case Example - Feedback? new
      #355601 - 02/11/10 05:21 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Digestion uses a lot of blood, maybe after you ate the blood returned to you upper body and face?

However, part of the body that regulates tempertures and skin Skin Conductance is the HPA axis and it can be effected by digestion.

another possiblity is a slight reaction to tomatoes. I get that sometimes as well and no a few others who do as well. My uncle sweets when he eats them and he doesn't have IBS. Its not a full blown allergic reaction or anything like that, just a mild reaction. So it could have been a spice or a normal body reaction, but I couldn't personally say anything for sure.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#355607 - 02/11/10 07:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Being it was mild, I would wonder if their adobo had msg and you are allergic to it. Just an idea. Although they use better raised meat it doesn't mean they don't have msg in adobo.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355870 - 02/16/10 09:22 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Thanks Shawn and Minnie. Interesting. I don't know about the MSG but I do know many people have weird effects from it. As for the tomatos, I don't eat enough of them to know for sure. Perhaps I should experiement and see what happens.

The real issue is that it doesn't really seem at all to be related to IBS and yet I never had anything like this happen until I began having IBS symptoms. IBS is bad enough and if I just get malady after malady things are going to go downhill pretty darn fast.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1441

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review