All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Helped me when i was not able to cook for myself... new
      #355223 - 02/04/10 08:02 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

We need the insoluable fibers as well, and Heather clearly states this in her books as well as the information posted at this site. It's more a matter of balancing both the soluable and the insoluable when we consume food.

I personally never experienced a problem with the barley juice powder when mixed with rice milk and some Acacia.

As we all have learned here, everyone is different. I was simply sharing something that helped me feel better during a time of transition when I was not able to cook much of anything.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Align new
      #355224 - 02/04/10 08:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you search the board you will find a number of postings on Align. Clinical trials have shown Align to be beneficial for some. Some people on the board have had good success while others have not noticed a difference. You may have to give it a try for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: For Syl new
      #355225 - 02/04/10 08:07 AM
Syl

To set your signature select "My Home" near the top of this page and then under "Main Configuration" select Edit for "Personal information, email, password, etc.". The 5th box on the page has place for you to enter you signature information.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: For Syl new
      #355226 - 02/04/10 08:32 AM
Windchimes

Thanks Syl, this wasn't all that difficult once I took my computer anti-virus / anti-spyware program off of parental controls and into Administrator mode.

--------------------

#355227 - 02/04/10 08:39 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Yes, you are right we need both types of fiber but we need to be very careful with insoluble fiber and keep it down to small amounts. You are also right that each one of us is different and can tolerate more or less of the IF.

The point here is that if you suggest a high IF product such as barley grass powder, you should accompany it with the caveats you are suggesting now. Otherwise newbies (or others) might use the product and not be aware of the need to be careful.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355228 - 02/04/10 09:00 AM
Windchimes

Little Minnie is one of the Moderators of this board. She frequently responds to posts. This what her bio says:

"IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!"

--------------------

#355229 - 02/04/10 09:14 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Exactly:

"Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution"

You did not advise caution in your post just like Little Minnie does.

I think we have been over this point enough times and I am sure you understand it. I will not participate in this thread any longer.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355231 - 02/04/10 10:01 AM
Syl

Heather states it best "You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem."

For some of us as much as safely possible means almost none. The only insoluble fiber many of us can handle is the amount in small portion of peeled and softly boiled veggies.

--------------------

#355234 - 02/04/10 10:18 AM
Windchimes

We are all very different, aren't we? It seems a matter of personal trial and error and reading all we can again and again from Heather's books and her recommendations on this site. I love looking at the Recipe Board, collecting and trying out new recipes. I've learned what I can and cannot eat as well as how to balance out a meal with SF and IF. Perhaps I am one of the luckier ones here as to a broader diet than some.

--------------------

#355236 - 02/04/10 10:40 AM
Windchimes

I am not an expert nor a Moderator of these boards. I assume that Moderators will add recommendations to posts. I only know what my own body can tolerate and I'm willing to share that. I welcome questions as to how I use whatever, etc. Most of us on these boards already know the basics of balance from Heather's books and reading her threads about clinical studies around IBS. It seems we all need to do our own homework for the best personal outcome overall.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review