All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Mediterranean cuisine
      #354229 - 01/08/10 07:30 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

We are having dinner out at a new Mediterranean restaurant tonight...I have no clue what to order and what would be safe...any suggestions?

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mediterranean cuisine new
      #354230 - 01/08/10 08:16 AM

Unregistered

well you could just have some water or tea? just say you don't feel good.

#354231 - 01/08/10 08:19 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Here is a link to an article from YourTotalHealth:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/can-mediterranean-diet-make-you-happy.html?nlcid=hr'01-08-2010'

Order something from the menu that you know you can safely, such as a white fish. Then go from there. There is nothing wrong with asking your server what all is in a certain dish or how the food is prepared. If he/she doesn't know the answer, the server will find out from the chef.

There is nothing wrong with asking for your fish to be steamed or cooked in a pan with only a little oil spray, or that your veggies be steamed. You can also ask that any sauces or dressings be brought to you on the side. You will not be the first person to have asked for accommodation around your personal dietary needs. Any good restaurant will gladly accommodate you.

Mediterranean cuisine is absolutely delicious!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#354233 - 01/08/10 08:34 AM
jhuggs

Honey! I'm going here to eat!!!! No water or tea only for me!!

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#354242 - 01/08/10 10:03 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I love it, Windchimes, and think it is a very healthy way to eat. I even enjoy the occasional glass of wine. If I could choose any way to eat, Mediterranean would be it.

#354246 - 01/08/10 10:26 AM
Windchimes

Well, Gerikat...

I find Mediterranian one of my favorites, and I also very much enjoy REAL Mexican food... not the US versions like Taco Bell offers!

I happen to have close friends that are from southern Mexico and they do NOT eat all of that greasy fried stuff cooked with lard. I'm also very fortunate to have a local 'Mom & Pop' restaurant in the nearest town that is a reasonably priced Mexican restaurant that cooks 'old style'. They are happy to accommodate me any time with baked chips as opposed to fried chips, and no lard in my food. They will also serve me black beans with no lard or pinto beans with no lard, plain beans on the side. The meats are slow cooked and shredded, and the fat is all skimmed off and removed before it is put on the grill quicky for browning and heating (no oil nor lard). It's great! They KNOW what I like and what I can eat, and I've been eat there for more than 4 years. They give me a warm flour or white corn tortilla to go with my meal.

Thanks for posting!

--------------------

#354247 - 01/08/10 10:32 AM
Windchimes

You go EAT and ENJOY! Review your personal safe foods list, and I doubt you will have any problem with Mediterranian foods. It's the sauces that sometimes can offend an IBS gut, however if you take some IS before you leave for dinner, and eat the white crusty bread they serve, you probably will have little or no serious problem.

Sometimes a few 'toots' here and there are worth the pleasure of eating with friends and/or family while enjoying the food too!

--------------------

#354268 - 01/08/10 12:46 PM
jhuggs

LOL! I hope I don't have any "toots" as this is my first date w/this guy!!!! HA!! We even get to sit on pillows here! I'm so excited!

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#354276 - 01/08/10 01:50 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

JHuggs, OMG, then most definitely don't "toot". Unless of course, it's silent. tee hee hee Enjoy yourself and that delish food!

#354279 - 01/08/10 01:59 PM

Unregistered

guess I was thinking of when my boyfriend went to pizza hut and I just sat there. He wasn't being rude or mean on his way out of town before he dropped me off he wanted pizza. I'm not going to stop him.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8913

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review