All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight loss for IBS sufferers
      #354148 - 01/07/10 04:47 AM
longtail

Reged: 06/23/06

Hi everyone. I have a challenging question. I'm a 42 year old female with chronic IBS (now in the IBS-D phase). Over the past 6 months, I've put on 30 pounds and am looking for a good weight loss program. In the past, I've always done the Suzanne Somers diet - basically a modified South Beach diet. The diet works by combining carbs and veggies or proteins and veggies, but you cannot mix your proteins and carbs. The problem is this diet is problematic for those with IBS. You're eating more high fats and insoluble fiber foods together without the soluble fiber and it has caused a lot of gas, bloating and diarrhea. Does anyone have suggestions for a good diet to lose weight. Does eating too much soluble fiber in your diet make weight loss more difficult? Any suggestions appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight loss for IBS sufferers new
      #354149 - 01/07/10 05:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check Heather's newsletter article IBS, Weight Loss, and Fitness and check out the FAQ Won't eating all these high carb soluble fiber foods make me fat?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354155 - 01/07/10 07:36 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I can say eating the ibs way that Heathers has on here, I have actually lost weight. I was one of those people who use to watch my carbs and now that is mainly what I eat everyday for the last year and I am lighter than I have been in a long time. I might eat carbs alot but I don't eat alot at once and they are not the surgary carbs.

#354198 - 01/07/10 11:44 AM
longtail

Reged: 06/23/06

Thank you both for the advice. I checked out the article and it's a great reference. Glad to know there is hope.

#354211 - 01/07/10 12:59 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I'm male so it might be a hormonal thing but when I first got IBS, simply not eating virtually at all for a month due to fear and lack of information, and then following Heather's guidelines after that, along with sleeping more and incorporating more exercise (hardly high activity though, more like moderate) and I dropped 50lbs in 6 months. I went from 5'11" 195lbs to 142lbs. I have pretty much stayed between 140 and 145 in the 4 months since then.
I actually think I'm a bit too thin (as does everyone in the world who knows me, especially my mom ::sigh::) but my Dr. doesn't think it's an absorbtion problem, rather it's what expected when you increase activity level and drop most of the foods you really enjoy eating. I would wager 80% of my calorie consumption pre-ibs was from trigger foods (dairy and red meat mostly, but I certainly didn't shy away from fatty foods), and I didn't get that much fiber, which is supposed to inhibit calorie absorbtion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless women have some sort of genetic difference re: weight gain/loss than men, and of course taking the idea that some people just tend to be heavier/lighter no matter what they do (family genetics), it would seem to me that if you follow Heather's diet religiously, you should have no trouble losing weight if you combine it with a truly bare-bones exercise regimen (I walk about two miles, granted it's steep uphill 1/2 way and fast, three to four times a week).

I could be wrong on the science here, but I honestly believe that eating lots of soluble fiber impedes calorie absorbtion, so it should make weight loss easier, not more difficult.

#354214 - 01/07/10 04:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I lost 12-15 lbs when I first started the diet. Since then my weight has creeped up a good five pounds per year. It is due to my job being different now and eating more.
I am presently really trying to lose weight. I don't even want to leave the house since I am chubby and bloated! What is helping for me is to drink my acacia in water through the day. This makes sure I drink enough and actually takes the hunger edge off. Plus being I am putting SF in all the time I can eat the lower calorie IF foods or something like an egg white omelet without toast. If I could completely cut sugar out I think I would lose some weight and that is my goal.
Part of the eating too much problem is needing to eat so often and thus getting too many cals. The SFS in water throughout the day helps this and snacks can be much smaller- like a piece of fruit or a soy cheese stick.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review