All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Why are we saying these foods are safe for IBS??
      #354050 - 01/05/10 07:23 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I was just wondering why no one really mentions the whole excess fructose issue when talkign about IBS. I know its a separate thing, but alot of people with IBS seem to have some sensitivity to the excess fructose. I just realized it now. For years, I was eating foods like applesauce and squash and had not a clue why I felt sick. I was starting to give up on this diet thing thinking it had nothing to do with my stomach pain. I now realize that diet has a whole lot to do with it. I dont know why we list those foods as being safe. We should warn people that they may be sensitive to the fructose, dont ya think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why are we saying these foods are safe for IBS?? new
      #354087 - 01/06/10 09:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have asked myself the same question for since I have been on this board for a few years. Foods with excess fructose are easy to eliminate from EFI diet for a couple of weeks and then some of the foods can be re-introduced to see what effects they have. However, until recently, there were few studies on the role of fructose in IBS. However, over the past few years there has been considerable research on both the physiology and dietary management of fructose malabsorption in individuals with and without IBS. In fact, some recent findings suggest that up to 50% of IBSers have problems with fructose.

In fairness Heather has been addressing the issue of fructose in an informative manner. For example in one of here she says "Fructose and sorbitol are both very likely triggers for IBS symptoms, especially diarrhea, gas, bloating, and cramps". Unfortunately, this notion has not been fully integrated into the EFI diet.

It is up to people like us and others on the board that have experience with fructose malabsorption and IBS to explain the benefits of reducing or eliminating excess fructose foods from the EFI diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354088 - 01/06/10 09:37 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

i never to with out syl i would have never new and am really trying hard to follow it

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#354142 - 01/06/10 07:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I was just wondering why no one really mentions the whole excess fructose issue when talkign about IBS. I know its a separate thing, but alot of people with IBS seem to have some sensitivity to the excess fructose. I just realized it now. For years, I was eating foods like applesauce and squash and had not a clue why I felt sick. I was starting to give up on this diet thing thinking it had nothing to do with my stomach pain. I now realize that diet has a whole lot to do with it. I dont know why we list those foods as being safe. We should warn people that they may be sensitive to the fructose, dont ya think?

If you had been on the forum a couple years ago you wouldn't be asking that question. We had much discussion on FI believe me!
IBSers can suffer from FI, but FI is not synonimous with IBS. Everyone has a different tolerance for fructose. Heather does mention excessive fructose as being a thing to watch for but FI is in addition to IBS. Syl has kept up the issue and definitely makes everyone aware of fructose being a trigger and the need to do tests for it. I am not fructose or lactose intolerant but choose to avoid all dairy and really watch fructose as an addition to foods and drinks. I don't have a problem with fruits and veggies.

BTW a test for fructose problems is to drink a couple large glasses of tomato or apple juice on an empty stomach. You are right; everyone should be aware of fructose as a potential problem maker.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354147 - 01/07/10 04:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

An 100 grams of tomato juice contains about 0.2 grams of excess fructose while the same amount of apple juice contains 4.0 grams. Apple juice has 2.7 times more fructose than glucose tomato juice only has 1.1 times as much. Use the tomato juice as a chaser. It has so little excess fructose I could probably drink it Pear juice might be better because it contains 4.0-7.0 grams of excess fructose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354154 - 01/07/10 07:29 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I learned this the hard way. I made something with applesauce and withing 30minutes or so it was going right through me. I also could never drink apple juice or anything of that sort. I try to stay away from things like that. I just figured it was just something that had to do with my ibs.

#354215 - 01/07/10 04:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Interesting. At ibsgroup they recommended the tomato juice test. I adapted it to include apple juice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354216 - 01/07/10 05:23 PM
Zoanne

Reged: 01/02/10

Sorry, I just got approved for this message board, and I need help. I have severe abdominal pain. trying to work, keep family together. Have cat-scan tomorrow. Diagnosed with chrones. What do I eat-what do I stay away from? I just want normal life back. Any suggestions any help

#354219 - 01/07/10 07:44 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Well Little Minnie, guess I am just stupid then. I have been reading this boards for years on and off, only recently with Syl's posts have I heard all that much about fructose. Im sure it was mentioned before, I dont read all the posts. All I know, is I look up foods that are listed as safe, and so many foods I thought were safe are actually not becuase of the excess fructose. I just wish I figured it out sooner. For someone who still is trying to figure out the whole diet thing, it is not very clear. That's all i was saying.

#354220 - 01/07/10 07:57 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i agree...the efi diet doesn't really make it very clear..if it were not for syl i would have never put it together either...i have not been tested but i can see just by the links syl provided that i have trouble with excess fructose...i don't even wanna drink the apple juice!! thanks but no thanks... i guess i'm stupid too..

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review