All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: Candida new
      #354044 - 01/05/10 05:30 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

A low carb/no sugar diet is not Heather's IBS diet..or am I wrong?

The antifungal diet I went on allowed me choices of meat/fish/poultry/eggs, most veggies (no corn,mushrooms, potatoes), berries, green apples, organic plain yogurt and Stevia sweetener. More foods were introduced after 2 weeks, for me. It is not a life sentence of eating. It is a period of time to get rid of the toxins/fungus in your body. As Carolyn indicated, often a good telltale sign is if you have a die-off reaction within days of beginning- a Herxheimer response, where you will feel worse before feeling better- flu-like symptoms, aches, pains. fatigue, D, etc. Everyone is different. I also took natural antifungals because diet is often not enough. I took caprylic acid and rotated that with olive leaf extract. Probiotics are also HIGHLY recommended, whether you have gut issues, or not. I feel they are also key to my getting better.

For me, I got well again within 2 weeks. That was the only change I made to my life, so for me it was cause/effect. It was hard at the beginning, but I started feeling so much better, I got a high from keeping on the diet. I now can tolerate foods that would have killed me before, like lettuce, onions, tomatoes. I still monitor what goes into my mouth. I can't tolerate forms of yeast (tummy rumblings, gas and bloating soon follows), which is in a lot of processed foods these days, and too much white processed/cane sugar, and HFCS products don't sit well with me. I eat bread, but non-wheat and yeast-free, which is really not that bad. Again, everyone is different.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#354045 - 01/05/10 05:35 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Shawn, I know your passion for helping those with IBS and your caring, concern, and knowledge shows in your posts. I know hurting someone is not your intentions.

However, sometimes people need to find their own way. People may read your posts and take what they will and leave the rest. It is a personal decision. Whether the diet works or not is not the point, but allowing each individual the right to choose.

#354046 - 01/05/10 05:43 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

people don't need to be given false information on IBS.

Its nothing to do with finding their own way, its about an accurate diagnoses to begin with for them to find their way.

Ten years I have been studying IBS in depth with the help of the IFFGD and the UNC, UCLA and researchers all over the world. Everyone would disagree with candida being the cause of anyones IBS.

The diangoses of IBS is made when NO organic disease is present to begin with, that they don't know about candida is false, as they have already ruled it completely out.

If you read why you'll no why, which is why I posted all the information from EXPERTS, not people, who don't know or do research.

This hurts IBS awreness and the condition itself and hence people. While some get better, a lot don't and lose a lot of money and time, that could be directed at IBS management.

There is so much here that is not understood as to why I am posting all the information on it.

People don't even realize how its diagnosed to begin with and why candida can't physically cause the symptoms of IBS.

So I can start calling every gi symptom IBS? Celiac is IBS? IBD conditions are IBS?

NO they are not IBS, its a complex distint entity.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354047 - 01/05/10 06:43 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

A thought just came to me...if they still do not know what causes IBS, why do you/we keep calling them "experts"?

#354049 - 01/05/10 06:58 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Oh Shawn. I am at a loss for words. Because someone chooses a different path, different diet, different treatment, does not mean it is "misinformation". Carolyn and Kim had success with their approach, whatever you want to call it, and they came here to share and maybe help others. It is up to the individual, to ponder that information or disregard it. Take what you will and leave the rest.

I see you are yelling in spots. No need... we will have to agree to disagree. Conversaton over, let this thread die, now good night.

#354051 - 01/05/10 07:30 PM
shawneric

I have said what I have to say as well. Again I have no stake in this other then information.

Yes it is misinformation to call IBS candida overgrowth syndrome no matter what and has nothing to do with Carolyn and Kim at all. They can choose whatever path they would like too. Its not about them at all. I am happy they feel better.

I think people should know that the condition doesn't even exist and is NOT IBS. But the misinformed promote it as IBS.

Hence why it was a dignoses of exlcusion first, no organic condition could be found, but not anymore. Then you might think doctors don't know about it, but they do know about it very well. Candida is highly researched and by the way serotonin kills it.

Real candida is systemic and an infection and life threatening and IBS is not an infection heance the misinformation and no one dies from IBS itself. IBS does not progress, should not wake you at night and a list of other issues, no one seems to be mentioning.

Very Specific symptoms are required for an IBS diagnoses to begin with absent an organic condition.

IF Expert fungus doctors, expert immunology doctors, allergy experts have never found it in twenty years after looking hard for it, and its already been ruled out in IBS people need to know that as well.

This also takes the focus off of real IBS research and findings, people need to know as well.

Nor are the majority of any effective treatments for IBS helpful because of candida overgrowth syndrome, other then the diet that works for IBS for other reasons.

Sorry you feel the way you do on this, but you have never researched it in depth like I have and the real researcher have, or that others make a ton of money off it. Which if you read what I posted you might realize.

A problem here is the basic IBS education to begin with on IBS.

There choosing their own paths is fine. Other with IBS have choosen that path and been hurt by it and lost money and time and suffered.

--------------------

#354052 - 01/05/10 07:39 PM
shawneric

KIM

what is serotonin? What role does it play in the gi tract and in IBS?

first you don't understand how the condition is diagnosed.

There are experts in gastroenterology, neurogastroenterology, immunology, neuroimmunology and every filed studying IBS. It is super complex, which is why then don't know the EXACT cause yet, but have made a ton of progress.

Video Corner: Causes and TreatmentsA functional GI disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) has very specific symptoms. Over the past 5–10 years we've developed an understanding that many different components contribute to these symptoms. Brain-gut interactions, changes in serotonin signaling, motility, inflammation, gut sensitivity, genetic predispositions, and bacterial flora all can contribute to varying degrees in an individual having this condition. Not only will this help with developing more effective treatments, but better understanding of the factors that underlie symptoms in each individual will enable more reliable treatments that will work earlier on rather than trying hit or miss one after another.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/causes

Video Corner: Gut Flora, Probiotics and Antibiotics
Bacteria are germs that are normally in the gut. They are often referred to as the gut flora. Most bacteria are in the large intestine (colon). Some bacteria can cause infection; these are called pathogens. Other bacteria can be helpful. These helpful (or "good") bacteria are called probiotics. Medicines that destroy bacteria are called antibiotics.

During IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to interview a leading researcher, Eamonn Quigley, MD, on the topics of probiotics and antibiotics. Dr. Quigley is Professor of Medicine and Human Physiology at University College, Cork (National University of Ireland). Brooks Cash, MD adds comments about issues of safety and effectiveness of antibiotics.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

Video Corner: Inflammation

In some people with IBS a subtle inflammation persists for some time after recovery from an initial infection and obvious inflammation. This can cause increased sensation in the intestines and changes in gut motility consistent with symptoms of IBS.

Inflammation
Does inflammation have a role in generating IBS symptoms? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/inflammation

Video Corner: Research Advances
From mechanisms at the gut level and the micro flora to the spinal cord and brain our understanding to the functional disorders has grown tremendously over the past 5 years. In these videos Emeran Mayer, MD and Lin Chang, MD, both from UCLA, and Brooks Cash, MD from Bethesda, Maryland explain some of these advances.

On one end new techniques allow us to probe the living human brain to understand its structure, activity, and receptor systems. On the other end we are just beginning to view the universe of our gut micro flora and the cross-talk taking place between it and the brain. Growing understanding of the ways in which many systems within the body interact has implications for various disorders such as pain, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis, gastroparesis, and others. Like a jigsaw puzzle, many pieces are beginning to emerge.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/research

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

Video Corner: Overcoming Challenges There is growing recognition of the seriousness and the complexity of the functional GI disorders. Yet individuals affected by these disorders still face challenges in finding adequate care. Many physicians remain unprepared to diagnose and treat patients with functional GI disorders. Moreover, the burden of illness resulting from chronic pain or discomfort and other symptoms associated with functional GI disorders remains underappreciated by everyone it seems – except those who experience it, or those who are truly dedicated to finding solutions.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/challenges

Video Corner: Kids and Teens

Many of the digestive disorders seen in adults begin in kids and teens. Providing better treatments early in life would not only help help children and their families, but would also help avoid much pain, suffering and expense later on in life. While we have seen many advances in understanding functional GI and motility disorders in kids and teens, much more remains to be done. Development of improved treatments in pediatrics is a particular challenge.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/kids-and-teens

The Experts Speak
About IFFGD
Learn about IFFGD on video Go »
At IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to talk to some of the international experts in functional GI disorders. Our discussions covered some of the most recent developments in this field.

Click the topic titles below to go to the video interviews!

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/

You might want to pay close attension to

Diagnostic advances: Symptoms and the roles of biological markers in IBS

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/causes

--------------------

#354057 - 01/05/10 07:57 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

very interesting...thank-you.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Candida vs. IBS new
      #354058 - 01/05/10 08:39 PM
PMartin

I had the same reaction and question myself. Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding the IBS diet but while there are some similarities, sugars and carbs seem to be the biggest difference. Heather's EFI diet promotes and encourages (or states that they are safe) bread and sugar while the Candida diet calls for elimination.

And I want to throw in that this seems to have turned into a debate over what should be classified as or constitutes an IBS diagnoses. We all know that (some? most?) doctors use its ambiguity to their advantage and simply use it to diagnose anyone with any GI issue. Most of us go straight to work looking for answers and our research leads us to the million and one possible causes for our symptoms. Personally, if I could find a way to resolve my issues, that's all I would care about and not what it's called.

--------------------

for Gerikat new
      #354059 - 01/05/10 08:53 PM
PMartin

here are some that I looked at...

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/candidadiet.htm
http://www.pureliquidgold.com/candida-diet.htm
http://www.candidasymptoms.net/
http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/candida-test.html

I don't know what to think as there are some major differences between what causes and how to treat Candida vs. IBS.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 82520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review