All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: Carolyn new
      #353997 - 01/05/10 11:32 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I was not trying to start a big debate. I was only trying to help and to share what I have learned.

I look forward to hearing form you

Carolyn

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candida new
      #353999 - 01/05/10 11:38 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

They are working very hard on it all. IBS is an extremly complex condition. There are some 28 functional bowel disorders as well. IBS is the most studied of these disorders.

IBS however, IS NOT an infectious disease. It can be caused by an enteric infection, hence post infectious IBS, but after the infection goes away, there are cellualr changes in the gut of mast cells and ec cells which are very important to digestion, and pain from the gut to the brain signiling and the symptoms.

The Colon is hypersensitve to all stimlous and why foods, hormones and stress and anxiety can set if off.

A lot of work is being done and has been done in regards to bacteria itself and IBS.

Bacteria are germs that are normally in the gut. They are often referred to as the gut flora. Most bacteria are in the large intestine (colon). Some bacteria can cause infection; these are called pathogens. Other bacteria can be helpful. These helpful (or "good") bacteria are called probiotics. Medicines that destroy bacteria are called antibiotics.

During IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to interview a leading researcher, Eamonn Quigley, MD, on the topics of probiotics and antibiotics. Dr. Quigley is Professor of Medicine and Human Physiology at University College, Cork (National University of Ireland). Brooks Cash, MD adds comments about issues of safety and effectiveness of antibiotics.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

Video Corner: Inflammation

In some people with IBS a subtle inflammation persists for some time after recovery from an initial infection and obvious inflammation. This can cause increased sensation in the intestines and changes in gut motility consistent with symptoms of IBS.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/inflammation

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354002 - 01/05/10 11:44 AM
shawneric

Who diagnosed you with candida?

What tests were preformed?

Its well known that the diet supposedly used for candida, help IBS for other reasons, not because the person has candida. But because they feel better on a diet, confuses people into thinking it was candida and not reducing sugars and carbs help IBS because of bacteria themselves causing gas and gas pressure on an alredy sensitive colon, which functions abnormally to begin with.

Candida also can't cause some of the symptoms of IBS, its not physically possible.

Candida is a yeast also an not a bacteria to begin with and is also in the gut in the first place to help fight pathogens.

To promote or say IBS has anything to do with candida AN INFECTION, hurts all IBSers.

Understanding why the diet itself might help IBS helps IBSers when they don't really have candida to begin with.

--------------------

#354004 - 01/05/10 11:46 AM
shawneric

This has nothing to do with you personally and please don't take it that way and its important to have the debate and for people to learn and understand some aspects of IBS.

Is also important people don't self diagnose themselves, which is the leading cause of misdiagnoses.

--------------------

#354014 - 01/05/10 12:33 PM
CarolynC

I was finally diagnosed at a clinic in Maine called Women to Women. They did a stool test and blood tests. The stool tests determined I had more than the normal number of yeast in my stool. The blood tests revealed I had a very low vitamin D level. My immune system was not working well at all. I had allergy testing done in Connecticut who concluded that I had no allergies (even though my body was acting like I did) and that I had a unusually low number in one of the immune tests.

While I agree there is no definitive test for candidiasis, all of my results were put together and the conclusion was a "no brainer" that I have too much yeast.(fungus)
My body was very unbalanced and needed help in regaining health.

When I first started with coconut oil therapy I got a very hefty herxheimer reaction, which to me, was the last key to diagnose my illness. People with normal amounts of yeast in their system do not have any herx reaction.

I believe excess toxins (such as antibiotics) are the root cause of this. And I also believe with all of my heart that unhealthy foods and processed foods are making things worse for us. Our bodies simply cannot detoxify as much as we give it every day.
The candida over-growth is produced by the body itself, in an attempt to "clean it up". But it can only do so much without help. There is much, much, much more, but that is the nut shell.

Candidiasis is a real illness and many, many reputable scientists, doctors, studies, authors would agree. I really do not want to argue or debate this further.

My personal prayer is that someone who needs to see my post will do so and benefit from it.

Just like I did from someone else who posted here about a year and a half ago. mentioning her candida treatment. She was helped...and now I am too.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Edited by CarolynC (01/05/10 01:56 PM)

Thank you Carolyn new
      #354018 - 01/05/10 01:02 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Never fear, the people who need to see your posts, will. Thanks so much for responding to me so quickly via email with a wealth of information. I can't wait until you can send me the yoga postures. I appreciate all the links and info and will be in touch on how and what I intend to try. I hope others will email you and at least listen to what you have to offer.

No need to argue of debate. The people that need it will find it, and the others can let it be. It is really very simple.

I have read much from functional medicine docs, that follow the same train of thought. I feel it is the new medicine, along with other alternative care. Thanks again!

#354019 - 01/05/10 01:08 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I know you weren't Carolyn. You were just offering up info people may take or leave...sharing your experience.

DanaDivine re: Candida new
      #354020 - 01/05/10 01:16 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I'm not sure why PM's are disabled but please feel free to email me as I would like to here about what you're doing for Candida...
holdenandpatman@yahoo.ca

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#354022 - 01/05/10 01:29 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I'm always happy for someone to hear that they've made progress if not completely resolved their IBS (or whatever IBS like problem they were suffering from).

If you prefer, I will e-mail you but I'm particularly interested and curious when you say...

...plus ways of helping my body to detoxify itself and getting my immune system back to par

...what are these ways?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#354024 - 01/05/10 01:49 PM
CarolynC

Ahhh, helping your body detoxify itself is one of the best things you can do.
The things I find to be most helpful are: Dry skin brushing, epsom salt baths, nasal deep breathing.
light exercise (like yoga or walking).

It also helps to get rid of extra toxins in your home: such as skin care,shampoo etc..., deodorant, household cleaners, bleach,toothpaste (flouride).....
make sure you check the ingresdients for safety.

And also your diet and supplements can help you detoxify.
here is a really good article:
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/detox.php

Hope this helps.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 973 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 82502

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review