All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
L-Glutamine - SYL - have u heard of this supplement helping ibs?
      #353885 - 01/03/10 08:06 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: L-Glutamine - SYL - have u heard of this supplement helping ibs? new
      #353889 - 01/03/10 09:32 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I hope you won't mind my input here despite the fact that I'm not Syl but years ago when I included protein in my diet as part of my exercise regimine, there was an almost overnight constipating effect. I had no idea why and was not as diligent as I am now with researching things so didn't find out for years why. I know now that L-Glutamine (which is an Amino Acid in the protein I take) directly nourishes and heals the mucosal lining of the intestine and causes the bowel to reabsorb the water in your stool, thus reducing the number and frequency of bowel movements.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#353891 - 01/03/10 10:37 PM
skh

what protein do u take? so it seems that the glutamine would be a good thing for ibs-d people right? i was ibs-d and started on acacia fiber and librax and now seem to be more ibs-c most of the time...urgency without the D...

#353894 - 01/04/10 04:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is a link to a post I made some time ago. In summary "There is no consensus view that supports the routine clinical use of glutamine supplements in any specific situation".

A recent search of the last 50 years of IBS research revealed one comment about glutamine that stated "Although there are no studies (to our knowledge) to support the use of L-glutamine for IBS, its mechanism of action warrants research as a potential therapeutic agent." There is no evidence that l-glutamine is useful for IBS.

Reference
Wald, A., & Rakel, D. (2008). Behavioral and Complementary Approaches for the Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Nutrition in Clinical Practice, 23(3), 284-292

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353897 - 01/04/10 07:20 AM
PMartin

I use Diesel Whey Protein Isolate. Like I said, I noticed a constipating effect but it has not been the solution to my IBS-D. Like you, I still have urgency issues. I use the protein because I exercise/work-out, not for my IBS.

--------------------

#353901 - 01/04/10 10:36 AM

Unregistered

isn't whey dairy? protein,like meat and such is that hard on ibs?

#353928 - 01/04/10 02:40 PM
skh

thanks for the responses syl and pmartin...i like "aperson" thought whey was something to stay away from...i'm curious how do u handle ur urgency issues? and do u drink the whey like a smoothie? i'm trying to gain weight...i have lost 13 lbs in the last two months trying to stay away from all bad foods...i tried just a plain banana/strawberry/ice smoothie and it went right thru me with cramping..i'm to the point that i'm afraid of food and i can't gain weight...gi dr told me to drink ensure but it gave me D...i have lost all confidence in the dr. do u take any medicine for your ibs?

#353930 - 01/04/10 03:23 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I tried not having to take meds but ended up needing to anyway. I have extreme urgency issues and I have been taking lomotil for the last six months. It has worked wonders for me and letting me be able to leave the house all day if needed.

Re: L-Glutamine -MRAE - have u heard of this supplement helping ibs? new
      #353932 - 01/04/10 04:57 PM
skh

i don't take lomotil but the dr suggested i take an immodium with each meal..i don't do it though b/c i feel ibs-c now that i am on the librax...i thought librax was supposed to help with the urgency..i hate to get to where i can't even have a bm so i try not to take immodium unless i am going out to dinner or something...where i still have anxiety so bad that i can't even trust the immodium...i wonder if it could fail if u were out eating?..i'm soooo afraid of food now.

#353948 - 01/04/10 09:32 PM
PMartin

Whey is what's leftover after milk is coagulated in the cheese making process. Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey. Although whey proteins are responsible for some milk allergies, the major allergens in milk are the caseins, which along with lactose are avoidable in a good whey protein product.
I too was concerned but have yet to experience any negative effects from taking whey protein (isolate being important) for several years and consider its (slight) constipating effect a bonus as I'll say again, I don't take it for my IBS.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5132

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review