All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Constipation Is Worse Than Ever new
      #354351 - 01/09/10 04:10 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

LM:

-When you refer to fruits, do you mean "canned" or raw?
-In other words...if I have canned apples (the kind you put in a pie)...is that still IF?
In other words...if I have canned pinneaples/apples/peaches/citrus fruits...are they still just as big a risk?

Syl:
-GI doc said if you take Align BEFORE taking Rifax...it can cause worsening because it adds more bacteria to the gut before clearing out the bad stuff....sound right to you?

-What's the difference between bloating and distenstion?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#354352 - 01/09/10 04:11 PM
Naturapanic

Oh...and somebody told me to have Ginger Ale or Club soda.
Is it true...does this work well for releasing trapped gas?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354356 - 01/09/10 07:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't recommend apples. You can get fresh, frozen or canned fruits. As long as you have some SF with them they don't need to be canned. Remember avoid apples, pears, grapes and melons (for now). Canned fruits definitely are lower in IF but I think it would be good to try a banana followed by a grapefruit or pineapple instead of just eating more SF fruits. You should increase IF remember?
BTW you asked what I eat and I don't think I ever responded. I eat oatmeal for B this time of year and smoothies with soy milk/soy yogurt and fruit in the summer.
I eat a snack bar of some kind, almonds, banana, grapefruit or pineapple for morning snack much of the time. Or instead of almonds I will have a soy cheese stick.
I eat leftovers for lunch or a sweet potato with some IF like veggies or nuts or a boca burger or lots of different things.
for afternoon snack I have a banana and an orange or peach or something like that.
That's on work days and I am hungry in the AM after exercise and sometimes eat even more for snacks in the AM. Non work days I might have a PB&J for snack or if farming I'll eat bananas and lots of snack bars or baked goods that are quick and easy. Sometimes I have a banana with PB and raisins/craisins on it.
Adding IF is a personal thing. For me IF of fruits, cooked veggies and nuts is much easier than IF of grains or raw veggies.

Distension is the thing many doctors don't believe we get so bad. It is the starving child huge belly thing. Bloating is more what is inside and distension is that it sticks out. My GI doc was amazed at how much my stomach grows in size when bloated. Docs just don't believe it can be so big.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354364 - 01/09/10 07:55 PM
Naturapanic

What's best/easiest for me is to get canned/frozen fruit (since I live solo) as it's cheaper and easier to prepare/preserve and not waste.

In that case if I eat canned/frozen:
-apples/applesauce/peaches/pears/mango/papya/fruit cocktail/strawberries/blueberries/cranberries/pinneapples

Am I doing a good job of both getting IF fiber into my diet and doing it safely (since it is canned not uncooked raw?)

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354368 - 01/10/10 04:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

"GI doc said if you take Align BEFORE taking Rifax...it can cause worsening because it adds more bacteria to the gut before clearing out the bad stuff"

Does not make sense to me. What does make sense is that it would be a waste of money to take Align and the antibiotic at the same time because the antibiotic would likely kill the Align bacteria.

Bloating is the perception of fullness due to visceral hypersensitivity. Distenstion is the physical extension of grith which can be measured using a plethysmography. Bloating is not always accompanies by distenstion.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354513 - 01/13/10 10:28 PM
Naturapanic

I still am not understanding what the difference is, I do not if I had bloating or distenstion.

Here is what I will say. The last few days have been better. I have somewhat more looser stools, more gas, and a more tight stomach.

This makes me wonder if my worsening of symptoms was caused by taking Align.

If so, I am very concerned about following the Dr's advice...which was to go on Rifaxmin...then Align.
She claims Rifax has few side effects...but since I will NOT be on acidophillus then...that in itself could cause problems.

Somebody else told me when I go on Rifaxmin to take Culturell during that time and then go back to acidophillus...since Culturell can withstand the anti-biotic.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354520 - 01/14/10 05:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Bloating is perceived in your brain as fullness as a results of changes in visceral sensitivity. Bloating may or may not be associated with distention. Distention is a measurable change in girth i.e the distance around a person's body.

Constipation is not a known side effect of Align

All antibiotics have potential side effects including Rifaxmin. Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur are:
•bloating, gas, stomach pain;
•feeling like you need to empty your bowel urgently;
•feeling like your bowel is not completely empty;
•nausea, vomiting, constipation;
•headache;
•fever;
•vaginal itching or discharge; or
•mild itching or skin rash

Culturell contains Lactobacillus GG. It will not withstand the antibiotic. It will with stand stomach acid.

Could it be that you have been feeling better the last few days because you increased your fiber consumption?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355165 - 02/02/10 07:37 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So, oranges would be okay?

#355167 - 02/02/10 08:42 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oranges are a great food, as long as you have a little SF with them. They are low in fructose too!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355185 - 02/02/10 05:16 PM
Naturapanic

I thought we should AVOID oranges and OJ due to citrus?
I haven't had them in a long time.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1764 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21853

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review