All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Constipation Is Worse Than Ever new
      #353875 - 01/03/10 06:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree that you should be taking more SFS. I have been getting toward C lately as if I am aging and heading that way and I upped my acacia to two heaping tablespoons or more. It definitely helps.

Now you see what I mean about the need for IF. People are too scared of it and now you see your greater need of it. I still don't think you should use an IF grain alone like just oat bran. I prefer to have instant oats with nuts and dried fruit for more IF. Maybe you could try that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#353878 - 01/03/10 07:06 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

For IBS-C you have to get your dietary fiber intake - soluble and insoluble fiber - up to 30-40 grams per day or even higher. So source suggest for IBS-C you may to get up to 50-60 grams per days of dietary fiber from your diet. Taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber three times a day only gives you an additional 10.5 grams from SFS.

You don't have to be stuck with Oat Bran and Applesauce. If you think oat bran is good for you then buy pure oat bran add a small amount (1/4/-1/2 teaspoon) to regular oatmeal and add berries or banana.

Add more probiotic is not likely to gain you a significant improvement. And Jarro-dophillus while it is a good general probiotic it has not been shown to be effective for IBS.

1) I was taking 1 teaspoon of Benefiber twice daily.
2) I was having 1 teaspoon of Oat Bran with a bowl of applesauce as my breakfast.

I really feel overmatched...I don't know how to eat more fiber...I tried regular and even Quick Oats and those seemed to not work.
I am almost wondering if what I am going through...which is the worst stretch in FIVE years is due to Align...even though I was on it less than 2 weeks and have been off of it for nearly a week.

3) What probiotic then HAS been shown to work with IBS? Ever other one besides Jarrow I try (VSL/Align) fails.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353879 - 01/03/10 07:09 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

And I don't mean to sound rude, but IBS is unfair as you say, however you have to make the best of it. Attitude is half the battle. We sound alot alike in how our bodies process foods. Do you work on other aspects such as exercise, hypnosis, meditation, etc? All of these help the mind and attitude. That is much more the issue for me than the food.

I hope this helps some and believe me I do know and share your discomfort.

It's not my attitude...I have had IBS for a long time and the last month has been the worst in FIVE years.
I have no idea what is going on...all I can think is this is some adverse reaction to me switching to Align from Jarrowdophillus (which what my GI doc said).
Even though I was Align only 1.5 week and have been off it almost a week.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353880 - 01/03/10 07:13 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I agree that you should be taking more SFS. I have been getting toward C lately as if I am aging and heading that way and I upped my acacia to two heaping tablespoons or more. It definitely helps.

Now you see what I mean about the need for IF. People are too scared of it and now you see your greater need of it. I still don't think you should use an IF grain alone like just oat bran. I prefer to have instant oats with nuts and dried fruit for more IF. Maybe you could try that.

I know the need for IF but I have no idea how get the recommened amount.
I tried oatmeal....it did not work...it makes me even more dry and bloated.
Green Beans...don't do much.
This is really frustrating...maybe if there was a fiber I could actually eat it would help.

I have no idea what to do...none.
More fiber....what does that mean?

I eat saled...bloated...backed up.
Oatmeal....bloated...backed up.
Nuts....bloated.....backed up.
How am I supposed to get more fiber when everytime I try it gets worse?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353881 - 01/03/10 07:15 PM
Naturapanic

In cases like this...with very bad C....would taking milk of magnesia be a good idea?
I can not keep feeling this way.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353887 - 01/03/10 08:23 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sorry Natuopanic, I didn't mean to cause upset. I am in a severe cycle of C right now. also. I guess I am going to have to get the Bran Buds. Hopefully, that will work again.

This cycle of C seemed to coincide with my mother's illness, so I am thinking that is part of it.

I had to go off Align also. It was useless for me, and it was costing alot. I have never heard of Jarrowdophillus, but maybe that is something I will give a try.

I have had IBS a lifetime, so I know that some periods can be more trying than others. I hope that you find your answers.

#353896 - 01/04/10 05:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

1) I was taking 1 teaspoon of Benefiber twice daily.

The instructions on the label of the original Benefiber say 12 yrs. to adult 2 teaspoons 3 times daily . I presume you are not taking the orange flavoured version because it contains aspartame and lactose (milk).

Constipation is not a known side effect of Align. If you have tried Align and VSL#3 then probiotics may not be the answer for you. They don't work for everyone.

What fruits and veggies are you eating to get your soluble and insoluble fiber from other than from Benefiber?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353918 - 01/04/10 11:55 AM
Naturapanic

-I have a bowl of applesauce in the morning with Oat Bran mixed in (anything else...I will not go).

-I have frozen spinach at dinner...but it I rarely finish the bowl because it tastes so nasty (anything else...green beans/peas do not work)

So I am really out of idea.
I need fast microwavable things...but outside of frozen spinach nothing work.

What about Natural Calm or Milk of Magnesium?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353919 - 01/04/10 12:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you saying that the only fruit and veggies you eat are applesauce in the morning and frozen spinach at dinner?

If that is all the fiber you are eating then you really aren't getting enough fiber in your diet. You need at least two servings of veggies/fruit with lunch and supper.

Give natural calm a try. Others on this board claim it works for them.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353936 - 01/04/10 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Every so often a little MOM or Phillips chews isn't horrible. It is bad to take too often. Another option for occassional use is Miralax. Taking more SFS and drinking more will help in the long run. Just want to ask; you don't take PM meds like Tyl PM do you?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3082 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review