All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Forum "Confrontation" - my 2 cents...
      #353737 - 01/02/10 08:54 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I might regret sticking my nose in here but I'm going to do it anyway because I'm not taking sides (sorry to put it so immaturely) but rather trying to offer an impartial opinion.

I think what's at the root of all this is FRUSTRATION; our frustration with having IBS and the endless time and effort we put in to finding a resolution which just seems futile when our IBS (and symptoms) inevitably rear its ugly head. From here it's just a matter of human nature taking over and we need an outlet for this frustration.

Think about it...having IBS sucks...I think we'd all agree. The anxiety that comes with it makes an already bad situation worse. Getting little, if any help from doctors just adds insult and adds to our frustration. The seemingly endless trial and error (usually error) time spent on medication is a roller coaster ride for our emotions. All this with an overall diminished quality of life because we're afraid to go to certain places or do certain things and policing and analyzing every little morsel of food that we put in our mouth.

I think we've all felt at one point that if we had to be "sick" with something, (almost) anything would be better than this. We are the only people that knows how each other feels and are going through every day.

Personally, I share Shawneric's (and Heather's of course - it is her site) outlook that food, unless and presuming that you've taking the steps necessary to rule it out, is not the cause of IBS. It will however, certainly act as a trigger as we are more sensitive. So, whether it's the exact EFI diet or not, find what works for you and eat that. At this point, the 60 million dollar question - what we're all looking for is what causes our IBS? Some people feel that it is simply and just food. Others acknowledge and are exploring the connection between their brain and gut. To me, the fact is that we are all still looking for the cause of our IBS and how to fix it is evidence that no one has the answer and nothing should be ruled out.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Forum "Confrontation" - my 2 cents... new
      #353744 - 01/02/10 09:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting post.

I am uncertain that most people are looking for a cause. I think they are looking for relief irrespective of the cause. After all most people don't know the causes of many of the diseases and disorders they have but they definitely are looking for a way to manage the problem.

Looking for a causes of IBS is a waste of time unless one is familiar with the vast amount of clinical research that has already been done. Educating oneself to the known IBS research requires considerable time, effort and education background which unfortunately many IBSers don't have.

The best an individual IBS sufferer can do is look for useful management techniques such as the EFI diet and gut directed hypnotherapy. Unfortunately, we have to leave the question of cause to knowledgeable individuals that have the tools and techniques needed to address this elusive and complicated question.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I Completely Agree! new
      #353748 - 01/02/10 09:55 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I'm going to throw my 2-cents worth in here! I totally agree with both you and Syl here.

What really gripes me is that we (the sufferers) have been forced to educate not only ourselves, but also our doctors, relatives, and friends. They just don't 'get it' otherwise, and few are open to even hearing or learning. Even then, they silently suspect or assume that we are crazy or exaggerating! We're NOT.

It doesn't do much good for the NIH to study CAUSES of IBS BEFORE using those tax supported dollars for grants that would be better spent on educating doctors and thus afford sufferers of IBS information as to appropriate management of the symptoms, and still remain properly nourished so as to avoid other (often major) health issues!

IBS definitely affects the quality of life of the afflicted as well as those around them who have higher expectations of us than we can realistically meet.

This can be a Merry-Go-Round for sure, and not the same type we rode on as a child with excitement, hoping to catch that brass ring. Some days I've felt like becoming a hermit, thinking that might be an easier way to live. Even so, I was born a survivor of lots of things, so that's my basic innate personality, and this will unlikely change.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Forum "Confrontation" - my 2 cents... new
      #353752 - 01/02/10 10:51 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I guess I'll have to choose my words a little better. You're right Syl, most people probably aren't as concerned with the cause as they are the remedy but that's what I meant and was implying assuming that it would be interpreted that if one knows the cause, they can then treat it.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2923

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review