All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does your body get used to certain foods?
      #353692 - 01/01/10 09:43 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Just a topic for discussion here

I've noticed that if I gradually build up eating a food, my body will get used to it. I could give a lot of examples- coconut, corn chips, dates, various nuts.

All of these foods I would eat a small to moderate amount and get some reaction, where it be gas or just feeling a change. These reactions aren't necessarily bad, but after a few weeks, they dissapear. I can eat more of that given food, and not really feel any difference.

Has anybody else experienced something similar? You know, theres so much talk around these forums about 'safe' and 'unsafe.' I think few foods are really 'unsafe,' its just about adding them into your diet in a smart and balanced way.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does your body get used to certain foods? new
      #353693 - 01/01/10 10:00 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yes, I've had that experience. Some of it is with "trigger foods" and some of it is with food that is generally considered safe.

Five years ago, there was very little I could eat without some reaction. Today, I eat almost anything. I still steer clear of beef and large amounts of dairy, but otherwise, I am not limited. However, it's important to note that it did not happen overnight.

#353699 - 01/01/10 11:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think I know what you mean. When it comes to things like nuts and dried fruit that could be the case. Fat amount is slightly different- it has to do with what all is in our gut at one time.
Remember IF foods are not necessarily 'unsafe' in that we still need to eat them just do so with SF. Sometimes people have a problem with the idea that there are the foods everyone should plain avoid like red meat and dairy; the foods that require more care like fats and IF; and the foods that require less care like SF foods that just need to be eaten often and slowly.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353706 - 01/01/10 12:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This is a common experience even for non-IBSers. There are more than 500 different types of bacteria in the colon flora. When you withdraw a food from you diet for a prolonged period of time the population of the bacteria that ferment the indigestible part of that food may decrease. When you reintroduce the food, particularly fibers, fats/oils and some sugars, and continue to eat it the population will increase which may cause GI discomfort for a week or two. A good example of this is Heather recommendations to slowly increase the amount of tummy fiber over time to allow your body to adjust to the colonic bacteria fermenting the fiber.

You are right. Some people can handle small amounts of 'unsafe' foods eaten in a balanced manner with other foods. However, there are some 'unsafe' foods such as those containing caffeine, artificial sweeteners and flavors that are best avoided at all times.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353822 - 01/03/10 10:21 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

ok, that answer definitely makes sense to me

So, I've heard that when you introduce a new food, you eat a small amount, and wait 4 days. Does that sound right? How exactly should you build yourself up to eating it?

#353842 - 01/03/10 11:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Everybody is different. You will have to 'feel' your way along the journey OTOH - four days sounds like a good place to start.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review