All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone eat Organic food only?
      #353600 - 12/30/09 02:03 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Well my celiac test came back negative so thats a good thing but still doesn't tell me whats wrong. I guess it just might be ibs-d after all. My lomotil and librium work great but I don't want to have to rely on them every day. So I was wondering if anyone here eats organic foods only and if so have you noticed a difference. I figure its one thing I haven't tried and if I go organic that will take care of the msg my doc told me to try to stay away from and all the perservatives and unatural products they put in foods these days. So any advice or experiences with going organic. I am ibs-d and can't leave my house without taking my lomotil.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone eat Organic food only? new
      #353603 - 12/30/09 02:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I tried organic for a period of time. It made little difference. Staying away from commercially prepared foods made a big difference. If I have to buy prepared foods I read the label carefully before purchasing. If it contains an ingredient I am not sure about I don't purchase it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353604 - 12/30/09 02:48 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I do eat organically mostly and do grow much of my own food. I also belong to a CSA where I can get organic produce in the winter months. I also work on the CSA farm to help sustain the beautiful produce I receive and to give back.

There is a list of the most contaminated fruits/veggies, so I would start there. It can get expensive, so try starting with the most contaminated foods, and go from there.

I also buy meat, eggs, and poultry from a farm up the road that is also organic.

I think in the long-term your body will thank you! HTH

#353609 - 12/30/09 03:25 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I follow pretty much the same approach. I do buy some things organic, especially if it's the only way I can get a particular product without a lot of artificial ingredients. I think avoiding HFCS, trans-fats, artificial flavors/colors/preservatives has helped me somewhat. I also try to buy locally whenever possible.

To save costs, here's a list of foods that tend to have low toxicity and don't need to be organic:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02984/12-Foods-You-Dont-Have-to-Buy-Organic.html

My poor husband - one day he went to the grocery store and bought me organic bananas and I told him he was nuts - he thought he was doing so good!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#353619 - 12/30/09 03:56 PM
mrae

I guess trying to eat whole foods vs processed foods is more important than it being organic.

Re: Anyone eat Organic food only? One more thing new
      #353620 - 12/30/09 04:05 PM
mrae

I'm not much of a meat eater but when I do want meat is that the one thing that is healthier if it is organic?

Re: Anyone eat Organic food only? One more thing new
      #353621 - 12/30/09 04:13 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I don't know if it's healthier, but I think the organic chicken, for one, tastes better!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 855 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review