All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
I fit the Rome Criteria to a T with no red flags new
      #353302 - 12/17/09 03:32 PM

Unregistered

Abnormal stool frequency (may be defined as greater than 3 bowel movements per day and less than 3 bowel movements per week);

Abnormal stool form (lumpy/hard or loose/watery stool);

3. Abnormal stool passage (straining, urgency, or feeling of incomplete evacuation);

4. Passage of mucus;

5. Bloating or feeling of abdominal distension.

Supportive Symptoms of IBS:

2. More than three bowel movements a day
3. Hard or lumpy stools
4. Loose (mushy) or watery stools
5. Straining during a bowel movement
6. Urgency (having to rush to have a bowel movement)
7. Feeling of incomplete bowel movement
8. Passing mucus (white material) during a bowel movement
9. Abdominal fullness, bloating, or swelling

I do have a question about mucus though..does it always have to be actual white? sometimes I notice it is white,but for me its mostly clear with fece particles in it or a little yellow,order mucus that sits in me overnight is older looking and a little darker. I have absolutly no red flag symptoms.

oh my symptoms are 24/7 even when its bed time and sometiems I wake up and release tons of gas or also feel uncomfortable. but don't have bm's. but that happens to some of us,right?

Edited by aperson (12/17/09 03:34 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I fit the Rome Criteria to a T with no red flags new
      #353303 - 12/17/09 04:24 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

What you state here, may be true. Even so, you have indicated many things in your posts that are red flags that require at least basic diagnostic testing. It is easy to remain in denial and "hope" that you only fit the basic criteria for IBS. You also have indicated that you are lonely and have no friends other than your bf.

The best thing you could do for yourself is have the basic colonoscopy performed. This rules out everything on the lower end that might be more serious. Given you don't seem to describe any upper GI symptoms, it is unlikely that you would need any further testing for a concrete diagnosis.

How would you actually feel if you were told that you do not have IBS at all, but rather your symptoms are related to your diet and lack of exercise and the daily motivation to fully participate in life? Would you be disappointed that you do not have IBS?

Personally, I think you would be disappointed. You do need some exercise (walking in the neighborhood or along the roadside, even in the snow. Look at the beautiful trees and nature, the birds, a wild animal here or there.

Sitting all day is not good for anyone. Not developing friendships and being connected outside of your home (beyond your job and family) is not good either. Perhaps you could find someone locally to teach you a craft, or how to cook. There are elderly people everywhere who would love to have you visit and teach you something. They are lonely too!

My heart goes out to you, yet only you can make the appropriate changes and stop looking for reasons, making excuses, and moving forward to make a better life for yourself.

It also appears that you may be attempting to get into recipes that go beyond your equipment on hand and your understanding of IF and SF. As soon as I can get to it, I will email a list of simple things you can keep on hand in your pantry (or bedroom) that will provide you with an abundance of easily prepared and tasty "safe" meals that require little preparation. Even so, you would need to commit to eating three small meals a day and getting some exercise, snacking safely in-between.

It is defintely time for change if you genuinely want to improve overall and have a life, as you say you do. Be careful about buying into self-pitty and excuses that deprive you of a full life. A colonoscopy can be arranged for you through your Social Services Department in North Dakata. I suggest that you begin there, while contemplating the other suggestions here.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: I fit the Rome Criteria to a T with no red flags new
      #353305 - 12/17/09 05:08 PM

Unregistered

I've been a loner my whole life,so before I had ibs,never had any problems with food until I got ibs. No problem with being a loner,I don't get lonely often,as I've always preffered reading,sitting alone,playing nintendo games. But the times I have wanted to do something like take a walk in nice weather,or get my check from work and put it in the bank before I have to work. I would not be close enough to a toilet or be able to do those things cuz I felt so awful. I never have been able to,severe ibs,can't stay out of the toilet or feel so awful before work with strong urges to use the toilet all day,somtimties I cramp up so bad I can't move until I'm out of the toilet then for a little time after that until I'm in there again. I get 6 hours worth of walking,fast walking,moving my whole body,my arms are lifting baskets filled with fries, they're not light nor really heavy I'd say 5 pounds or more,and you lift those non stop for hours on hours,not only life and dump for hours,but pick them up and put them in the oil,and lift them up to drain them,then thats when you dump all the fries out fo the basket to then be made and frantically moving to scoop and put in boxes.I walk up and down steep stairs and the very LEAST could be 6 tiems a day, its more like 10 or more. I often carry up 35 pound boxes up those stairs,its a challenge but I can carry 2 up in one time,not without some panting and my legs feeling like they got a workout. there's other things I lift like bags full of frys to fill the machin that dumps the fries into the baskets.esometimes moving so much I'm sweating, working hard 5 days a wek,then 2 days a week I spend hours cooking and cleaning.

sorry Syl new
      #353306 - 12/17/09 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It's forewarned- as in fore like before.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: sorry Syl new
      #353309 - 12/17/09 05:33 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thanks - I knew there was something wrong when I wrote those words but I couldn't put my finger on it And for armed should be fore-armed

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: What if YOU were the one of the two in 100??? new
      #353317 - 12/18/09 10:49 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

In regards to the Rome 111, its ask your doctor if they are using it.

The diagnoses of exclusion was changed a long time ago. But heather is right and research doctors know this and are trying to educate gastro doctors and primary care doctors a long time after they have come up with the differnt rome criteria.

The next most common for the most part misdiagnoses is celiac.

There is also a problem in running to many tests which cause more anxiety and more money.

Most people can confidently be diagnosed with IBS and one way is to ask your doctor if they know about and use the rome criteria and that helps educate thm as well.

I agree with blood tests and stool work and basic testing that can help rule out quite a few serious conditions.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#353355 - 12/20/09 09:10 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

There is a very good article here in pdf format

Guest Column
Brennan Spiegel, MD, MSHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine;
Program Director, UCLA GI Fellowship Training Program
Guest Column
Editor's Note: In July of this year, our Center was delighted to host Brennen Spiegel, MD
as a Visiting Professor of the UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders and
the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. During his stay, Dr. Spiegel presented
at a Division Research Conference on the topic, "Introduction to Health Related Quality
of Life Measurement" and he also spoke at a Center Luncheon on "Culling the Wheat from
the Chaff in Irritable Bowel Syndrome". This luncheon topic is also the basis of his Guest
Column in this issue of The Digest. We hope you enjoy this article.

Diagnostic Testing in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Theory vs. Reality

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/Autumn_2009_Digest.pdf

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#353357 - 12/20/09 09:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

That article and the quote from it sparked the debate in this thread

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

For Syl... This is a GREAT debate! new
      #353358 - 12/20/09 10:07 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Syl,

I think this thread has sparked some education here, even beyond 'food for thought'. Debates are not a bad thing if handled respectfully, and I think everyone has done that in their posts here.

Given educating doctors seemingly is a part of what many are having to face to get proper care, I am working on a project in my local rural area. I personally visit my chiropractor once every four weeks for a maintenance spinal adjustment. This is particularly helpful during the summer months when I am gardening and doing some rather stupid things that my back doesn't like. His office uses a 'Pro-Adjuster' which is computerized, and does not require guessing nor spinal 'cracking' from the neck to the tailbone. Absolutely State of the Art equipment with wonderful results. The difference in the spine before the adjustment, to the after result, is clearly shown on the computer screen, though sometimes taking 2-3 passes to align the spine. There is no pain nor discomfort, nor cracking sounds.

Now, back to what I was gonna say... because this is a Wellness Center, I am working with the other chiropractor in the office who orders the products that they sell. She is very much open to selling Heather's products and is extremely impressed that they are organic. It is my hope and prayer that this Wellness Center will carry Heather's products by next spring. If so, they will be the first to do so in Northern California. They have many patients with IBS that would definitely benefit from the products. In addition, these are so very good for those who don't even have IBS.

I believe that if more people would eat an IBS-structured diet, or a diabetic diet, they would be healthier overall and remain healthy for the rest of their natural lives.

Thanks Syl for your kind input in this and many of the posts I have read or initiated. We need people like you to give us the 'guts' (excuse the pun) to educate others, including the medical community.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review