Pages: 1
A couple of questions Acacia/normality!
      #352863 - 11/30/09 07:04 AM
pancake

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: Essex UK

Hi All

I have a couple of questions about the use of heathers acacia fibre etc

I'm 38yrs old & have had IBS-D with servere morning urgency for nearly 18yrs & I am having trouble remembering what normal is!!!!

After having a few really bad days last week & I've never taken to my bed with IBS before (not three days in a row anyway!)I received the acacia fibre on saturday morning & took a 1/2tsp dose straightaway followed by the same last thing saturday night, I did the same on sunday, I never had any urgency problems on sunday morning but I put that down to taking a couple loperamides on saturday as I was out for the day,
Anyway this morning no urgency issues again WONDERFUL!!!

I have decided to increase the acacia to a total 1.5tsp today,

My BM's are still fairly loose so do I carry on increasing until they are normal?

Helen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My take on this... and ask Heather or her staff for more info new
      #352866 - 11/30/09 09:26 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well first of all I definitely sympasize with your IBS-D. This has been my problem as well, though the acacia fiber, peppermint capsules, and Heather's teas are making a world of difference in how I feel and how much time I spend on the 'potty'. Even so, I need to get my appetite back and focus on cooking healthy IBS safe foods for myself.

I personally would say that if you have not been taking any other fiber supplement prior to switching to Healther's product, then you need to go slowly. More is not always 'better' too soon. Stay at one dose for 4 days and then add another 1/2 teaspoon with each a.m. and p.m. dose. When you have had no problems for 4 days at whatever level, then keep continuing that. If you find that you are symptomatic again, then increase the dose by another 1/2 tsp. every 4 days until you again reach bowel stability. You can take up to 4 tablespoons (divided in a.m. and p.m. doses) a day in time, though not everyone needs that much to remain stable.

I suggest you keep a journal of how much you took each day, and what you ate that day. Eventually you will figure out your own personal program by reviewing the information in your journal. Some of us can eat some things that others cannot. The idea is to SLOWLY stretch the colon and keep it that way so that you can digest food normally (or at least more normally). If you stretch it too fast, then you're most likely gonna have pain! Make sure you are eating IBS safe foods, too. Your gut will let you know when you have cheated...

This is like putting pieces of a puzzle together that finally reveals your own picture in the end!

Best to you.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: My take on this... and ask Heather or her staff for more info new
      #352873 - 11/30/09 04:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree. If you are somewhat used to fiber you can increase the dose at your discretion, but go slower if you are not used to fiber.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: My take on this... and ask Heather or her staff for more info new
      #352917 - 12/02/09 01:03 AM
pancake

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: Essex UK

Sorry for the late reply, could not get on to the message board yesterday

Thanks for all your help

Still feeling good today, I am taking 2tsp per day at the moment & I will stay on that for a few days

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4080 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review