Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peppermint capsules causing problems?
      #352739 - 11/27/09 02:52 AM
pancake

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: Essex UK

Hi All

I have been stable for a while now but started taking peppermint oil capsules a few days ago as directed, in the morning before eating, but the last couple of days I have had really bad diarrhea, this morning within an hour I had watery diarrhea & cramps,
could peppermint oil be an irritant to some people?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint capsules causing problems? new
      #352740 - 11/27/09 04:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is difficult to tell if the peppermint might be the problem unless you tell us what else you have been eating. It would be helpful if you listed the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past couple days. Also, where these Heather's enteric coated peppermint capsules you took. If no what is the brand name and what are the ingredients listed on the label?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352742 - 11/27/09 05:33 AM
pancake

Hi

The peppermint capsules are soft gel capsules 200mg
contains pure oil peppermint, pure sunflower oil, gelatine & glycerine, made by Holland & barrett,

Yesterday I ate
banana bread breakfast, (eaten that for weeks so no problems)
Lunch, soup, sweet pots, chicken stock cube, carrots, parsnips, blended until smooth, eaten all the ingredients before with no problems

snack, banana bread

Dinner, chicken breast with a sprinkle of paprika & lime, pan fried (No oil) boiled Jasmine rice & some chestnuts (cooked tinned)

Thats it!

I've eaten everything before without any apparent problems

#352786 - 11/27/09 01:56 PM
Syl

Ah - Barrett and Holland - you must live in the UK The peppermint capsule look fine.

Are you normally IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A?

The reason I ask is I am IBS-D and I can't eat parsnips no matter how well they are blended. Too much insoluble fiber for me. Also, I find that some of the ingredients in commericial stock cubes can be problematic. Now I only use chicken stock I prepare myself.

The problem could have been the soup not necessarily the pepperment capsules. You might have to experiment but generally speaking enteric coated peppermint is IBS safe unless you have reflux.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#352793 - 11/27/09 04:39 PM
pancake

Thanks Syl

I will have a look again at the stock cubes just in case, I know they are organic but that doesn't stop them being a problem!

I'm IBS D all the way! I don't think I have ever been constipated in my life!

I've been drinking peppermint tea ok it just seems odd about the capsules, I think I'm going to give them a miss for the next couple of days & see,

I just feel absolutely sapped of energy

I must admit I haven't eaten parnips for ages but assumed because on the safe list they were ok but again I suppose its down to the individual,

I have just been "talking" to someone on another forum (not IBS related)I mentioned how crap I am feeling & why, she told me about a supplement her daughter is taking as she has ulcerative colitis (SP?) called glutamine apparently it has worked wonders for her, I've read up on it a bit tonight & it sounds interesting I might give it a go, can't make me any worse than I am at the moment!

will let you know how it goes!

Helen

#352795 - 11/27/09 04:49 PM
pancake

I've just read your post re the glutamine,

Interesting to note that most of the foods listed that contain glutamine I don't eat

Maybe its worth a try!

#352803 - 11/28/09 05:59 AM
Syl

It cannot hurt to try l-glutamine however, there is no evidence that is of any value for IBS. Recently there has been some exciting research about melatonin. I have been experimenting with 3 mg of melatonin taken a bed time. There is good research showing that it can significantly reduce pain and urgency in IBS-D. I have been taking it for a month. After about a week of taking it I noticed a big decrease in pain. If you decide to try it please tell me how it goes. I think melatonin is available in health food stores in the UK.

Good luck

--------------------

Melantonin - Puritans Pride new
      #352805 - 11/28/09 08:17 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Syl,

Here is a link to where you can purchase Melatonin. This company ships promptly and pretty much worldwide. The parcel arrives on your doorstep within a few days. Shipping in the USA is only $4.95 no matter how many products you purchase. I've used their products for years and find them to be of very high quality and fresh (at least 2 years to expiration).

http://www.puritan.com/

I have taken Melatonin in the past and found it to be a very good body hormone balancer. I'm not talking 'female' hormones here, by the way, that's a different product. Our body has many types of hormones for proper balanced function, and sometimes they do well with some help adjusting and balancing.

I would be interested in reading an article or two about how Melantonin might be helpful in IBS-D. Perhaps you can add some hyperlinks here.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#352806 - 11/28/09 08:39 AM

Unregistered

I take brith control pills..so it may be a good idea to take melatonin? I recieved my organic slippery elm capsules yesterday and had no reaction to them that I know about.

I didn't even know melatonin was something you could take as a supplemnt.

does anyone have problems with regular turkey,like thanksgiving turkey? it makes me burp nasy tastes.

Edited by aperson (11/28/09 08:53 AM)

Re: Melantonin - Puritans Pride new
      #352812 - 11/28/09 09:56 AM
Syl

I have a good source of melatonin at the local drug store.

There is a link in my original posting above to a good article. I will post more links later.

--------------------

#352813 - 11/28/09 10:27 AM
Windchimes

Well, Syl... The truth is, not everyone does. I can't even purchase a probiotic in my little rural town pharmacy. They fill prescriptions only.

Particularly this time of the year when there is often snow and ice on the narrow and winding two lane roads up and down hills to travel 40 minutes (each way) is time-consuming and often dangerous!

For those who have access to melatonin locally, they are fortunate. Online ordering for some is a real convenience, and the shipping costs way less than gasoline to get what we need. I just ordered some more melatonin from Puritan's Pride. They are presently having a two for one sale, and melatonin is inexpensive to begin with.

By the way, I think you forgot to add the link in your last post.

--------------------

#352817 - 11/28/09 11:57 AM
Syl

If you look in the original posting you will see the word 'research' is underlined. It is the link to one of the research papers. There are more I will post later

PS - I live in Western Canada so I know cold snowy winters and winter road well

--------------------

#352821 - 11/28/09 12:15 PM
pancake

Thats an interesting read! we are unable to buy Melatonin over the counter in the UK but there is nothing illegal in buying it in from abroad,
Heather's Acacia fiber arrived today which isn't bad (10 days) so I think I will put myself on that & see how it goes for a couple of weeks then try either the glutamine or melatonin next,

I haven't taken the peppermint today & my guts are still bad today, all I have eaten today is plain rice so god knows what going on inside!

#352823 - 11/28/09 12:23 PM
Windchimes

Okay, Syl... I did find the 'reseach' you mentioned in another post that wasn't following the one just above it. Thanks for telling me that it was at least on the same thread.

I have found melatonin (3 mg at bedtime) extremely helpful for sleep. Within 30 minutes of taking it, I am sleepy and sleep soundly for at least 5 hours. Even at that, I am able to go right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours after visiting the bathroom (bladder).

Irregardless of what studies to date demonstrate, Melatonin DID help me get a good night's sleep. I never considered that it was also helping my IBS, though now I think it probably WAS, as during this time I was IBS symptom free and could eat most anything I wanted in small quantities, absent any diarrahea or bothersome bloating or gas.

Go figure!

I ordered some more Melatonin today, and am going to start taking it again. It apparently worked well for me, and I didn't realize at the time just how much it was helping many things beyond my conscious awareness of a need for better (sound) sleep.

Let me know if you should find any more studies that you think might be of interest to me.

--------------------

Pancake... You are wise! new
      #352824 - 11/28/09 12:35 PM
Windchimes

You are very wise for not introducting too many new things until you know for sure that you are tolerating something, before you start something else. I KNOW that you will have absolutely no problem with Heather's acacia fiber, though you will need to start slowly (as directed), and continue with the program until you find what amount daily works for you personally.

Melatonin is not a 'drug' per se. It really doesn't fall into the category of what a doctor has to prescribe. It is more like other vitamins and supplements. It probably is actually available in the UK under some other supplement name.

You may want to take a look around the Puritan's Pride website anyway in the interim, as they have many things to offer so that you will know for future reference. These are all categorized on the left side of the home page, and there are descriptions of exactly what each product contains in the description (click on the product).

Presently they are in transition to updating their new website, so some things you may not (yet) be able to get full information on, though you can simply email their customer support for the info you want.

Best of luck to you. You're gonna LOVE Heather's Tummy Tamer! You can put this in anything and get the full benefit, hot or cold.

--------------------

Re: Pancake... You are wise! new
      #352827 - 11/28/09 01:21 PM
pancake

Thank you windchimes,

I have just bought some melatonin online as I'm very interested in its sleep qualities, I don't sleep well at all so thought I'd try it for that, its coming from the US so it will give me severals days on the fibre,

Just out of interest what happens if you do take too much of it too early?

Helen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7090

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review