All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anti-Inflammatory Diet?
      #352390 - 11/18/09 08:57 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I recently read a magazine/book (it's like a hybrid) by Dr. Andrew Weil where he puts foward an "anti-inflammatory" diet. It balances well with EFI but since it's designed for healthy people he allows a little dairy (but would prefer most protein come from plant sources) and obviously whole grain everything. However, aside from that there is a lot of common ground.

Anyway, and this question is for the camp on this site that are looking into the role of low level inflammation in IBS. I have often felt that though all my tests for IBD came back negative, that there was some inflammation involved, as bIBS (before IBS) I never ever had any body temp regulation problems and aIBS (after IBS) I generally get dizzy or have a hot flush type thing in my head/ears about once or twice a week.

So, would adopting an anti-inflammatory diet (or at least incorporating the elements from it that jive with the EFI diet while still not leaving the confines overall of the EFI diet) potentially benefit this particular side effect, or my IBS as a whole?

Obviously there are different types of inflammation, but I just wanted to get a survey of opinions.

Thanks!

For more info, from what I can remember, he creates his own food pyramid and has veggies (all colors) on the bottom, with plant protein, healthy oils, fish, whole grain pasta/bread, asian mushrooms, healthy spices. I'm sure there are more but that's the gist.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet? new
      #352404 - 11/18/09 11:50 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Mike, read the thread

ShawnEric or Syl - What do you think of this information? from frygurl

There is also a newer specific easy stool test for inflammation in the digestive tract. Also usally and I am not 100 percent on this, but a high white blodd cells count shows the body is trying to fight and infection.

also the inflammation seen in IBSers is Macroscopic of specific cells, not overt inflammation. You want to make sure the doctor checked out or you talked to him about microscopic colitus for example if you have certain symptoms, it can mimick some ibs symptoms.

Fruits and vegetables help inflammation, but not all are IBS friendly.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#352406 - 11/18/09 12:03 PM
shawneric

Diagnostic performance of rapid tests for detection of fecal calprotectin and lactoferrin and their ability to discriminate inflammatory from irritable bowel syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18597588?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=6

Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008 Jan;14(1):32-9.

Discriminating IBD from IBS: comparison of the test performance of fecal markers, blood leukocytes, CRP, and IBD antibodies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17924558?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=8

Am J Gastroenterol. 2008 Jan;103(1):162-9. Epub 2007 Oct 4.

Noninvasive markers in the assessment of intestinal inflammation in inflammatory bowel diseases: performance of fecal lactoferrin, calprotectin, and PMN-elastase, CRP, and clinical indices.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17916108?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=9

Gut. 2007 Dec;56(12):1706-13. Epub 2007 Aug 3.

Faecal S100A12 as a non-invasive marker distinguishing inflammatory bowel disease from irritable bowel syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17675327?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=10

Pretty simple stool tests that can help, you can show your doctor or ask him about.

You might want to read this also.

scroll down the page too

Diagnostic Testing in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Theory vs. Reality

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/Autumn_2009_Digest.pdf

--------------------

#352417 - 11/18/09 01:10 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I experience the same symptoms you do from time to time. I have no doubt there is a inflammation component to my IBS.

I tried integrating Weil's anti-inflammatory diet into the EFI diet. It didn't help me. Somethings such as high fat fish cuts, omega-3 fatty acid supplements, vitamin C and E and a variety of other recommended supplements exacerbated my symptoms. Also, I have severe restrictions on insoluble fiber intake so things like beans, whole rice, many fruits and vegetables, etc are not viable options. Eating cruciferous vegetables and fruits with excess fructose are definitely out.

I think the principles are sound. Perhaps some IBSers can follow it closely. I suspect there is a large segment of the population that cannot. However I think, and Heather can correct me if I am wrong, that the EFI diet embeds most of Weil's principles filtered for IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352419 - 11/18/09 02:19 PM
Syl

I am not quite sure what you question is but I think it might pertain to detecting inflammation. IBS inflammation may be localized and low level. Conventional systemic measures using blood and stool may not detect it. Perhaps some day they might develop novel biomarker tests which could be used on blood and stool samples.

I know there is a US company selling a 16 biomarker IBS blood testing service. I am uncertain how these biomarkers are related to inflammation. In a recent article in Gastroenterology Quigley and Clarke looked at the blood test in some detail. They also discussed the historical evolution of the study of immune system responses in IBS. While post-infectious IBS was first on the scene a variety of others have been found since. However, they point out that none of these observations has been translated into a biomarker for IBS. They conclude the blood test is a novel idea but fraught with problems. It looks like some new tools are being developed but it could take many years of research to find and test them

Reference
Quigley, E. M. M., & Clarke, G. (2009). A serologic test for irritable bowel syndrome: real meat or bare bones? Gastroenterology, in press

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#352420 - 11/18/09 03:20 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I haven't taken any of those specialized tests, but my doctor has run all the traditional ones, and concluded confidently that I do not have IBD, at least the traditional IBD. My specific question was the efficacy of the low inflammation diet on IBS symptoms if indeed they were caused in part by inflammation. The replies answered that question by in essence saying "It could, but only if your IBS tolerates the things you need to eat to help you." In my personal case, fruits and veggies seem to be ok in small quantities, and for some strange reasons mushrooms (I even tried microwaving them, so no oil) are not. I haven't had a problem with fatty fish. I do not take supplements.

It will take me some time to go over all the links presented but thanks for the responses. I wish science moved at a faster pace. Having to wait 5 years after a treatment or idea is invented to have it tested and all is a horrible situation, because even if a cure was invented today, the earliest any of us would benefit is 5 years from now.

#352427 - 11/18/09 04:08 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

In the years prior to my discovering Heather's site and books, I immersed myself in Dr. Weil's books and the anti-inflammatory diet. I figured if I could get myself "healthy" my gut would take care of itself. He was also part of what inspired me to get my MS in Nutrition. But no matter how sound his principles (and what I learned in my studies) were, I finally came to the conclusion that for me personally, it just didn't work for my IBS.

It has taken me many years to accept this fact, and I still struggle with it sometimes. But I think Syl is right that Heather keeps the basic principles as far as emphasizing natural/organic/vegan foods and discouraging HFCS, trans fats and other "junk". Most of us just can't incorporate all the fruits, veggies and whole grains. It's a shame because they have so many benefits.

I'm still a huge fan of Dr. Weil because I admire how he marries western and natural medicine, and his recommendations make sense for the majority of people. There are just certain aspects of it that many of us, as IBS sufferers, cannot take advantage of.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#352437 - 11/19/09 07:34 AM
Syl

I cannot eat mushrooms either. Mushrooms contain about 1.5 grams of dietary fiber per 100 grams of which 60-70% is insoluble fiber. Mushrooms also contain beta-glucans in small amounts - about 0.2-0.4 grams/100 grams dry weight or much less fresh or wet weight depending on the variety - which act like soluble fiber. Some varieties such as Reishi, Shiitake, and Maitake mushrooms contain more. Check the NorthWestern University fiber chart here. Unfortunately, it doesn't give the beta-glucan content.

--------------------

#352448 - 11/19/09 01:12 PM
shawneric

The inflammation seen in some IBSers is a componet of the brain gut axis dysfuntion, even the immune system is connected to the brain as I was pointing out on the other thread, however there are dysfuntions in IBS that are not inflammation.

It can take an electron miscroscope to see some of it and some of it is embedded in the walls of the colon.

Here is a picture of two extremely important cells in IBS and how close they are to each other.

enterochromaffin cell or EC cell which stores and releases serotonin in the gut and the mast cell.

http://www.webpotential.com/falcon/uploadibspics3/images/gutreceptors.gif

MikeCA1870

Have you seen this?

In some people with IBS a subtle inflammation persists for some time after recovery from an initial infection and obvious inflammation. This can cause increased sensation in the intestines and changes in gut motility consistent with symptoms of IBS.

Video Corner: Inflammation

Inflammation
Does inflammation have a role in generating IBS symptoms? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/inflammation

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Video Corner: Serotonin

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

are you concern about your IBS diagnoses?

--------------------

#352449 - 11/19/09 01:16 PM
shawneric

By the way, inflammation cannot be a biological marker because it does not always cause pain.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
How Far Do You Go in the Workup?

But microscopic inflammation cannot be
a diagnostic marker for IBS because it does nor typically produce pain in those who have it. All patients
with active celiac disease have microscopic inflammation, but a large proportion do not have abdominal
pain, and patients with ulcerative colitis who also have microscopic inflammation when compared with
patients with IBS seem to have higher pain thresholds.24 In individuals with these disorders, there may be
central nervous system counter-regulatory measures responding to the peripheral pain/inflammatory
processes that increase pain thresholds.
With regard to IBS, the gut-related effects of microscopic inflammation may be only one component of a
dysfunctional brain-gut system. In addition, and often in response to stress, there may be a failure to
activate pain inhibition systems that lead to the perception of pain and produce other symptoms that typify
this disorder.25 In one prospective study of postinfectious IBS, it was found that those who retained their
symptoms 3 months after an enteric infection had not only increased inflammation in the intestinal lining,
but also had increased psychosocial distress at the time of the infection. Furthermore, lowered visceral
pain thresholds and increased motility were present after the infection regardless of whether or not the
patients retained their symptoms.26 Therefore, the microscopic inflammation and its physiologic effects on
motility and sensation contribute to, but are not always sufficient for, the clinical expression of IBS pain.

At least for postinfectious IBS, this provides some evidence that psychologic distress alters brain pain
regulatory pathways to amplify incoming visceral signals leading to the full clinical expression of this
syndrome.27,28

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/IBS_How_Far_do_you_go_in_the_workup.pdf

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3711 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6840

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review