All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Probiotics
      #351882 - 11/10/09 06:00 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I am switching probiotics. Align isn't doing a darn thing for me and it is expensive. Does anyone have a good suggestion? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics new
      #351884 - 11/10/09 06:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking Bifidobacterium are more effective for managing IBS that Lactobacillus. Many probiotics contain fructooligosaccharides and/or inulin. These added soluble fibers ferment quickly causing gas and bloating in many IBSers. Best to avoid probiotics with these additives. You might also look for a probiotic that contains between 100 million and 1 billion CFU (colony forming units).

There is a short section on probiotics in The Role of Food and Dietary Intervention in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome that you may find interesting.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351885 - 11/10/09 08:28 AM
Gerikat

Thanks Syl. Is the any probitic that has worked for you? I have been off Align for about a week now, and I feel no different. I can't see throwing that money away for something that is not working.

#351910 - 11/10/09 12:11 PM
Syl

I tried an Align equivalent (much cheaper) made by Nutren called Life Start. It contains the same probiotic as Align. At the time Align was not available in Canada. I took it for a few months and then stopped. I didn't notice much difference after I stopped. As I recall it Align is only effective for 30-40% of IBSers.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. However, the IBS research literature suggests that Bifidobacterium of which there are many species is more helpful than Lactobacillus bacteria.

Generally speaking I don't take any supplements. I have found they tend to cause more problems than they solve. I manage my IBS symptoms soley with diet, stress reduction and exercise.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#351913 - 11/10/09 12:27 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Syl, I would agree with you that it is more about personal dietary input than supplements. However, I do think live (refrigerated) probiotics are not a bad consideration while stabilizing one's gut.

Thank you for your dedicated input to this website.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351916 - 11/10/09 12:41 PM
Syl

Yes - everyone should try one of the probiotics that has been clinically tested on IBSers and see if works for them. It will work for some but not others.

I don't think it is necessary to use a refrigerated probiotic. The technology for making room temperature probiotics has come along way. Generally speaking these probiotics are as effective as refrigerated probiotics. A bigger problem is the additives such as FOS and inulin that are sometimes added to probiotics.

--------------------

#351927 - 11/10/09 02:02 PM
Gerikat

Well, I absolutely agree with you on this. Fiber supplements did not work for me. Align is pretty much useless. I have better luck with mainly watching my stress level and exercise. Those two things alone seem to help me more than anything. Diet is not that big of a factor for me.

I did try Digestive Advantage briefly and it did help with the bloating, alot, and it is much, much cheaper. But, I switched to Align after reading about it here.

What do you know about Digestive Advantage?

#351933 - 11/10/09 02:23 PM
Syl

I know of one small study that showed the probiotic in Digestive Advantage (Bacillus coagulans) showed some effectiveness for controlling bloating and gas. You can read more about it here - Bacillus coagulans Significantly Improved Abdominal Pain and Bloating in Patients with IBS.

I haven't tried it myself.

--------------------

#351935 - 11/10/09 02:32 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

probiotics

Video Corner: Gut Flora, Probiotics and Antibiotics

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

"Probiotics in the Treatment of IBS
A number of researchers have been looking at whether probiotics might improve symptoms of IBS. Probiotics are live micro-organisms found in foods and supplements that can have a beneficial effect.

A group of investigators conducted an independent comprehensive review of literature, published in English, reporting on randomized controlled trials that have looked at the effectiveness, safety, and tolerability of probiotics in the treatment of IBS. The review study selection criteria included randomized controls, adults diagnosed with IBS, single or combination probiotic compared to placebo, and improvement in IBS symptoms.

Of 16 randomized controlled trials that appeared to meet initial selection criteria, 11 studies were suboptimal in design (e.g., inadequate blinding, length, size). After carefully assessing the methods and designs of all the studies reviewed, only one probiotic (B. infantis 35624) showed repeated efficacy, with improvements noted in bloating, pain or discomfort, and bowel habit. However, the two studies performed with this probiotic were of short duration and longer studies are needed.

The remaining studies were limited by inadequate study design and reporting of the data. The low quality of most of the studies made it difficult to determine whether or not other probiotics may be of clinical benefit.

The review study concluded that B. infantis 35624, based on current evidence, appears to be an effective treatment for some people with IBS. Other probiotics may prove beneficial in the future, but well designed studies are needed first."

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/news-events/news/medical-news#pro-ibs

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#351936 - 11/10/09 02:38 PM
Gerikat

Syl, I can't find it on this website. Where is it?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review