All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotic side effect?
      #351873 - 11/09/09 08:48 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Stool tests revealed that my good bacteria is almost nil, and I have two un-friendly bacteria. I was told to take Ortho Biotic, which has 20 billion CFU of Lactobacillus, Bifobacterium and Lactobacillus. My tummy went bonkers...gas, bloating, gurgling, shooting pains. Is this to be expected?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotic side effect? new
      #351880 - 11/10/09 04:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It isn't unusual for probiotics to cause some gas and bloating for the first 1-2 weeks you take it.

It is not possible for you colon to contain nil good bacteria. The colon contains about 500 different bacteria. I don't know of any stool test that checks for all 500 bacteria. Did you GP or GI doc do the stool test? What are the names of the un-friendly bacteria that were detected?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351926 - 11/10/09 01:57 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I also posted this information under the "Water D" posting, because someone else was asking the same questions. My naturopath ordered the tests, they were done by Doctor's Data Lab. Of the good bacteria, I had zero lactobacillus and enterococcus. I was low on Bifidobacterim, and E. coli spp (the good kind). I had an imbalance of Bacillus spp. and Alpha Haemolytic strep. The parasite I have is Dientamoeba fragilis. I have a cat scan scheduled for Thursday morning to check out the hard thing that's developed in my lower ab (thank goodness I don't have an appendix, so it's not that!). I'm quite nervous about the test. Any advice? Thanks for your response.

#351931 - 11/10/09 02:20 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

Probiotics.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

Probiotics in the Treatment of IBS
A number of researchers have been looking at whether probiotics might improve symptoms of IBS. Probiotics are live micro-organisms found in foods and supplements that can have a beneficial effect.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/news-events/news/medical-news#pro-ibs

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1813

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review