All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Requesting advice please.
      #351690 - 11/05/09 04:35 PM
Mohammed

Reged: 10/25/09
Loc: London, England

Hi all. I have been having some problems with my stomach for the last couple of months. The doctor suggested I may have a mild form of IBS. So, I decided to follow the IBS cheat sheet, just in case- I cannot afford to take another week off work (my symptoms were like IBS-D).
Had a few queries:
1) Most fruits are on the insoluble fibre list. So, if I want to have e.g., oranges or grapes, I would need to eat them after a main meal. This is difficult if I want to have a fruit snack during afternoon breaks, or if I already had vegetables with a meal. In fact, my diet is lacking in fruit, and I am worried about low vitamin C intake.
2) I am also worried about not getting enough fat in my diet- can anyone recommend good fat sources. And how can I tell if I am getting my minimum amount?

I would really appreciate any advice.
Many thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Requesting advice please. new
      #351705 - 11/06/09 09:42 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Mohammed , what are your exact symptoms, just d or do you have pain or discomfort. What tests has your doctor done?

hopefully others will give you some advise on the diet aspects.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#351760 - 11/07/09 05:11 AM
Mohammed

It started on the 26th August 09, when I had diarrhea once. Since it was the fasting period (Ramadan), I was eating less and it came back very occasionally as semi-diarrhea. All I did was eat bland foods for for the remainder of Ramadan. After Ramadan, I was fine for a couple of weeks, eating everything except hot spicy foods. Around the beginning of October, I got D again (7 times in 24hrs), and took a whole week off work to recover from a semi-starvation diet. Doctor said it could be bug, but was unlikely (since it was a short period of time since the Ramadan problems). She thus suggested I may have mild IBS. So, I have been trying to follow the cheat sheet for the last month. I do not eat hot (as in chilli) foods or chocolate.

My symptoms: in the beginning of following cheat sheet, I used to get bloating after eating, especially after lunch.

The bloating is more or less gone now, but do get flatulence after lunch sometimes.

Strangely enough, I get no problems at all after breakfast, which consists of goat's milk with Rice Krispies cereal, white bread toast and tea.

So, some may say I do not have IBS, but I am being careful as I cannot afford another week off work, and besides, my diet is now relatively healthier compared to my previous normal diet.

Another thing; chocolate seems to cause me problems- when I was having problems during Ramadan, and I took even a little chocolate, gas immediately evolved in my stomach. So, have not had it since then. I could eat all the chocolate I wanted before these problems.

Apologise for the long post, and thank you and all for the attention.

#351769 - 11/07/09 10:02 AM
shawneric

Mohammed, do you get pain or discomfort?

So just bloating that has gone away and D as far as symptoms?

Have you been back to a doctor again?

--------------------

#351783 - 11/07/09 02:23 PM
Mohammed

Hi,
I do not get any pain. If I do get anything, it is gas, which normally happens after lunch. When this is released (either way), I feel fine. Such things did not occur before I had this bout of problems. I got blood tests done to rule out other serious diseases, and fortunately, they came back good.

#351784 - 11/07/09 04:11 PM
kwyles

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: South Australia

Have you had any other tests done, such as a colonoscopy, endoscopy or faecal occult blood test? These may be useful in ruling out other disorders such as coeliac disease.

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

#351798 - 11/08/09 07:24 AM
Mohammed

I have not had the tests you have mentioned- only blood tests. Apparently they are sufficient to rule out most diseases.

The doctor said it MAY be mild IBS. Thus, I am being cautious. Even if I don't have IBS, I think there is no harm in following the IBS diet- it has been in a lot of ways beneficial- my diet included much biscuits, caramel bites, doughnuts and chocolate. Except crackers and low fat biscuits, I don't eat such things now, and I eat veggies now. I also take my own food to work rather than buying sandwiches, which means I know what I am eating.

I have just had problems in planning- like when to eat citrus fruits if I have just had a meal including IF veggies, or if it is okay to have a small orange a few hours after lunch.

#351806 - 11/08/09 11:49 AM
shawneric

If you don't get any pain or discomfort, its not IBS, because that is part of the criteria. There is functional D and some other functional disorders, like functional bloating however.

No one can diagnose you here so its important to work with a doctor on it. Stool tests could be of some help and are simple. Celiac is one condition, if you have d as is SIBO.

It still maybe possible you have some kind of bug perhaps.

--------------------

#351807 - 11/08/09 11:52 AM
shawneric

sometimes a big switch in diet itself can cause issues, if for example you start eating a lot of fiber, when you weren't before.

ON the lunch, how soon after eating do you get the gas and D? 15 minutes or an hour for example?

--------------------

#351815 - 11/08/09 02:09 PM
Mohammed

After lunch, if I do get anything, it is only gas, but not D. Have not had D since that large episode over a month ago. On days I get gas, it is usually within the hour after lunch.

Few days back, I got some gas- for a minute, I thought I felt nauseous, but was then okay after releasing via throat.

Regarding the doctor, she seems unsure herself. Blood tests were good. I forgot to mention- I did have one stool sample done, but that was during the Ramadan problems (2 mnths ago). They found nothing. What I will do is see how it goes for some more weeks, then think about going to the doctor again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5565

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review