All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Traveling overseas
      #351582 - 11/03/09 03:32 PM
kwyles

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: South Australia

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm traveling overseas in about 10 days - from Australia, where I live, to India and Sri Lanka for 4 weeks. Unfortunately nobody in Australia currently stocks Heather's products, so it's highly unlikely that I'd be able to get any peppermint oil capsules to take with me, and my tin of Tummy Fibre will just be way too bulky to take backpacking.

Does anybody have any suggestions about things I can do to stay healthy in India and Sri Lanka? Anybody been to either country? Suggestions on safe foods to take with me as snacks? I have a big stock of fennel/peppermint/chamomile tea that I'll be taking with me, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling overseas new
      #351744 - 11/06/09 03:08 PM
kwyles

Has nobody with IBS traveled overseas? Surely someone can suggest something to help me along my journey...

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

#351745 - 11/06/09 03:24 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

When I lived in Canberra for a short while I bought a generic peppermint capsule from the chemist. I don't recall the name but here is an example of something that is available in Australia. You can probably find others brands in health food stores.

When I do international travel I only take foods that I know from my personal experience are safe. I don't add last minute suggestions that I have not tried at home for some period of time

Have fun!

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351746 - 11/06/09 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You are going backpacking in India? As long as you don't have to carry fuel for cooking, take advantage of as much water drank as tea as possible. Any time you are travelling drinking tea is so much better than cold water- and it boils it. Even when people travel around their own country different waters can bother them so boiling for tea as the main drink is best.
When I backpack I try to take special care not to get C from lack of fiber or water. The exercise is great and helps my bloating and cramps more than anything, but SFS is still needed. Try to take some SFS of some kind with you. Personally I could carry 10 days worth of acacia in my pack, so think about it.
Other than that, Indian and Sri Lankan will have lots of dairy and fat as you probably know. It will take caution. Bringing some sort of FF, SF foods to fall back on would be wise.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#351750 - 11/06/09 05:31 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good on you for such an ambitious trip. I hope to be well enough one day for India and Sri Lanka.

What you should pack with you kind of depends on what you tolerate in your everyday diet. I'd pack a fibre supplement, probiotic pills, digestive enzymes, sachets of instant oatmeal, Larabars. Actually, come to think of it, I can't even fathom doing this trip right now, I'd have to pack my entire kitchen and bathroom cabinet! Indian curries, forget it. I hope you are good with rice because you can always stick to that wherever you go.

I don't know about Sri Lanka but I know in India they serve fennel seeds to chew after meals - great for gas.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#351758 - 11/07/09 04:37 AM
kwyles

Thanks for those suggestions. Unfortunately, porridge (oatmeal) causes all kinds of nasty for me. I'm assuming I'll be living mostly on rice and veggies.

Also, I don't believe we have Larabars in Australia. Can you tell me what's in them so I can see if we have something similar?

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

#351759 - 11/07/09 05:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Larabars are available in Australia e.g.
http://www.aussiehealthproducts.com.au/larabar.php

http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=78

You may have to be careful with these bars since they are uncooked and unprocessed and contain a fair amount of insoluble fiber from raw fruits and nuts.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351761 - 11/07/09 05:19 AM
kwyles

Cheers, I'll check them out and see how they make me feel. They'd be really useful to have while traveling.

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

I always depend on white rice - nt - new
      #351792 - 11/07/09 09:18 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I always depend on white rice - nt - new
      #351794 - 11/08/09 04:05 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I personally would totally agree. I like white Jasmine rice. Cook a pot in the rice cooker and store it in the frig. You don't need a fancy rice cooker for this. You can find a basic one at K-Mart or Wal-Mart for $20 or less. Rice is easily re-warmed in the microwave and keeps for days in the frig! Particularly helpful for IBS-D.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review