All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Conquering gas!
      #35100 - 01/04/04 12:18 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Is it unreasonable to hope to be gas free at any point?
Just wondering whether anyone who has managed to get their IBS stable has also managed to become gas free - or almost gas free?

I had hoped that by stabilising the C&D and gut spasms, there would be a further consequence of no more gas, but am I dreaming of the impossible here?

I know Heather says she's been stable for years now, but does anyone know if she still gets gassy???!

btw, I don't think I've ever burped in my life (do you call it burping?!) It must all go down the other way with me. What's that all about???

Just wondering
Shellsbells

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Conquering gas! new
      #35108 - 01/04/04 02:28 PM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

After cutting out a number of foods, I can say that my gas problem has greatly decreased. Don't forget too that everyone has gas. You will never be gas FREE. I cut out sulfurous foods (onions, garlic, and eggs) and fructose, as well as other high-sugar foods, and am doing much better. Now, sometimes my fiance out farts me!

#35110 - 01/04/04 02:37 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

You are not alone!!!

It's soooo annoying to be pain free with my stomach only to be so gassy I don't even want to be around myself. Eww kinda gross I know. I have the hardest time controlling this problem when I am away from home at someone else's house for dinner. It's like I need to go lie down in their bathroom for a while or take a walk around the block to relieve myself but that's kinda hard to do when you aren't at home. I realized that I need to completely avoid a few foods (broccoli, cabbage and spinach is so bad for me) and I do much better. However I miss eating those veggies and if I do, I make sure I'm going to be at home away from other people later on! And then sometimes I just have to keep a bottle of Bath and Body Works scented spray handy!

#35116 - 01/04/04 03:06 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Yep, we call it burping! lol What do you call it? I agree with Debby, the spray could come in handy! I usually buy or bring my own food to my friend's house since her parents are always cooking up something like nachos with bean, meat, and cheese (a killer for us!). But I think you've been doing the right thing so far with only eating veggies when you're sure you're going home soon after. Hope all goes well!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#35136 - 01/04/04 05:19 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I have days at work that are positively horrifying-try to do a physical on someone and get a gas attack you can't control!! I hope they don't notice, but if it's bad I apologize and get the lysol out!! Most people are very understanding, especially knowing I have IBS. There are times I walk around work to get it out!! Passing gas is normal, except if you have IBS---I find fennel tea cuts down on the gassiness on bad days!!! Gas Free??? I don't thin it's possible?? Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#35178 - 01/04/04 10:35 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Shells, (Love your posts.)

I don't think one can ever conquer the gas problem, nor would it be completely healthy to do so, but I've proven to myself I can conquer the odious aspect of it. (It had gotten so bad, I'd rather had been around a skunk than myself.) I now try not to consume many gas producing vegetables and take 2 chlorophyll pills daily. They're cheap. That plus anywhere between 1-3 Beano tabs with a large meal. I don't think you can get Beano there…..to bad. At first I used activated charcoal and that helped, a lot, but you can't stay on it long as it inhibits vitamin absorption levels.

I know fennel tea helps with the bloats, but think it may help with the gas as well. Sure wish I liked the stuff better. I DO drink a lot of different herbal teas, not just peppermint and chamomile and ginger. I don't know, maybe they help as well.

Had to laugh at your question about Heather getting gassy. Guess only she can answer that!!

And as to you Toot, Toot, Tootsie….LOL…………………………you know a lot of guys think flatulence is the neatest thing, to be able to expel others right out of a room with the noise and smell…yuck…maybe it's my age, but I've NEVER found that funny or cute. Manners boys, please!!!

Kandee

--------------------

#35208 - 01/05/04 08:10 AM
Sarah P

Reged: 12/29/03
Loc: London UK

Hi Everyone

My gas is at times terrible although I have to say it tends to amuse me when I'm at home as I get to do smellier ones than my husband! However, about 2 years ago I got quite ill with something unrelated to this. My gas got sooooo bad - it was just a nightmare. I tried taking HCL (hydrochloric acid) capsules with my meals. You can buy them at health food stores. You need to find how many you need... take a few before your meal until you start feeling a warm sensation in your tummy, then you know you've taken enough. I found I needed about 3-4 with a main meal. SHouldn't take more than 6 though! I found that my gas decreased a lot and I continued to take the tablets for about 2 months. It really did make things better! Of course I still had wind but at least holding it in didn't cause terrible stomach pain as there wasn't so much of it!
Hope that helps some of you
I've also tried various other things like charcoal, peppermint etc and none of them did me much good!

Best Wishes

Sarah

#35334 - 01/05/04 11:46 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

lol - thanks for your replies everyone!

I've tried the fennel tea, and it does work fantastically, I'm not keen on the taste though and it smells awful, it stinks out my kitchen and desk drawer (I could always use the fennel smell as a cover for any little indiscretions of my own though - blame the fennel! lol!!) HCL is a good idea, might give that at try too.

As for beating the gas - I once totally cured my IBS AND gas by eating nothing (and I mean NOTHING!) but peeled, stewed fruit, potatoes, rice, fish, chicken and a little veg. Problem was, this was too restrictive for me and I couldn't sustain it. I was not eating enough and lost weight a bit too quickly. I suppose I had accidentally stumbled on a more restricted version of the IBS diet but at that time, I didn't quite understand how or why it had worked. I swear, I didn't break wind once for 3 weeks! lol

Thanks again to all of you
Shellsbells

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review