All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
frusterated can't stand ibs!
      #350866 - 10/17/09 08:07 AM
pipsqueak51

Reged: 09/27/09

I am so sick of ibs. Some days I will eat the same thing and it doesn't bother me. Then the next day i eat the same thing and it kills me big time. The doc gave me librax supposed to help with the spams and get ur mind off pain. It kinda works. I hate taking medicine if i don't have to. Lately right after I eat i get bloated big time and stomache just plain old hurts. Also I have been taking the acaria stuff every day and tummy tea. Does anyone have any ideas help! Sometimes it gets so bad I don't even know what to do. The bloating gets so bad one day the jeans fit then the next it don't so I have to have a few sizes around. Its frustrating !!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: frusterated can't stand ibs! new
      #350871 - 10/17/09 10:49 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I can definitely empathize. It sounds like you're going through the same thing I am right now. A lot of times I eat and then a while later, or even sometimes right away, I am bloated as hell. Even something "safe" like a banana or basmati rice or an English muffin can do it to me...

So far the thing that has helped me most is fennel. I don't drink the tea, I take pure fennel capsules. I order them from www.naturalhealthsupply.com. They're not a cure, but they do seem to keep the pain enough under the radar so I can LIVE.

#350888 - 10/17/09 08:58 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I am the same way. Eat=immediate bloat. My friends laugh at me when we go out, because I sneak and unzip my jeans.

I believe someone posted, that for some people all it takes is the process of eating itself to bloat, not necessarliy the food. I know many get immediate stoamch cramps, but I have never had cramps, I just blow up like a darn balloon.

#350914 - 10/18/09 06:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Remember you can't always feel the spasms that cause bloat but it is spasms that cause B, C and D. The act of eating triggers the brain to send signals to the gut to stop moving in a nice, normal pattern and start moving in a spasmy way. The uneven contractions cause the bloat- that is why much of the time the pain will be centered on a specific stretch of intestine. For me the pain can be very low and very sharp, high and light with huge bloating, in the middle in one spot and medium in pain, etc etc.

I also bloat after almost everything I eat, but not breakfast or AM. Sometimes it is obvious the bloating would be eased after a lunch or dinner BM. Other times the bloating is eased from just walking/exercising. I am a professional gardener Apr-Oct and my bloating goes away in the garden.
As Heather says, how you eat is as important as what you eat. When I was starving from gardening and came home and devoured two bowls of safe cereal I got bad bloat and pain but that same cereal in another situation causes no problems at all. Easing the gut through the day without issues is all we can try to do- being proactive and preventing the bloating helps a lot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350915 - 10/18/09 07:27 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Little Minnie... You are SOOO right! A lot depends on the amount of exercise we get and perhaps even the amount of sunshine hours exposed to. Beyond that, it also seemingly depends on what we have eaten the meal prior. All of this can be quite tricky as to what works and what doesn't. No wonder doctors are confused, as everyone's body is different. It really seems up to us (the patients) to learn by trial and error based on day-to-day symptoms, needs, and some careful planning ahead as to what is or might be needed, particularly if we should be met with a sudden and/or unexpected flare-up.

I'm one who also has has SAD (Seasonal Adjustment Disorder) and these shorter days of daylight and cold weather wreak havoc with my appetite and sleep schedule... I am one who thrives in sunshine, though takes additional vitamin D during the cold, wintry months. This seems to help at least some for the SAD symptoms.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#350916 - 10/18/09 07:34 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

When I say cramps I mean "cramps" as in painful cramps that you can FEEL, as many folks have. The kind that double you over. I do not experience that kind of painful cramps, nor have I ever, and I do not feel pain, as you say you do. The most I have ever felt is uncomfortable. I am very fortunate with my IBS, in that I live a very normal life, with occasional off days. My IBS is not pain predominate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1814

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review