All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Facial/Head Warmness After Eating?
      #350829 - 10/15/09 08:05 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

So my insurance company just told my doctor they would not pay for me to swallow the pill cam. I can afford it but I certainly don't want to.

I've been pretty convinced over the past few months that whatever I have (I don't like the term IBS but I'll run with it because that's the catch-all) is not particularly dangerous. I have controlled my D using trycyclics and an occasional half dose of immodium, and am even dealing with less pain as time goes on. Bowel function is still not normal but I've been able to lead a mostly normal life.

My doctor wanted the pill cam because he felt there was a chance, since I have lost a lot of weight, that I might have Chron's. He really scared me as he said were I to have it I wouldn't be able to get insurance coverage (I currently have coverage but I guess he meant if I ever lost this one). I asked him based on what has gone so far what he thinks the % chance is and he guessed 25%.

Blood tests and stool tests taken over time have all come back negative for anything unusual. I have explained my weight loss as just the embarrassment of D causing me to eat nothing or very little during the 8 hours of my job, and so significant reduction in calories, especially fat calories, (by choice) = weight loss. I used to be a candy freak eating chocolate, cookies, and confections by the handful and now I don't eat any of that stuff, so to me the weight loss seems natural. I was at 190lbs (I felt slightly overweight - I wore it well but had a small paunch) and I have stabilized over the past few months at about 150. During the first three months after diagnosis was where I lost most of it, and I also like 10x'd my cardiovascular exercise during that time too, which I'm sure contributed (before that I was a couch potato).

The one scary symptom I have that makes me wonder is what I listed as the title of this post. Sometimes after I eat, and occasionally at random, though much more prevalent in the evenings, I get what I term as hot flashes. Since I'm not a woman I don't know if what I feel matches the menopausal hot flashes of lore but I describe it as that because my ears turn beet read and hot, maybe my cheeks and forehead will develop a flush, and they will get hot. This lasts for a half hour to an hour and then is gone. It is not associated with pain or a headache or the sensation of lightheadedness such as when I've had the flu in the past.

Now, I haven't been clever or quick enough to take my temperature during this so I don't know if I'm actually sporting a fever, and it doesn't ever coincide with D. I've gone weeks without it happening, maybe a month or more, but this week it's happened twice, Tuesday, and this evening.

IBS is listed as not causing inflammation, and one potential cause of feverish symptoms is inflammation. However, my symptoms themselves just don't seem severe enough to be chron's, and while I haven't had a colonoscopy (shame on me I know but I am just deathly anxious of doing it because 1) I've worked so hard to fix my D I just can't see bringing it on myself on purpose, and 2) I go to pieces at the thought of being put out, or sedated, in any way where my mental faculties are not 100%. The idea of grogginess and memory loss is not a pleasant one for me.)

I have asked a similar question on this board before but my focus then and situation was different, so, that novel aside, my main question now is to those of you who most definitely don't have chron's or UC or anything more serious than "IBS": have you experienced similar symptoms, or do you know of other things that may be causing this weird reaction upon eating (most of the time) and in the evening primarily, afternoon sometimes, never morning/daytime. I have actually had a bit of C this week...well not really, but lets say slower movements than usual, could that cause it?

Male 29, symptoms for 9 months now, 99% adherence to Heather's diet (the 1% is accidents, not choice, like when something you think it cool has a trace amount of dairy or something.) Oh, and this never, at least not that I can remember, happened before I was diagnosed with IBS-like symptoms.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Facial/Head Warmness After Eating? new
      #350830 - 10/15/09 08:29 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Mike, Have you had your thyroid checked for hyperthyroidism? Your symptoms could relate to that. Loss of weight, flushing/hot, and D.

#350837 - 10/16/09 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

IBS is listed as not causing inflammation, and one potential cause of feverish symptoms is inflammation

There is growing evidence that inflammation may be involved in IBS. One hypothesis is that an infection can cause IBS symptoms by several mechanisms, including injuries to the enteric nervous system which may alter the function of enteroendocrine cells and T lymphocytes and induce a chronic state of inflammation and visceral sensitivity. There is evidence that postulates that previous transient or chronic inflammation can lead to development of persistent gut dysfunction. The prevalence of IBS symptoms in IBD patients in long-standing remission is two to three times higher than in the normal population. Approximately 15–30% of patients with IBS report onset of disease after an enteric infection. These observations implicate that IBS may be an inflammatory disorder. During the last years a low grade inflammatory process in various compartments of the small and the large bowel has been suggested to be associated with gut symptoms in IBS patients. Apart from gastroenteritis, different factors such as altered gut flora, increased permeability, genetic susceptibility and unrecognised food reactions have all been suggested as possible mediators of an inflammatory response in IBS patients.

Evidence now accumulates to suggest an association between IBS, in general, and immune activation. Colonic biopsies have demonstrated, in some cases, frank inflammation and, in others, more subtle evidence of immune activation. More recently, studies on cytokine levels in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and even in serum have revealed a pro-inflammatory state. It is interesting to note that constipation has also been associated with a partially reversible inflammatory activation of the colonic mucosa.

Probiotics such as VSL#3 and Align may play an anti-inflammatory role in the management of IBS. The probiotic cocktail, VSL#3 (composed of Streptococcus thermophilus and several species of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria) has been shown to promote secretion of the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10, and suppress the secretion of the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-12. A detailed evaluation of the various organisms that comprise this cocktail indicated that most of the immune modulating activity resided in bifidobacterial species. The suggestion that bifidobacteria may be especially potent as immuno-modulatory agents is consistent with the observation that a symptomatic response to bifidobacterium infantis 35624 (Align) in IBS was associated with a normalization of the ratio of IL-10 to IL-12 which was tilted towards a pro-inflammatory state. The finding that some IBS patients exhibit polymorphisms in the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 suggests that IBS subjects may be predisposed to an abnormal immune response to an infectious agent.

If you scan previous postings on the board you will find many people report fever like symptoms during an IBS attach.

I understand you anxiety about a colonoscopy. I am the same. However, my doctor suggest 2mg of Ativan under the tongue 10 minutes before the procedure. It worked like a dream. When it was time for my colonoscopy I did have a care in the world. It is really worth the piece of mind to have a colonoscopy.

References
Podovei, M., & Kuo, B. (2006). Irritable bowel syndrome: a practical review . Southern Medical Journal, 99(11), 1235

Ohman, L., & Simren, M. (2007). New insights into the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome . Digestive and Liver Disease, 39(3), 201-215

Quigley, E. M. M. (2007). Probiotics in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: An Immunomodulatory Strategy? J Am Coll Nutr, 26(6), 684S-690

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#350848 - 10/16/09 08:56 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I get hot flashes all over my body after eating sometimes... and never in the morning, just afternoon, or mostly evening. I believe it has something to do with the immune system, and I believe IBS and the immune system are strongly related.

I had a DNA energy test done which said my IBS was merely a symptom of a cyst on my thyroid and my immune system not being up to par because of the cyst. We're now working to shrink the cyst. Supposedly once the cyst is gone, my IBS will be too.

#350849 - 10/16/09 09:13 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

What is a DNA energy test?

#350850 - 10/16/09 09:16 AM
Syl

What is a DNA energy test? Is given by a GP? Or is it a test you purchase through a testing center or naturopathic partitioner?

Has you GP done a TSH or free T4 level tests?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#350851 - 10/16/09 10:39 AM
MikeCA1870

Syl, were you posting that question to me or to DanaDivine?

I have never tried any of the tests mentioned. The DNA one sounds really cool and futuristic!

Syl, you really speak my language and I always enjoy your posts. It strengthens my resolve that I do not have a variant of IBD, and unless my symptoms worsen, I'm basically done with tests for now - well, except for maybe allergen/long term allergen tests or the aforementioned DNA/thyroid ones. I can have blood drawn til the cows come home, that one doesn't bother me. I also take Align, and think it's crazy expensive, but am afraid to stop taking it in case it IS doing something beneficial. Would I benefit by taking the other probiotic you mentioned in addition to Align?

Gerikat (I feel my name is so boring compared to all the rest of you) - I have not had my thyroid checked but I know someone with thyroid problems and I will ask my Dr. about it.

DanaDivine & Syl - I completely agree that the immune system has a role to play. The question is, is the solution to hyperactivate the immune system or dull it. I have read a study (forget if it was on IBS or Chrons) that said the typical solution to slow down the immune system was actually worsening the problem and you need to make it stronger instead...wish I had a link.

#350852 - 10/16/09 12:56 PM
Syl

It might be best to try one probiotic at a time. VSL#3 is expensive too. However, you can find bifidobacterium infantis - the bacteria in Align - from other vendors. For example, Natren produces a product called Life Start. There are two varieties of the Natren probiotic one contains a small amount of skim milk and the other goats milk. Align as I recall has a small amount of a milk protein.

My question was for DanaDivine. I have never heard of a clinical test called a DNA energy test. It sounds like a marketing name for a test from a private lab. It isn't the sort of name the medical profession would tend to use.

--------------------

#350860 - 10/16/09 08:40 PM
Gerikat

I hope you do get your thyroid checked. At least rule that out. I know with hyperthyroidism (not hypothyroidism), you can have those symptoms.

Your name is fine!

#350870 - 10/17/09 10:44 AM
DanaDivine

Here is the explanation I found for DNA energy testing:

"Electronic Homeopathy is based on the principle that everything in nature, even substances that do not move, gives off energy as a vibration.
If a foreign substance enters the human body, its vibrations may have an irritating or destructive effect on the tissue next to it. This irritation may produce a variety of symptoms but instead of treating those symptoms, the effective cure is to remove the offender and strengthen all systems. And since the problem is the vibration, the most effective treatment is to correct the vibration.

We test this energy (your DNA) by testing your hair. We test all the systems of your body to determine what is performing at an increased rate (hyper-), what is performing at a slower rater (hypo-), and what is at a normal rate (normal). Based on the information, we can determine what kind of treatment would work best to remedy the malady.

Based on this knowledge, electronic homeopathy does not depend on the response of cells alone. It focuses on the invader itself. To do this, electronic homeopathy uses electronically induced vibrations to change the destructive character of the invader. It is able to do this because, like everything else in nature, the invader has its own inherent toxic vibration. And just like regular Homeopathy, in electronic homeopathy the electronic values used are infinitesimal. This enables the cells and tissues to respond naturally and normally without shock or irritation to the rest of the body, because it is being restored and rejuvenated at the cellullar level and the immune stystem has more strength to fight off the invaders.

Benefits:

Relieves stress and strain on the body
Enables the body to fight off invaders and toxins by natural elimination
Removes the invader and strengthens all systems

This can be likened to car batteries. One battery is the machine, the strong car battery. Your hair (DNA) is the jumper cables which connects the strong battery to the weak battery (your body). The strong battery is strengthening the weak battery to bring it up to full capacity while at the same time it is weakening the invader and getting rid of it all together."

#350893 - 10/18/09 08:58 AM
Syl

Electronic homeopathy, vegatest, radionics, electrodermal screening and a variety of other names are essentially the same device. Here is Dr. Stephen Barrett's article on these Quack "Electrodiagnostic" Devices

--------------------

For DanaDivine new
      #350896 - 10/18/09 09:55 AM
Gerikat

I don't know about the DNA energy testing, but I have had energy work, and I have first-hand experience that it does work...at least the form I had. I don't listen to clinical studies/trials; scientific papers, etc.. If it sounds like something I would like to try, I will, and then I can give others first-hand experience as to whether it worked for me or not, instead of just a bunch of reports from people who have no experience with it. I use myself as the guinea pig, so to speak.

I had severe achilles tendonitis in both ankles from years of running marathons, and abusing my body. I did not take care of the tendonitis and it turned into a chronic condition. I could not even walk in the morning when getting out of bed. I had to stop all exercise for awhile, and it just never got better. I exhausted Western medicine's rememdies. I went from doc to doc, from Orthopedics, Podiatry, Physical Therapy, etc., and I got no relief. I took Celebrex (even though I was only 25 years old), I had physical therapy, I had insoles molded for my feet (not over the counter, Dr Scholls), and nothing worked. One doc who was very, very good said he thought I had actually partially ruptured the left achilles, although he could not help me either. One podiatrist said she was going to cast both ankles. I have huge lumps on the back of both ankles. One doc said an ultrasound showed possibly calcium deposits (the lumps), but he wasn't even sure.

Well enough was enough. I cannot tell you the money I spent on these docs and no relief. I started to search out alternative therapies.

About that time a friend recommended an energy worker, that she saw who had helped her tremendously. Well, I was very skeptical, but I thought I would give her a try. I saw her for one year, and the healing was so subtle, that I didn't even realize it was happening. I was about ready to stop about 6 months into it, when I started to notice that I didn't notice my ankles anymore. I would get up in the morning, and then realize later in the day, that I didn't even feel pain. It was the strangest thing I had ever experienced. I saw her for one year, one time a month, at $30 a visit, and it was worth every penny. She also supplied me with the Bach Flower remedies to go along with the energy work.

What I came to realize also, was that there was an emotional/psychological component to my pain. She took me back to when the initial pain began, and it corresponded to a very difficult in my life.

I won't go into detail about the sessions, but I will say it was the most relaxing thing I had ever experienced.

If you knew the pain I was in daily, and then to find this, well it does not matter a hoot to me what anyone thinks about it. I know that it works!!

Today at 30, I run, I walk, I play without pain. The lumps are still there, but no pain whatsoever. I am amazed at the healing. Natural healing does take time, because there is no force involved. The body gradually heals itself without outside force from drugs, surgery, etc.

We are about ready to get started working on the IBS. To me, it's at least worth a shot.

#350947 - 10/19/09 04:05 PM
MikeCA1870

The allergy tests still seem valuable, but I thought there was a test that checked for intolerances, and that recommeneded foods to you in multiple categories based on that, stuff you should eat every day, stuff you should eat lightly, etc.

Actually hearing about the DNA test makes is seem (no offense at all Dana to you personally) a bit hokey. Curing digestive problems by monitoring and eliminating the bad vibrations that are coming out of the things we eat? I don't even get how that would work.

I have read numerous people swear acupuncture was the answer, and I know it wouldn't still be around if it didn't help some people, but for IBS it didn't do a damn thing for me. I was very sad about that not only because I didn't get better, but also because I really liked the acupuncturist and it was obvious she was REALLY trying, unlike my doctor, who sees me in under 10 min and then out.

It didn't help with the pain, it didn't help with motility, heck, it didn't even help with stress/anxiety (if anything you would expect that's where it would shine).

As a result, I am definitely gun-shy when it comes to homeopatic or eastern treatments. I gave it the ol college try, spent over $1000 all told, and got nowhere. I can't say they don't work, since they obviously do for many people. It just seems they don't work for me.

#350969 - 10/20/09 08:50 AM
DanaDivine

Actually the DNA test is checking for where your body isn't functioning properly, not the food you're eating. It's okay you think it's hokey... a lot of people do. It's new, misunderstood, and misrepresented.

#350975 - 10/20/09 10:20 AM
Syl

Allergy tests are valuable however, generally speaking food allergies don't play a small role in managing IBS. There are a variety of individual tests for intolerances but there isn't a standard panel of tests that you can have to detect them.

DNA testing is not only hokey some knowledgeable health professionals consider to be fraudulent. A variety of machines that are used in for this and similar tests have been around since the 1950s. They have been throughly tested. Everyone of them has been found to be based on fictitious science and misleading to the public. Some jurisdictions prosecute. It is a matter of buyer beware!

There have been quite a few clinical trials of acupuncture and IBS. No beneficial effects for IBS symptoms have been found. One of the recent trials tested true acupuncture and sham acupuncture on 250 IBS patients. The study did not find evidence to support the superiority of acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture in the treatment of IBS.

There is a whole industry out there that is making a good living off the ignorance of the general public about health and science. The IBS segment of the population seems to be particular vulnerable to sham tests and cures. Hopefully someday health professionals will have a better understand of the causes and cures and then maybe the size of this questionable industry will shrink considerably

--------------------

#350977 - 10/20/09 11:11 AM
Gerikat

Ditto Dana! Did you see my previous post to you regarding energy work I had done? Please read it if you have time, and please share what you think with me.

I like chatting with like-minded souls. This may not be the appropriate board,since this concerns diet. Maybe move your response to Fitness/Lifestyle board. Thanks!

Re: For DanaDivine new
      #350980 - 10/20/09 11:45 AM

Unregistered

hi,do you have a myspace? your display pic looks like you are about the same age as me? I'm 22 tommorow. love to add you and chat..my myspace url is myspace.com/maria_mnice just don't post comments on my profile page about ibs,just email them because my parents and my boyfriend are the only ones I want to know about it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7260

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review