All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Food Allergies
      #350825 - 10/15/09 05:30 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Has anyone done an ELimination Diet or something called the Cleanse...ie eliminate gluten, coffee, sugar, tomatoes, bananas, etc........i wonder if im allergic to certain foods .......my doctor said anything that you eat a lot of can be a potential culprit.......Has anyone found almonds/walnuts as culprits? Or even peanut butter? These elimination diets allow almonds and walnuts....but i wonder if they can be a culprit for me.....along with other stuff..Sometimes i wonder if the WORRY about what is a culprit vs what isnt causes the stress that enhances the IBS>

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Allergies new
      #350826 - 10/15/09 06:02 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Yes, I wonder how much worrying about food actually causes symptoms for me too.

If you want information about foods you are sensitive to, you should get a food allergy blood test done. I paid $355 to be tested for 155 foods (and of course my health insurance won't cover it). The company that does the allergy test then provides directions for a rotating elimination diet based on the results. I am waiting for my results, but believe food sensitivities could be a contributing factor for my IBS symptoms.

#350834 - 10/15/09 09:49 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Hello Jennifer. I know there is a waiting period but I am anxiously waiting for your results of the food allergy test!!!

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#350836 - 10/15/09 11:56 PM
frygurl

I'll be happy to share my results when they come in. Should be another week or so (I hope).

Unexpected food allergy test results new
      #350854 - 10/16/09 03:00 PM
frygurl

Okay, so this is unbelievable. My ND called this morning and said the lab that is processing my food intolerance test tried three separate times to test my blood, and every time every single food came back reactive! They said this happens very rarely and aren't sure why. Usually the culprit is a medication I've been taking, except, I haven't been taking any medications, just herbal supplements. My ND told them the supplements and they said those couldn't cause this, so there really in no explanation. The lab said I should try again in 3 months.

I'm sort of tripping over this - what does it mean? Is my body truly reacting to everything I eat? Did my blood sample get contaminated somehow? Is it lab error? It's like my body doesn't want me to figure out what's wrong with it!

Thankfully, my doctor stepped up and decided to try some other things in the meantime to get my health under control. I love her so far! She now believes my chronic heartburn problems are caused by low stomach acid. I am going to try 1 tsp lemon juice before I eat each meal. And we are going to do some things to help with my anxiety as well.

#350859 - 10/16/09 07:18 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I've had several RAST blood tests done and each showed primary sensitivity to peanuts, wheat, eggs, shellfish - these are all common allergens. But, also to soy???
The other diet sounds like the Candida Diet - you basically eat no grains - including oats & rice, no fruit - only some citrus, no sugar, no dairy... nuts are allowed (if you aren't allergic)...primarily veggies and lots of protein. One premise that all grains have fungus due to them being harvested and stored in silos where they become damp and a fungus develops. It is a helpful diet for many, but my liver can't handle all the protein. And, can't do nuts because of diverticulosis.
Also, tomatoes and other nighshade-family veggies are often eliminated from diets of people with kidney/bladder problems. They seems to be major triggers.
HTH - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Unexpected food allergy test results new
      #350862 - 10/16/09 09:21 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

so sorry to hear this Jennifer. Obviously not the result you were expecting or hoping for. Very strange. You do seem to be keeping your cool about it so good for you. If you do try again in 3 months will you have to pay again?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#350864 - 10/16/09 10:48 PM
frygurl

Definitely not the result I was hoping for. I guess I keep hoping something is suddenly going to reveal itself as the explanation for my symptoms, but I know that's not realistic.

The company said they will not charge me for the test since I didn't get a useful result. They've already cashed my check, so it remains to be seen if they will actually refund my money. Naturally, if I decide to retest, I will pay them again. I did have to pay a lab to draw my blood for the kit, so I can't get that money refunded, and if I retest will have to pay for another blood draw.

#350913 - 10/18/09 03:48 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

sorry jennifer.....have you tried elimination diet...where major culprits like wheat, sugar, caffeine, etc are eliminated for 2 or 3 weeks...see how you feel and then one by one add back in to see if you have a reaction? anxiety im sure also aggravates IBS for sure....if not the culprit......i have panic disorder so i know that...

#350932 - 10/19/09 10:37 AM
frygurl

I haven't tried an elimination diet like the one you mentioned below. I've been on the EFI diet - unfortunately I don't see that much of an improvement in my symptoms. If I deviate from a small group of foods I eat, I pay for it later. Could you provide a link to information about the elimination diet you mention?

Elimination diet new
      #350936 - 10/19/09 12:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

An elimination diet is probably the only effective way to determine if a food is a problem. Food allergy tests are usually ineffective for determining offending foods primarily because they rely on an allergy being present. Foods can cause problems for IBSers for a variety of reasons other than allergies. For example, coffee, tea and alcohol can be an IBS trigger because they are GI stimilants even though you do not show an allergy to them.

Here are some links to descriptions of how to follow an elimination diet.

http://www.fammed.wisc.edu/files/webfm-uploads/documents/outreach/im/handout_elimination_diet_patient.pdf

http://jdc.jefferson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=jmbcim_protocols

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Who's tried the elimination diet? new
      #350937 - 10/19/09 12:29 PM
frygurl

Syl, thanks for this info. It's very comprehensive. Do you know why food allergy tests aren't effective for IBSers?

Who on the board has tried this type of diet? Did it help you figure out your problem foods? I wonder if my IBS symptoms will show up anyway because food isn't the only trigger.

I am concerned because in addition to eliminating everything on that list, I have to steer clear of most fruits, veggies, and beans. So basically for two plus weeks I would eat rice or potatoes with chicken, turkey, or fish, with peas, carrots, or green beans. That's actually pretty close to how I am eating now except I also eat oatmeal, bread, and food with sugar in it. Plus, they say to also not use supplements while on the diet, and I've only been on my supplements for a few weeks. I think I am finally getting results especially with the ones that treat heartburn and thyroid. I suppose I need to consult with my ND about this type of diet, but it would be helpful to know how much success people have had in terms if finding offending foods and feeling better.

Re: Who's tried the elimination diet? new
      #350938 - 10/19/09 01:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Food allergy tests require an allergy response to be present in order to be detected. Many IBS triggers don't have an allergic response. For example, problems with artificial sweeteners, caffeine and alcohol are not detectable using food allergy testing. They are GI irritants and their effects on you can only be determined by eliminating them from your diet.

I have had food allergy tests. Nothing unusual showed up. However, before finding this website, by following an elimination diet for a considerable amount of time I was able to identify a number offending foods. It is a slow and tedious process that you have adhere to strictly if you wish to get meaningful results.

Diet is only a management tool for minimizing IBS symptoms. You are right sometimes stress, disease and natural body rhythms override dietary controls and symptoms flare up. It is all so complicated

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Who's tried the elimination diet? new
      #350941 - 10/19/09 03:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Most of our problems are intolerances not allergies. Some homeopaths and the like try to push the allergy tests and don't understand we have a disorder not allergies.
IMO there are three ways to test food problems
1. eat/drink a whole bunch on an empty stomach- for fructose you can drink 3 glasses of tomato juice, for lactose you can drink 3 glasses of milk- however this just gets you quite messed up and isn't advised
2. eliminate one thing from your diet only at one time, keep the rest pretty normal
3. eliminate many things from the diet and when you feel better (if) then add one back at a time

I have done 2 and 3 many times. One time I eliminated almost everything, including sugar and soy, and felt awesome for 2 weeks. I was working on adding things back one at a time when I ate greasy food and got really sick. I haven't eliminated all those things again at one time. I have done 3-4 gluten eliminations.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2739 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review