All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
identifying a trigger food
      #350812 - 10/15/09 09:53 AM
hopeful40

Reged: 10/14/09

Hi everyone,
I am a new member - very happy to have found Heather's website. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was an early teen 2 plus decades ago and I've always just lived with it. Its gotten worse in last 2 months (daily D but only once or twice), lots of discomfort (I don't feel good, and get cranky faster with my kids, work, chores, etc). I've been following the high soluble diet since Saturday (6 days) with great results. Until, yesterday when I just had to have a cup of coffee. I had a coffee with soy milk at 12:30 with a few crackers. I felt a few rumblings but nothing else. I did have a normal BM right after. Then 2.5 hours later I had rice porridge with edamame. I felt like I ate a little too much. I immediately had a big D and I've been in pain throughout my intenstines (upper back, stomach) since. My question is - was it the edamame (which has both kinds of fiber), that I ate a little too much (but not like I stuffed myself), or the coffee I had a few hours previous?

Related question - is a trigger food something you ate right before a D or might it be something you ate the day before?

Any ideas? Obviously I'm staying away from both coffee and edamame (major bummer) for a while. Does edamame have to be pureed to be safe?

Thanks so much,
Rachel

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: identifying a trigger food new
      #350815 - 10/15/09 11:20 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I am primarily IBS-C, but food I eat rarely bothers me until much later, unless it's high fat (that's a big trigger for me). For instance, yesterday, I ate vegetable soup for lunch and felt fine until after dinner, then I felt horribly full even though I ate very little for dinner and I was extremely gassy and miserable the entire evening. This is my way of saying that my guess for your episode yesterday was the coffee. Coffee gives me D every time and lots and lots of pain too. It is considered a major trigger for anyone with IBS so you're best of staying away from it completely.

Regarding the edamame, any insoluble fiber becomes more tolerable if it is cooked and pureed. I also always take beano with beans to help prevent gas.

#350817 - 10/15/09 01:02 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

The answer is yes and yes.
Triggers can be from today or yesterday.
Some stuff hits my stomach and I know within minutes I need to find a bathroom.
Those are what I call my known triggers.Everytime I eat them,I get hit.
Others are hit or miss for me.Could've been th esauce..could've been this or that.
My unknowns.
Coffee I would have to say is a nono.Try tea instead.
For me rice and soy are sometime triggers.I can eat them sometimes but other times think they are the culprit so...
No easy answer for you but you really need to be careful and avoid your known triggers.

Good luck.
Christina

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350865 - 10/17/09 06:35 AM
hopeful40

Reged: 10/14/09

Thanks so much for the answers (as frustrating as the reality is). I have always just lived with my IBS-D - done nothing for it. I had a very veggie (lots raw and lots cooked) and high whole grain and dairy filled diet - especially the last two months. The IBS-diet is hard - I miss my salads and raw veggies and dip, and my LF cottage cheese. But I'm hopeful that once I get a bit more stable and get comfortable with this, I'll try to bring more veggies back in. I did make Heather's creamy linguini and spinach recipe last night - ate small amount and so far so good.
Thanks again,

#350872 - 10/17/09 10:54 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Beano gives me horrible gas, funnily enough... I think it's because it has mannitol in it. Beware mannitol and sorbitol, artificial sweeteners that are sneaked in to things you wouldn't think they'd be in... they're proven gas-causers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review