All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax
      #350799 - 10/14/09 04:31 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

A new gi doc started here in my own little town I live in which my other doc was 45 minutes away. So I went to get a second opinion with this new one and he actually has ibs-d also. He sat down and answered all my questions along with switching my librium with librax and also keeping me on lomotil. Has anyone taken Librax and if so how did it work for you? I am ibs-d with anxiety so I am hoping Librax works good for me. I will be starting it tomorrow. I take 1 every eight hrs. He said it was ok to take with my lomotil.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax new
      #350804 - 10/14/09 07:16 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i have ibs-d too..i was wondering why you will be taking these two medicines..what does each one do exactly? i was told by my GI dr today that i need to just take metamusil and have a bm daily so I wouldn't be having D. I understand now why people on this board have told such stories about their dr's not understanding...he was very doubtful about the acacia fiber and peppermint caps i am taking..he said those things are not necessary..right!! whatever!!

#350806 - 10/14/09 09:12 PM
mrae

The lomotil slows down my gut reaction I guess you could say. So instead of having urgent bowel movements it makes things slow down alot. The librax I am still researching cause I have never taken it but the doc says it stops spasms and helps with anxiety. The only other thing that ever worked for me was immodium but lomotil works alot better for me.

#350828 - 10/15/09 06:25 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

I will ask about the lotomil that sounds like what I need. Does it make you constipated on the next day that you take it or do you take it daily? I have urgency and need something. I've had bentyl in the past, it sounds alittle like the librax. Maybe it's better?? I might ask about that as well.

#350835 - 10/15/09 10:12 PM
mrae

My biggest issue is urgency also and I take 2 lomotils in the morning after a bowel movement, so no it doesn't make me constipated but once I take them I usually don't have another bowel movement until the next morning. Librax I will have to see how that works since I just started it today. I would ask about the lomotil though it has been great and usually kicks in within 10 minutes or so. Let me know if you get it and how it works for you.

#350950 - 10/19/09 05:00 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Mrae, do you also take fiber and peppermint tabs? If yes, what type of fiber and how much? Do you take any calcium?

#350952 - 10/19/09 05:19 PM
mrae

I've tried the calcium but it doesn't seem to help but I still try to take it cause I don't eat dairy. I have tried Acacia,Citricul and now am trying Konsyl fiber, so far that doesnt really seem to help either. I have noticed the librax gives me bad headaches so if they don't go away soon I will switch back to my Librium. I had no side effects with that. I feel I have tried alot of the common non med approaches but nothing worked very well. I have never tried the pep caps though.

#350966 - 10/20/09 06:51 AM
Sillygirl

Reged: 10/18/09
Loc: New York

I take Librax also, it does help, as long as you take it the 30 minutes before you eat. My GI dr is great, he said that for me to just take it as I need. Even if your dr prescribes it for 3 times a day, see how you feel first taking it 2x, then if you need one more, go up to the 3rd one.

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/Sillygirl new
      #350984 - 10/20/09 01:39 PM
mrae

Did you get any side effects with first taking it? I take one in the morning along with two lomotils. I have noticed it gives me headaches. My doc said I could go back to Librium if the Librax doesn't help but I want to give it a fair chance. How long have you been taking it for and exactly why was it prescribed to you?

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/Sillygirl new
      #351030 - 10/21/09 04:26 PM
Sillygirl

Reged: 10/18/09
Loc: New York

Yeah, I had headaches that lasted for a few weeks, but then they subsided. I have been taking it for 3 years, and it was prescribed because my IBS-d was not responding to just the lomotil. I have no problems taking this medication. I take it in the morning 1 hour before I eat because I also take my thyroid medication, and then in the afternoon 1/2 hour before lunch. This is all I need now, I only needed the 3x per day for about 6 months, then I could drop to 2x per day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11303

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review