All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax
      #350799 - 10/14/09 04:31 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

A new gi doc started here in my own little town I live in which my other doc was 45 minutes away. So I went to get a second opinion with this new one and he actually has ibs-d also. He sat down and answered all my questions along with switching my librium with librax and also keeping me on lomotil. Has anyone taken Librax and if so how did it work for you? I am ibs-d with anxiety so I am hoping Librax works good for me. I will be starting it tomorrow. I take 1 every eight hrs. He said it was ok to take with my lomotil.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax new
      #350804 - 10/14/09 07:16 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i have ibs-d too..i was wondering why you will be taking these two medicines..what does each one do exactly? i was told by my GI dr today that i need to just take metamusil and have a bm daily so I wouldn't be having D. I understand now why people on this board have told such stories about their dr's not understanding...he was very doubtful about the acacia fiber and peppermint caps i am taking..he said those things are not necessary..right!! whatever!!

#350806 - 10/14/09 09:12 PM
mrae

The lomotil slows down my gut reaction I guess you could say. So instead of having urgent bowel movements it makes things slow down alot. The librax I am still researching cause I have never taken it but the doc says it stops spasms and helps with anxiety. The only other thing that ever worked for me was immodium but lomotil works alot better for me.

#350828 - 10/15/09 06:25 PM
skh

I will ask about the lotomil that sounds like what I need. Does it make you constipated on the next day that you take it or do you take it daily? I have urgency and need something. I've had bentyl in the past, it sounds alittle like the librax. Maybe it's better?? I might ask about that as well.

#350835 - 10/15/09 10:12 PM
mrae

My biggest issue is urgency also and I take 2 lomotils in the morning after a bowel movement, so no it doesn't make me constipated but once I take them I usually don't have another bowel movement until the next morning. Librax I will have to see how that works since I just started it today. I would ask about the lomotil though it has been great and usually kicks in within 10 minutes or so. Let me know if you get it and how it works for you.

#350950 - 10/19/09 05:00 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Mrae, do you also take fiber and peppermint tabs? If yes, what type of fiber and how much? Do you take any calcium?

#350952 - 10/19/09 05:19 PM
mrae

I've tried the calcium but it doesn't seem to help but I still try to take it cause I don't eat dairy. I have tried Acacia,Citricul and now am trying Konsyl fiber, so far that doesnt really seem to help either. I have noticed the librax gives me bad headaches so if they don't go away soon I will switch back to my Librium. I had no side effects with that. I feel I have tried alot of the common non med approaches but nothing worked very well. I have never tried the pep caps though.

#350966 - 10/20/09 06:51 AM
Sillygirl

Reged: 10/18/09
Loc: New York

I take Librax also, it does help, as long as you take it the 30 minutes before you eat. My GI dr is great, he said that for me to just take it as I need. Even if your dr prescribes it for 3 times a day, see how you feel first taking it 2x, then if you need one more, go up to the 3rd one.

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/Sillygirl new
      #350984 - 10/20/09 01:39 PM
mrae

Did you get any side effects with first taking it? I take one in the morning along with two lomotils. I have noticed it gives me headaches. My doc said I could go back to Librium if the Librax doesn't help but I want to give it a fair chance. How long have you been taking it for and exactly why was it prescribed to you?

#351030 - 10/21/09 04:26 PM
Sillygirl

Yeah, I had headaches that lasted for a few weeks, but then they subsided. I have been taking it for 3 years, and it was prescribed because my IBS-d was not responding to just the lomotil. I have no problems taking this medication. I take it in the morning 1 hour before I eat because I also take my thyroid medication, and then in the afternoon 1/2 hour before lunch. This is all I need now, I only needed the 3x per day for about 6 months, then I could drop to 2x per day.

#351032 - 10/21/09 05:17 PM
mrae

So you were taking it with Lomotil? Do you still take the lomotil or just the Librax? I am suppose to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Have you ever taken Librium? That is what the doc switched me from and said hopefully I could get off the lomotil eventually and just use the Librax but is Librax used for anxiety or just antispasms and anti-diarrheal? The librium was for my anxiety and lomotil for the urgency. I will have to give the Librax a chance before switching back though.

#351044 - 10/21/09 09:06 PM
skh

my dr prescribed librax for me today. I was told it helps with anxiety and tension and also an anti-spasmotic. I am hoping it will help with the urgency but I am not sure it is for that? I thought it slows the gut down but I need to call and ask again b/c it's so confusing. I took one pill today and it made me soooo sleepy I sorta had a headache too but it went away. Do you take it in the morning on an empty stomach? I'm scared to do that I get so nauseas from meds on an empty stomach. It just says take 4 times a day. I hope it stops the urgency!!! I am so tired of this!

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/Skh new
      #351061 - 10/22/09 09:37 AM
mrae

I take it first thing in the morning about 45minutes before I eat. Today I took one Librax and one lomotil and so far so good. Although I have a slight headache but hopefully in time that will go away. Also I am switching from Librium to Librax so I am trying to switch slowly instead of all of a sudden. Have you tried Lomotil? That has helped so much for my urgency issues. Let me know what the doc says when you call. The librium I was taking was for the anxiety thats why I wasn't sure if the Librax did the same thing, like you it is so confusing to me at times.

#351079 - 10/22/09 04:02 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

SKH have you tried Caltrate 600 Plus with Vitamin D and Minerals in the purple and white box? They sell generic too. I have and it's made a big difference in the urgency. I take immodium when doing something important and have to "be sure", but the Caltrate has made a difference for all the rest of the days. I take in morning and before bed. Adjust as needed.

#351092 - 10/22/09 06:57 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Ditto on this one. I am A, but when having D, Caltrate can sometimes work just as well as the Immodium. I only take 1 hit a day, but when D, I also take 2. Works really well.

#351093 - 10/22/09 07:31 PM
Sillygirl

I was taking it with the lomotil, but my dr took me off that. I just take the Librax (generic version) which does help, sometimes I do have problems while at work, but they pass very quickly. I use the Librax for antispasms, not antidiarrhea, I use Pepto for that. You have to give it some time to work, I have no choice in the morning but to take it on an empty stomach. My thyroid medicine has to be taken an hour before I eat, so I take all my morning pills at the same time and I have yet to have any problems in the morning by doing this. Try taking your meds with a glass of milk, water is the worst when you are nauseous.

#351095 - 10/22/09 07:42 PM
mrae

Why did your doctor take you off of lomotil if you still have to use pepto? Today I took one librax and only had to take one lomotil,usually I take two lomotils so that is better. I called my doc today to tell him about the headaches and stuff to see if he wanted me to continue or return to the Librium so we will see. I still have another week or two before I will fully know how it works.

#351097 - 10/22/09 07:50 PM
Sillygirl

I only use the Pepto when absolutely necessary, so there was no reason for me to continue on the lomotil. I do pretty well when I follow what I am supposed to eat, but once in a while I do have to take the Pepto. When I am home, I eat a lot of bread and only take the pepto if it starts to really aggravate me.

#351098 - 10/22/09 07:54 PM
mrae

Thats my only problem is I dont have good days and bad days every day is an issue for me unless I take the lomotil. I watch what I eat and yes it does help but it still doesn't stop the urgent need to use the restroom it just makes it not diarrhea. I hear about people having episodes or a few days a month that was bad and I wish I could say the same but unfortunately I can't. I am glad you were able to stop the lomotil and the Librax is working for you.

#351101 - 10/23/09 06:17 AM
vjcblueyes

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

I have IBS-A and diverticulosis and my GI doctor put me on Librax also, and so far it has really helped...I do still take the acacia powder and other fiber supplements...my only concern with Librax is the fact that it can be habit forming.

#351115 - 10/23/09 01:47 PM
mrae

What issues has it helped for you? I have ibs-d and divirticulosis and my doc just switched me back to Librium because the Librax was giving me headaches and stomach aches. It did seem to work good for my urgency issues but I take lomotil for that which works just as good for me. But I was just wondering if you are ibs-a did he put u on it for the d issues when you have them?

#351117 - 10/23/09 07:56 PM
Sillygirl

I have ibs-d also, my dr gave me Librax for the antispasms, and it helps me, but sometimes I don't have to take it every day if I don't need it.

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax - KatheC new
      #351118 - 10/23/09 08:41 PM
skh

KatheC - No I have not tried the caltrate. I do take calcium but I will go get that and see if it makes a difference. I've been on the Librax 2 days now and the headaches have stopped. I did seem to cramp alittle today and still had urgency after but it was not D. I wasn't sure if this was from the Librax. I am also taking acacia fiber once a day usually with oatmeal or tea around 9 when I am at work. (I don't get up early enough to eat at home) thanks for the info!

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax - mrae new
      #351119 - 10/23/09 08:49 PM
skh

Are you always ibs D ? I have urgency issues alot but i seem to be changing to ibs-A. But the urgency still comes often or if I'm not having urgency i'll be very gassy. I am going to get the caltrate D and see if it helps. I was hoping the librax would stop the spasms which would stop the urgency but I guess it doesn't work that way...

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/vjcblueyes new
      #351123 - 10/23/09 09:19 PM
skh

can i ask why you take acacia fiber and also other types of fiber supplements? Do you alternate them? In what way has the librax helped you? thanks...

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax - mrae new
      #351147 - 10/24/09 04:00 PM
mrae

Yes I am always ibs-d, I have never been constipated. I have tried the calcium but it never helped enough to where I didnt have to take medication. All I can say is without lomotil I would not be able to live a normal live. My doc but me back on Librium and off the Librax and now I have no more headaches or stomach aches.

Re: Seen new Doc and he gave me Librax/vjcblueyes new
      #351298 - 10/28/09 03:12 PM
vjcblueyes

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

There are times I have D and times I have C.....but mostly pain every day....so I take the supplements to keep my BM's more normal (if there is such a thing)The librax has helped some with the D and mostly the pain, at least I can tolerate the pain a little better but I think mostly with anxiety....

#351456 - 11/01/09 05:29 PM
mrae

I called my doc and he said I could switch back to Librium but I think I am going to gradually get myself off of Librium so I can give Librax a fair try. I think my symptoms were from a sudden stop in the Librium and maybe not the Librax at all. Anyone have bad symptoms when they stop their anxiety meds. I guess you have to gradually stop them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11302

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review