All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Imodium - Daily - Should I? to have lower stress and better days?
      #350532 - 10/02/09 05:38 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Who out there is taking Imodium or Lomotil everyday, no matter what? If yes, how many per day? Do you find it makes your IBS anxiety and problems easier to deal with? I've watched every bite of food going in my system over the last three weeks and I'm still having problems. I've been on an elimination diet excluding: Gluten, Dairy, Sweets, Beef, Pork, Nuts, Soy, Corn, Oranges, Wheat, Caffeine, Eggs, and Chocolate. I started calcium for urgency issues and it seems to be helping, but not fully. I'm always worried about going out in public and having an attack. Because it always happens when I'm out in public. I'm leaning towards starting the Imodium as a daily ritual. Had stool test done, and I'm low in the Lactobacillus bacteria, so taking a new Probiotic to get this added to my system.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Kathy... new
      #350581 - 10/04/09 02:17 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

before I became "stable" I took imodium when I got up, and before any meals. Now that I consider myself stable whenever I feel a "rumbling" going on I take some imodium as preventive maintenance. I still carry imodium around with me and will take a few whenever I feel the need coming on. I'd rather take some imodium then have a terrible day.

But the best success I have had is eating food that my body can deal with. And some days that might be just white rice and some chicken.

Helps this helps you some...

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Imodium - Daily - Should I? to have lower stress and better days? new
      #350590 - 10/04/09 06:36 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I take 2 lomotil in the morning and i can go out and about the rest of the day without worry. I still have bowel movements the next morning so it doesn't back me up at all. I use to take the immodium but it took 2hrs to kick in. The lomotil takes about 10 minutes. You should try it if you have alot of urgency it might work great for you to.

Re: Kathy... new
      #350630 - 10/06/09 09:32 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I also use Immodium even when I don't necessarily feel I need to when I have a big day or will be doing something different from my daily schedule. The peace of mind is priceless, and I haven't noticed any harmful side effects. A bit of C perhaps, and some weird feelings in the gut.

However, I always only take 1 pill, or 1/2 of a recommended serving.

All this being said, I would of course prefer being a normal person and not having to resort to all this.

#350634 - 10/06/09 10:38 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Kathy I use it on occasion and it IS peace of mind. It is the only medication I will use for my IBS. I only need about 1/2 tablet and I am good to go. It does kick up the C, but better that, than D. :

#350644 - 10/07/09 07:29 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I have always felt that you do what you need to do to live a "normal" life. I used to carry Imodium around with me and took it on a daily basis or a lomotil if I was going out and absolutely did not want an attack. I take .5 mg of Lotronex now daily so I don't use the other anymore. I only decided to try this because I was going on vacation and was having an unusually number of bad days. Never could schedule an appointment in the morning or get out of the house early due to many bathroom trips. This has normalized me.
Sandy

#350645 - 10/07/09 08:28 AM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Thanks everyone for your replies. My quality of "public" life has gone down since the IBS urgency kicked in a little over a two years ago. There is nothing worse than going out in public when cramps kick in, then urgency, then the nerves jump in while trying to find a restroom. I didn't want to resort to imodium daily, but seems like whenever I go out in public the IBS hits. I'm going to start taking each morning and see how it goes. Calcium is helping with urgency, but even still want more assurance. IBS sufferers endure so much, I wish there was a cure to make it all go away.

#350787 - 10/14/09 09:42 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Before I had my colostomy surgery I took loperamide (equivalent to Imodium) daily. If you have pretty much constant problems with D that's ok. The important thing here is not to take so much that your bowels almost stop moving. There's no way of telling you how much you can tolerate or how much you need. This is something you have to try out for yourself.

When you've tried diet and stress reduction and things like that there is certainly no harm in your taking Imodium daily if that helps you. Though you should of course discuss it with your doctor. Getting a prescription is also in general cheaper than buying it over the counter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review