All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamin D
      #350470 - 09/30/09 05:29 PM
longhorn76

Reged: 09/27/08

There is some talk that Vitamin D may help reduce the risk of getting the dreaded swine flu. Is Vitamin D safe for IBS sufferers?? I am primarily IBS-C. Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamin D new
      #350471 - 09/30/09 05:41 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I take 400 iu of vitamin D along with whatever amount is in with my calcium. You can take up to 2000 iu per day. I am "A" and the vitamin D doesn't bother me. Make sure yours is a natural source, dairy and gluten free.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#350472 - 09/30/09 05:46 PM
longhorn76

Reged: 09/27/08

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific brand of Vitamin D that I should look for or just "natural," dairy and gluten free? In the past, I have bought Now and Solgar brand products. I like Now products because their price is more reasonable than some others. Also, what about Fish Oil for IBS sufferers?? Safe?? Thanks.

Edited by longhorn76 (09/30/09 05:48 PM)

#350480 - 09/30/09 07:33 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

My naturopathic doctor told me Omega-3 fish oil is absolutely necessary for IBS because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'm taking two capsules a day, it's Nordic Natural's Pro-Omega.

#350483 - 09/30/09 09:52 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

Quote:

My naturopathic doctor told me Omega-3 fish oil is absolutely necessary for IBS because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'm taking two capsules a day, it's Nordic Natural's Pro-Omega.

I take between 400iu and 1200iu of Vitamin D3 everyday. I havent noticed any benefits on my IBS but it hasn't done any harm either. I also take about 4000mgs of Omega 3 fish oil but that doesn't seem to help much either. P.S. studies have shown there isn't any link between IBS and inflammation therefore your doctor is wrong but it can't hurt to try thats for sure. I also take a ton of probiotics, L-Glutamin, super B complex, digestive enzymes, alfalfa caps, eat healthy and a glass of red wine often with dinner.

Taking all these natural and "healthy" supplements hasn't done a damn thing for my IBS but i can tell you that i havent had a cold in about a year, not even a sore throat and i used to get sick atleast twice a year.

omega 3s and inflammation new
      #350484 - 09/30/09 10:32 PM
frygurl

I find it hard to believe that there is no inflammation with all the digestive symptoms I am experiencing, though I am familiar with the studies you are referencing. I also suffer from intense, frequent heartburn/reflux, which sure feels like some form of inflammation in my stomach.

I personally find it difficult to sort through all the information available for IBS, a lot of which is contradictory (ie: EFI diet vs. wheat free diet). I found a doctor who I am beginning to trust and I am ready to give her treatment plan a try - I already feel like she's doing a lot more for me than my gastro doc and my GP. At any rate, the fish oil is great for your health no matter what.

Re: omega 3s and inflammation/frygurl new
      #350493 - 10/01/09 09:45 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Are you ibs-d? My naturopathic doctor I just started seeing wants me to take fish oil to along with a powder refrigerated probiotic and some type of meal replacement powder to help heal the gut and some vitamins. My main question is I thought fish oils would make the d worse has it made your issues worse? Also what other things does your naturopathic have you on?

Re: omega 3s and inflammation/frygurl new
      #350495 - 10/01/09 10:17 AM
frygurl

I am IBS-A but am more prone to C. I just took my first fish oil capsule yesterday, and I had a horrible flare up of heartburn all afternoon and night, which I think may have been triggered by the fish oil, especially after doing some research online. I emailed my doctor to see if I should continue taking it.

She also put me on a multivitamin containing enzymes and probiotics, L-glutamin, Thyroid Support (she thinks mine is slightly hyperactive based on blood work and my symptoms), Omega-3s, and DGL plus (containing licorice root, marshmallow root, slippery elm, and aloe vera) for my heartburn/reflux. She wants me to continue taking my acaia fiber and my probiotic Florastor. I am also to do castor oil packs 3 times a week for an hour and continue my exercise regiment of 30 minutes on the elliptical 3 times a week, plus yoga three times a week.

#350497 - 10/01/09 11:10 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I suggest you check out Puritan's Pride. They sell high quality vitamin supplements at reasonable prices and often have sales. In-depth descriptions of the products and their components are given at their website www.puritanspride.com You can't go wrong there. They often offer 2 for 1 sales and about once a year 3 for 1 sales, all of which have at least a two-year shelf life.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review