Pages: 1
I went to a naturopathic doctor and here is what she put me on
      #349859 - 09/10/09 02:48 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I went on Tuesday and she is having me do the following
Start my day with 8oz of water with juice from 1 lemon
Aloe- 200C- 3pellets under tongue at bedtime and as needed (this is for the diarrhea)
UltraDophilus DF-1/2tsp in 4-6oz of unchilled water twice daily
UltrainflamX Plus 360- 1 scoop in 8oz of water twice daily as a meal replacement or snack
Tea consisting of Dandelion, corn silk,mullien, chamomile- 2tbsp to 8oz hot or cold 2-3 times a day

She told me to continue with my Lomotil and Librium for now and when i go back in 2 weeks we will see if we can start lowing my doses on the meds. She is also going to be in contact with my stomach doctor so they can work together on this. If this doesn't work then i will stick with the meds the rest of my life I guess. I am trying to be able to get off the meds and heal my gut. She says for every year you have stomach problems it takes about a month to heal so if I don't see results within 4 months or so then maybe it just won't work. I am hoping it does though. I also have to keep a food journal for her to look at. My main question here is has anyone went to a natruopathic doctor and has anyone heard of this stuff or ever taken it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I went to a naturopathic doctor and here is what she put me on new
      #349882 - 09/11/09 05:22 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Are these powder mixes from Metagenics?

ack! new
      #349886 - 09/11/09 07:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sticking to EFI would be way better. Aloe is not going to help D at all. Fennel, ginger, and peppermint teas(along with chamomile) are proven to work.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349889 - 09/11/09 07:57 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

I would be afraid that the lemon water would cause D. I have heard it works like a laxative to keep you regular. I hate IBS

#349896 - 09/12/09 05:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here are a couple of things you might consider.

The fourth ingredient in Ultra Inflamx Plus 360 is fructose which is not IBS friendly. Strange - on the label it says "This product contains no high fructose corn syrup." It contains something much worse - pure fructose

The second ingredient is rice bran. Rice bran is mostly insoluble fiber. This product contains 4 grams of fiber most of which is going to be insoluble fiber from the rice bran. Rice is a cereal grain and cereal bran is known to exacerbate IBS of all types.

UltraDophilus DF is simply acidophilus and it contains milk. This probiotic has not been shown to be effective for IBS. It is good as a general health probiotic.

Although you will take a homepathic dose aloe is never recommended for IBS. See Heather's newsletter on "Aloe vera and IBS".

You might want to try introducing these supplements one at a time each for a few days and see if you have an flare-ups before you introduce the next one.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349913 - 09/12/09 03:10 PM
mrae

KatheC Yes these are powder mixes from Metagenics. Have you had experiences with them? The aloe is supposably diluted to where it cures diarrhea. If its not diluted it causes diarrhea from what I understand. So far though my stomach hasn't been feeling all that well i have been having to take my 2 lomotils and then 1/2 of an immodium and I never have to do that. Usually my Lomotil works great. So I think I am going to go back to what I've been doing that was working. I was just trying to get off the meds but if I have to be on them the rest of my life so be it I guess. At least those work. Its not like I haven't tried all kinds of other things out there.

#349920 - 09/13/09 09:13 AM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I am not too familiar with them, but my husband takes them on occasion. My husband was given the Inflamix and Sustain powders. He likes the Sustain, more than the Inflamix. He gave me a sneak scoop in yesterdays Smoothie, and it got my bowels moving, for sure. I am not a fan of the flavor, is it orange? I prefer vanilla powders better. They are pricey.
In an earlier post, I mentioned I went to a MD doc (tries to go Naturopathic as much as possible) on 2 Sept. He asked me to go on an elimination diet. I started this on 7 Oct. It's been hard. First day was the worst, but finding foods that are GF, corn, sugar, salt, and dairy free is not easy and pricey. I haven't felt much better. It will be a week tomorrow, but am giving it my best shot. I'm getting tired of bananas, chicken, salad, rice, and veges.
I noticed this MD also has the Metagenic products on his shelf, so when I return the first week of Oct, will see if he wants to give them to me too. He also had me do a stool test and I will get those results then too. I am currently taking a Metagenic probiotic, once a day.

#349921 - 09/13/09 11:14 AM
mrae

I am ibs-d and all the stuff she gave me is suppose to help but so far has made things a little worse so I have stopped and went back to my own meds like lomotil and psyllium husk and librium for now until I can tak to her. If things are going to get worse for awhile I will have to wait until i getmy own place to start all that. Me my husband and son live with my sister brother in law and there 6 kids we have 2 bathrooms butstill not always easy to get into one so I don't want things worse while we live here that just makes my anxiety go up.

#349994 - 09/15/09 06:42 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

You may feel worse for a few weeks before feeling better. Hang in there! Give it an honest try

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2015 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3405

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review