All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ATTN: ? for Syl
      #349853 - 09/10/09 01:45 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Hi Syl,
I wrote you earlier regarding fructose malabsorption and my special needs daughter. She has had some really good days now since we started following low fructose diet so feeling hopeful. The only fruits I have been giving her are oranges and strawberries in small amounts. Wondering if these are fine. They are on the articles you referenced but wondering if they are too high in fiber for the IBS.
What fruits and vegetables do you tolerate with your fructose malabsorption? Also is orange flavored citrucel considered safe with FM. Contains sucrose which seems to be safe and also orange flavors(natural and artificial)--didn't know if these were safe.
Thank you Syl, hope to hear from you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ATTN: ? for Syl new
      #349856 - 09/10/09 02:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hello TeresaLouise

I certainly recall your posting. I hope your daughter is feeling better. I meant to respond to the last questions you asked.

I am not sure how to answer your question about fruit. I find that the fiber in fruit and things like the seeds in strawberries & raspberries are a problem. The only fruits I eat are bananas and deseeded kiwi. However, I extract juice from mixed berries, strain it and I put a 2-3 tbsp in the water I use to prepare my oatmeal eat moring. I also use it in sauces, etc. It is a source of vitamins and antioxidants.

I am probably not the right person to ask about veggies. My veggies are restricted to soft boiled carrots and small portions of peeled cooked zucchini. From time to time I might added 1/2-1/3 tbsp peel roasted red peppers or green peas to the carrots.

Generally speaking I follow the EFI guidelines and the guidelines in Table 2 in the reference article on fructose malabsorption and IBS linked to in my signature. I rarely if ever eat anything that I did not prepare myself unless I am travelling. And then I follow strict set rules what I eat out

I stay away from anything containing artificial flavors. Natural sweetners seem okay. It took me a while to figure that artificial peppermint flavor was a trigger but natural peppermint seems to be fine. You might try Heather's Tummy fiber or Benefiber made from wheat dextrin.

If there is anything else I can do to help please ask

Cheers

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349858 - 09/10/09 02:31 PM
TeresaLouise

Reged: 11/29/06

Thank you Syl,
Sounds like then citrucel might not be a good idea because of the artificial orange flavor even though the smartfiber its suppose to be non gas forming. Do you yourself use the Heather's fiber? And do you get gas from it?
Thank you for your tips on the fruits. Will try that with Rosie

#349861 - 09/10/09 04:32 PM
Syl

I don't take a SF supplement anymore. I use to take psyllium husk some years ago. It wasn't a problem for me.

I have not tried acacia. SmartFiber in Citrucel is the same as methylcellulose. It is a SF that is fermented in the colon producing nutrients and gases. Some studies show psyllium produces less gas than methycellulose. Calcium Polycarbophil found in Equalactin and Fibercon is suppose to be nonfermentable in which case not only won't it produce gases it won't produce any good nutrients for the gut . I have heard good reports about Benefiber containing wheat dextrin available only in the US and UK I believe. I am not sure how fermentable it is.

You might have to try a couple of SF supplements until you find the one that works for your daughter.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#349862 - 09/10/09 04:43 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I also rarely eat anything unless I cook it myself, so I'm wondering how your body adjusts to other food when you travel. I've limited travel over the past several years to almost nothing, but I don't want to be afraid to travel because of food.

#349866 - 09/10/09 05:39 PM
Syl

When I travel I can usually find a restaurant that has oatmeal for breakfast. For lunch and supper I look for a place that will prepare a grilled chicken breast, soft boiled carrots and white rice or bake potato. A few times I have had to send the meal back to the kitchen because some clever chef decides to change my request to make it more pleasant A couple of times I have stayed on this basic diet for 2 weeks when away.

Also, I buy a deli chicken or canned of tuna or salmon, some sourdough or French bread and I make chicken sandwiches. If I am going to stay for any length of time i.e. over a week I try to rent a short stay apartment with a fridge and stove so I can prepare my own meals.

I have traveled around the world over the past 30 years. It requires some planning. If you truly understand what base diet suits you and you use some ingenuity you can travel almost anywhere.

--------------------

Syl - about that darn chef new
      #349884 - 09/11/09 06:08 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Ah, the clever chef. Yes, they're the reason I hate to eat out. On more than one occasion, they've tried to cook my grilled chicken in oil, when I specifically asked them not to. I had a waitress at one restaurant (Applebees) look at me like I had requested some strange foreign dish and she came back and said the cook said it couldn't be done. Oil is one of my triggers. So I watched everyone else eat. And I've ordered steamed veggies with nothing on them that came back swimming in butter at another restaurant.

I've recently found that I can eat the turkey on sourdough from Panera though, after carefully looking through their book of ingredients. I think I can count on both hands the number of times I've eaten out in the past couple of years.

I just noticed you've had IBS for more than 40 years. How long did it take you to figure out what worked for you? How many years did you go without knowing what was wrong with you?

Thanks for your help Syl.

Re: Syl - about that darn chef new
      #349902 - 09/12/09 09:42 AM
Syl

I suffered from GI discomfort as a child. I didn't get a confirmation of IBS until I was in my 20s. Overall I have actually had IBS for 60+ years.

For decades I followed the standard advice of a high insoluble fiber diet with no relief. When I found Heather's site I twigged on to the difficulties of insoluble fiber for IBS particularly from cereal grains. Reducing insoluble fiber and increasing soluble fiber consumption made a big difference. About 8 years ago I started to read the IBS research literature on a regular basis searching for more clues. About four years ago I came across a series of articles on the carbohydrate malabsorption also called FODMAP (Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols or FODMAPs) malabsorption (e.g. lactose, fructose, sorbitol, mannitol, etc) and IBS. Once I eliminated fruits, juices, sauces and other food high in excess fructose, sorbitol, etc I noticed another significant improvement in my symptoms. Now I have more ability to manage my symptoms but things are still far from perfect. Recent research has shown that a high percentage (up to 50%) of IBSers have problems with FODMAPs.

While things aren't perfect I have much better control over my IBS symptoms using diet management as long as I keep stress levels low. Generally speaking I follow the EFI guidelines with modifications eliminating foods high in excess fructose and other FODMAPs (See table 2 of favorable and nonfavorable foods in the article on 'fructose malabsorption and IBS' linked to in my signature below). Oh - and I don't take any supplements except a probiotic with Bifidobacterium infantis from time to time. After years of experimenting I found most supplements caused problems

I hope that helps

--------------------

Re: Syl - about that darn chef new
      #349914 - 09/12/09 07:26 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you have a Noodles and Co. near you they are a great safe place to eat. Several of their dishes are safe and they actually do cook to order.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review