All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bentyl
      #349586 - 08/30/09 12:05 PM
vjcblueyes

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

My GI doc is trying me on Bentyl for pain. Has anyone else taken this? I take meds for high blood pressure and from what I have been reading you should not take Bentyl if you have HBP.

Also, I am having another colonoscopy after Labor Day and I read an article not too long ago that someone posted before they had one. It had awesome information in it about what to eat three days prior to the prep and I now I can't find it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bentyl new
      #349595 - 08/31/09 01:35 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i took bentyl for about 2 years it worked well for me. i stopped taking it when i started taking a digestive enzyme that took away all the pain i had. i never have pain at all anymore but i still have the other issues like urgency and gas..so still looking for something to help in that area...

#349602 - 08/31/09 04:03 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

My main issue is urgency also. I use to take immodium and it would take 2-3 hrs to kick in and I could only take it abou 3 days in a row and then I would have to give my body a break. Now I take 2 lomotils in the morning and within about 20 minutes I am good to go all day. I also take Librium for anxiety. The lomotil so far as not constipated me, I am able to have normal bowel movements every morning and then thats when I will take my 2 lomotils. Have you tried this medicaton before? Have you tried immodium before?

#349605 - 08/31/09 04:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Because I only take Bentyl when needed so it doesn't lose effectiveness, I get major dizziness from it and rarely feel the dizziness would be better than pain and cramps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Bentyl - Mrae Question new
      #349616 - 08/31/09 05:41 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Hi Mrae, did you find the lomotil is helping with the urgency? Do you follow Heather's diet? How long have you been on the lomotil and do you think the anxiety pill is helping with urgency issues? Sometimes I think, diet anxiety can bring on the urgency? Do you?

#349625 - 08/31/09 09:06 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

immodium doesn't help my anxious feelings so i don't really feel that it helps me at all..i still get the nervous stomach feeling even when i take it so i still worry that i might need to run to the bathroom i don't take any meds at this time bentyl was the only thing i took before digestive enzymes and now i'm taking the peppermint caps and acacia fiber...the fiber seems to help me in the mornings..

#349631 - 09/01/09 09:34 AM
mrae

I have been on the lomotil for about 6 weeks or so now and it helps extremely well for the urgency issues. The best med I have found yet for it. Immodium worked well to but the lomotil also helps with the cramping. I use to take Lorazepam but it was to strong and couldn't take it in the morning. I know take the librium 25mg and it doesn't make me tired but I think the combination of the lomotil and librium is helping with the anxiety and urgency. I didnt' have anxiety over my ibs until the one time I didn't make it to the bathroom, luckily I was on my period so I had a pad on and it didn't get all over my clothes. That is when my anxiety went through the roof and yes it is a cycle, you get urgnecy issues anyways so then you get anxious but even if I don't feel like I am having a bad urgency day when I leave my house my anxiety kicks up and sure enough it brings on the bathroom issue so I think they play off each other alot. Have you tried any meds for the urgency? I do follow the diet sometimes not to the T but I know what I can handle and can't. I don't eat alot of meat I stick to rice, french bread, oatmeal, waffles that sort of stuff. On occasions Ido eat meat just try to limit it. I also do eat out usually eat a veggie sandwich or some rice, but on occasions eat things I shouldn't but seem to be ok with the lomotil when doing so. I just try to remember just because it works so good doesn't mean I want to go all out with my eating. I try to stay close to the way I was eatng before I found Lomotil.

#349662 - 09/02/09 05:41 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Thanks for answering. Your story sounds just like mine. I too, didn't make it to restroom in time and was also on period, and since that day, my anxiety is making the urgency issues worse. I think being on your period makes it worse too. I've been taking immodium on days when I know I need to be in good shape. If I'm at home or work, then I don't take it. Only when I don't know if a restroom will be around. I stopped Citracel, as I thought this might be causing more urgency, but been off for a couple weeks and still had urgency today. I went to an MD today, who tries to go all natural and not just issue prescriptions. He is having me do a stool test for good/bad flora/yeast count. It is $149, so I am going to do it, just to see what comes back. I'm also going on a food elimination diet starting this weekend for four weeks to see if elminiating all sorts of stuff will make me feel better. I follow Heather's diet pretty close, but I too, don't follow it the T. He also gave me another probitic to try, it's called Proboulardi by Metagenics. I start this after the stool test is done. If none of this works in the next month, I'll go to my GI doc and ask for same meds your on to see if I can stabilize. Thanks for sharing your info, it really helps! I'll let you know if any of this stuff works for me.

#349680 - 09/03/09 01:23 PM
mrae

Yes please let me know how it goes. I am actually going this Saturday to sit in on a 1hr free orientation with a natropathic doctor that deals with ibs-d. Even though I have found meds I would love to find natural supplements that work just as good as the Lomotil. So we will see what info she speaks about and if I think its worth giving it a try. I know it is expensive route to go but if its natural and helps it would be worth it. Right now I am scared to give up the lomotil cause it works great so far.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3944

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review