All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
whole grains: can someone please clarify?
      #349476 - 08/26/09 11:06 AM
Clara818

Reged: 06/08/09

Hi! I noticed that this topic has been discussed before, but I'm still a little unclear.
I know we're supposed to avoid whole wheat, but what about:
-whole grain rice (brown? white?)
-whole grain corn
These are now ingredients in common "safe" cereals.
Thanks, Clara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whole grains: can someone please clarify? new
      #349494 - 08/26/09 04:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Generally most can eat whole grain rice and corn. There should always be a SF base with any food containing IF.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Cereal bran new
      #349581 - 08/30/09 06:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Insoluble fiber from cereal bran (wheat, corn, rice, etc) of any kind can exacerbate IBS symptoms. For example, this 2004 review study of the effect of fiber concluded "Soluble fibre (psyllium, ispaghula, calcium polycarbophil) showed significant improvement whereas insoluble fibre (corn, wheat bran), in some cases, worsened the clinical outcome, but there was no significant difference compared with placebo."

Some IBSers can tolerate some cereal bran when eaten with a good amount of soluble fiber. For example it is best to start by mixing small amounts of brown rice with white rice to determine your sensitivity to rice bran.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Cereal bran new
      #349819 - 09/09/09 06:20 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I would like to try avoiding rice bran. However, I do like to eat rice cakes. All the rice cakes I find are made with brown rice. Does anyone know of rice cakes (made from white rice, I guess) without rice bran?

On another subject, I have been drinking the Amazake rice shakes for several days now. Many of their flavors are gluten free as well (not the mocha java unfortunately). I've started with 1 a day (200 calories) and hope I will be able to increase to 2 a day. I need the calories, being very underweight. So far, so good.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review